Board logo

Rover V8 date of manufacture
r1_pete - 31/7/17 at 10:20 PM

Does anyone know if there is a way to get a date certification for a Rover V8 engine from the engine number?

I remember British Motor Heritage being able to do one for my old MGB. But anyone done it for just the ehgine?

Cheers.

Pete.

Jenko - 1/8/17 at 07:30 AM

Assume you have tried the usual suspects like rimmerbros:

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/content--name-Rover-V8-Engine-Numbers

But I suppose this only gives an approx. yr.

I have a almost the opposite problem with the rover V8 Im putting in a westfield. It has no number on it. It was one of the last RV8 engines built and Landrover did not stamp them!....

r1_pete - 1/8/17 at 08:20 AM

Good luck with that, would it be worth getting hold of a duplicate block, and use its number? When the blocks need skimming the number is often erased, and as long as you scrap the duplicate its not really ringing, its a bit of a cheat but whos to know you havent replaced a damaged block, and the later RV8s were no strangers to dropping liners.

Mine is a low 11A number so its SD1 between 76 and 87, the car is 88, but an early engine would make emissions a bit more lenient.

Agriv8 - 1/8/17 at 09:16 AM

see this post from Cozzer I got a letter from this chap for SVA and it was never questioned seem to remember it cost less than £20

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=139750

regards

Agriv8

Jenko - 1/8/17 at 09:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Good luck with that, would it be worth getting hold of a duplicate block, and use its number? When the blocks need skimming the number is often erased, and as long as you scrap the duplicate its not really ringing, its a bit of a cheat but whos to know you havent replaced a damaged block, and the later RV8s were no strangers to dropping liners.

Mine is a low 11A number so its SD1 between 76 and 87, the car is 88, but an early engine would make emissions a bit more lenient.

I do have the bill of sale from Land rover....they have hand written a number on the bill so closer to the time I will speak with VOSA and get their recommendations.

Irony - 1/8/17 at 10:18 AM

I have a letter from LD confirming the date of manufacture from the engine number. It's at home now but send me a U2U and that will remind me to dig it out later for you. Its got a address and contact details on it.