Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gear Linkage Pivot
Avoneer

posted on 29/9/05 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Working on an easier and cheaper solution now.

Found a good place for the M8 sphericals, although not as posh as OX's, more like the gold ones I am using.

Watch this space.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tks

posted on 1/10/05 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
mhh

i have made an gear switch system useing an electril RC Servo..

from the quarter scale section.

does anyone have ideas...if there would something an bit powerfull for it?

what would/could happen if i take out the return spring? from the gearbox..??

how much room do we have on the gear linkage, i mean what if the lever doesn't come in his rest position by an couple of degree does the lever/box than damage extra?

how fragile is the box?

what happens witht he box if you drive normally on your bike...

but in every gear you push the lever, the bike enters gear..and you stay and you let the leaver in that pos. for 1 second...

would it sacrafise? would it become damaged? the forks??

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Avoneer

posted on 6/10/05 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Update:

I am using this arm and all seems well, although it's a bit hard to pull the paddles.

Maybe because I've nothing to pull against like the steering wheel.

Anyone know how to mod the leverage to make the paddles lighter, but with the same movement at the gearbox end.

Pat... Rescued attachment Top Arm.JPG
Rescued attachment Top Arm.JPG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Avoneer

posted on 6/10/05 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Another pic: Rescued attachment Top Arm2.JPG
Rescued attachment Top Arm2.JPG

Avoneer

posted on 6/10/05 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
And the last pic: Rescued attachment Top Arm3.JPG
Rescued attachment Top Arm3.JPG

ChrisGamlin

posted on 6/10/05 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Pat

If its all pictured in my head properly, Id say you have two options, either to lengthen the gearbox selector arm and shorten the horizontal part of the rocker arm, that way you retain the movement whilst gaining mechanical advantage by changing the ratio between the length og the selector arm and the length of the rocker arm
Alternatively, you could extend the vertical part of your rocker arm and shorten the distance between the pivot point and the rod connection point on the paddles, if this is adjustable?

Chris

Avoneer

posted on 6/10/05 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

Yep - it's really hard to visualise and work out - even with the thing in front of you.

I might wait until the steering wheel is on and then see what it's like.

It's working out a lot simpler than originally intended as well!

Pat...

OX

posted on 6/10/05 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
i think the problem is the rocker arm,,the vertical part isnt going straight up,its allready over centre .you could try just shortening the the bar down to the gear change lever and lengthening the bar from paddle to rocker arm,,,but i would look for another rocker arm
chrisf

posted on 6/10/05 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Or you could just drill a few holes on the longer arm. Attach the rod end closer and closer to the pivot until it feels better. Your throw will lengthen but it will be easier to shift. When you find the ideal ratio, you can fabricate a new rocker--or not (I wouildn't).

--Chris

OX

posted on 6/10/05 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
yes but the rocker arm would give a better feel if it was shaped like an L rather than _/ lmao,,wish i could explain better
Avoneer

posted on 6/10/05 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ox.

Now I can visualise better having all the parts, I'll have a play with a flat rectangle plate and drill loads of holes in it in different places instead of the top rocker arm, until I come up with the perfect solution.

I'll try the "L" configuration next.

Cheers,

Pat...

Rorty

posted on 7/10/05 at 05:29 AM Reply With Quote
Pat, that upper lever is all wrong; wrong angle, wrong lengths.
If you think of the series of levers and paddle like this: If the levers are all the same length as the paddle (and there is zero stiction in the lever bushes), then the effort to change gear with the paddle would be the same as if you grabbed the bike's shifter the same distance from the shaft as your finger tips are from the paddle pivot. What's more, the tip of the paddle would move the same amount as the point on the bike's shifter where you pushed on it.
If you made the levers all longer than the effective paddle leverage, then the effort to change with the paddle would be increased, but the tip of the paddle wouldn't move very far.
If you made all the levers shorter than the paddle, then you would have a lighter feel to the paddle, but the tip of it would move further.
You can mix and match lever lengths, but if you want to retain a certain ratio, then you'd need to match the inputs and outputs between the levers.
A good way to assess the required length and weight of pull on the paddle is to pull the bike's shifter at different distances from the shaft using just your finger tips. Bear in mind that friction or stiction within the lever bushes will also add a degree of stifness.
If you're having difficulties getting your head around the set-up, I'd make the levers up roughly first from flat bar and just pivot them on plain bolts to start with.
Drill plenty of holes in the levers for quick adjustability and try to match their lengths for consistency.
When you're happy with the feel of it all, then make it up properly and use Teflon impregnated acetal for the bushes.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

Avoneer

posted on 7/10/05 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Rorty,

I've been waiting patiently for you input.

Thanks, I can visualise it much better now.

Will go the "holey metal bar" route this weekend and work out how much the bike lever needs to move up and down and how much the paddle moves and post my findings after the weekend for evