Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Whiplash
bassett

posted on 14/11/08 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Whiplash

Oops somehow deleted the initial post by accident.

The other day was in a mates car leaning forward when he braked hard from about 80ish. Morning after i had a killing pain in my neck and shoulder. Im having to take 2-4 pain killers to even get up out of bed and quite a few through the day to stop the pain. Am i being a right nancy boy or should the pain be this bad?

[Edited on 14/11/08 by bassett]

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

82 Locost

posted on 14/11/08 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Trapped nerve?

I'd go to see a Doctor who will probably pull your head around for a while, and then give you some pain killers and call you a Nancy Boy.

bassett

posted on 14/11/08 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah ive seen the doctor he played with my head then told me just to take the painkillers i been taking and the max amounts i can take a day.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 14/11/08 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
I know he's a mate,but were there's blame,there's a claim,so milk it for all you can get,take him to court

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

l0rd

posted on 14/11/08 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Still suffer from my accident last November. Standstill in M3, the car behind me decided not to stop and crashed on my car doing about 70+ mph. I was fine atm but next day, i couldn't even get off the bed without actually grabbing my head from my hair to lift it off the pillow.
BenB

posted on 14/11/08 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Yes- whiplash is very painful.
those muscles are quite busy holding your held in place and if you knacker them up you sure know about it for a while.

You might just need some stronger painkillers from your GP. It's important to take something strong enough so that you can begin to start moving your neck again otherwise it's going to seize up...

r1_pete

posted on 14/11/08 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
I know he's a mate,but were there's blame,there's a claim,so milk it for all you can get,take him to court

Yes and contribute further to all our premiums rising.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
joneh

posted on 14/11/08 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Double up with Ibroprofen and paracetamol. Should help.

My necks not the same since I crashed. Go back to your GP - you may get Physio on the NHS if needed.

bassett

posted on 14/11/08 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
The annoying thing is it wasnt even a crash he was just doing a brake test but hadnt said anything and leaning forward i already had taken all the tension of the belt up so all the pressure was on my neck. I had been rear ended in my Fiesta back in the day at around 30mph by a huge Merc but didnt feel half as bad as this.

Yeah i am doubling up, apparently i can have 8 paracetemol and 6 ibroprofen but at halfway through the day i have had loads already. I think the stretches the doctor asked me to do today has up set the muscles as yesterday i was ok for the main part of the day i didnt really notice it and was walking around quite a lot but today ive had more painkillers and feel like i cant move from the couch.

Dangle_kt

posted on 14/11/08 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
I have quite a few issues with my neck after various motorbike accidents. Keep doing the exercises you were told to!

If you lock up, and dont do them then you will end up with a bad shoulder, neck arm, back etc. staying stiff and rigid to avoid a bit of pain now is a BAD idea.

Hurts like buggery doing them, but worth it in the long run. No one told me that, and I wimped out - I still have to go to a sports injury clinic (at £35 a pop!) a few times a month to be beaten up by Helger and her elbows.

RK

posted on 14/11/08 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
It is a potentially serious injury. Get it looked at properly, and don't go for quacks moving it around! It takes days to show up sometimes. Make notes.

Premiums rising have NOTHING to do with claims. They are businesses and will raise rates whenever they are allowed to. See "executive salaries and failing banks" to get the picture. Same attitude.

DarrenW

posted on 14/11/08 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Im afraid it will hurt a lot for a while. I had an accident on 6th October and still in a lot of discomfort. Hospital said take paracetamol and ibruprofen. Doctor then prescribed stronger anti-inflammatories that didnt agree with me, 2nd Doctor prescribed Tramadol, which after some unfounded initial concern have proven to be good. Ive also had 4 physiotherapy treatments too. As said it will take time and do the exercises. Physio told me to expect up to 2 to 3 months before it all settles until it doesnt cause issues anymore then several months to recover completely.

eznfrank

posted on 14/11/08 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Re: Making a claim - essentially this is impossible as there wasn't actually an accident. There was in the past a case that was treated as a test case for the insurance industry where a car passenger tried to claim whiplash in the exact same circumstances. Obviously the insurance industry "took note" mainly because it could potentially destroy the industry and other passenger related businesses if a claim were allowed to succeed.

A successful claim could potentially set a precedent where you would have to sign a disclaimer before getting a taxi or bus.

The case eventually failed as no negligence could be attributed to the driver.

pewe

posted on 14/11/08 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Chiropractor works every time for me (crocked my back, neck & knees up taking up trials riding when I should have been taking up gardening or similar...).
Not cheap but unlike physios they are dealing with backs & necks all the time. Get a good one and they are worth their weight....
I'd wait a couple of days to see if the swelling goes down. Try ice-packs (bag of frozen peas in a cloth) but don't keep it on there too long or you'll freeze the skin. There's a product called Bio-freeze (Boots and some supermarkets like Waitrose) which works well.
Don't leave it to your GP, he can refer you to a Chiro either on NHS or private.
ATB, Pewe

Theshed

posted on 14/11/08 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
As a lurking lawyer I have to disagree with the idea that there is no claim here. On the other hand I am as anti claims culture as the next person and wouldn't dream of grassing up my mate. If a driver conducts an illeagal 80mph brake test on a public road without warning his passengers he is unarguably negligent. It is negligence causing injury that matters not "an accident". Oddly enough for a proper "accident" there can be no claim as nobody is to blame.
bassett

posted on 14/11/08 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Lets leave the claims business for americans. My injury is probably not just down to braking hard as we were on the way to a race at rye house(part of a kart team) and as i felt fine i still raced which probably made the following pain worse. So im just on about the pain and it sounds like pain can vary, i guess i was just unlucky, need to take things easy but exercise the muscles.

[Edited on 14/11/08 by bassett]

DarrenW

posted on 14/11/08 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Ive been finding the exercises hard going which makes the pain killers all the more important. It was explained to me that when joints are injured the muscles around them tighten up to protect them. This however impedes bllod flow to the injury site. By taking pain killers and anti inflmmotories the muscles can relax, allowing the blood to flow and you to do the exercises that will help the joints recover.
If paracetamol isnt working terribly well its worth seeking something stronger.

eznfrank

posted on 14/11/08 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theshed
As a lurking lawyer I have to disagree with the idea that there is no claim here. On the other hand I am as anti claims culture as the next person and wouldn't dream of grassing up my mate. If a driver conducts an illeagal 80mph brake test on a public road without warning his passengers he is unarguably negligent. It is negligence causing injury that matters not "an accident". Oddly enough for a proper "accident" there can be no claim as nobody is to blame.

Yes your probably quite right - what I should have said is that there would be no claim against an insurer - I was in work mode I think. That being said I'm not sure how you'd ever prove it if disputed. Probably all irrelevant in this particluar case cos he's not going to stiff his mate but an interesting discussion none the less - well I thought so anyway.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 14/11/08 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I was only joking about taking him to court,hence my post finished with a you would not have many mates if you took court action against them

cadebytiger

posted on 14/11/08 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
I think cocodamol is about the strongest stuff you can get in your chemist. Had it when i have a tooth ache and it was quite good stuff.

hope you feel better soon

MikeR

posted on 14/11/08 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Friend had knee surgery and the phsyio she went to was, quite franky, poo.

Surgeon was horrified when he saw he after a few weeks as her knee had completely frozen up. She did lots of sports and ended up in tears when he explained to her the situation and how bad it could end up if she didn't act now. What followed was a couple of months intensive and painful physio (with a good phsyio on personal recommendation from the surgeon) and some 'good' pain killers.

She's now ok ....... but it proved to me that a) a good physio and b) doing the exercises are vital.

eznfrank

posted on 14/11/08 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
I was only joking about taking him to court,hence my post finished with a you would not have many mates if you took court action against them

Yeah I know mate, you'd be surprised how many sh1t on their mates when they think there's a few G's in it for them though!

tomblyth

posted on 14/11/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
buy a tens machine best money I've ever spent and its not drug's
link
link

craig1410

posted on 15/11/08 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,
As someone else said, Tramadol is great for relieving muscles which are in spasm (which is quite possibly what you have). You can only get them on prescription so you'll need to see your doctor. They are opioid based and mildly narcotic so take care and seriously don't drive or operate machinery after taking them!!

I find they leave me feeling a bit spaced out for an hour or two and then very sleepy but they are a godsend if you have muscle spasms in the neck region. I had quite distressing neck pain a few months ago where I couldn't sit, stand or lie down without pain and it was driving me nuts. I in turn was driving my wife nuts who sent me off to GP on call. He palpated my neck muscles and said they were "ropey" and then gave me tramadol.

The other thing I would recommend assuming that someone medically qualified has ruled out any serious injuries, is to try neck massage. You can do this yourself by lying on a carpet with a rolled up hand towel under your head. Try lying there and push your head into the towel firmly for 10-15 seconds and then relax. Now use your fingers to massage the muscles at the back of your neck. Repeat the two steps a few times and see how it feels. If it feels worse then obviously stop - hopefully it will help though.

In my opinion paracetamol and ibuprofen won't do sh1t for this sort of thing so either get some tramadol or get some physio/chiro.

Good luck!
Craig.

RK

posted on 15/11/08 at 03:54 AM Reply With Quote
Remember, nobody sues for the fun of it. It is for regaining lost revenues due to missed work and pain and suffering. It's not supposed to be for that extra case of beer every week for a year.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.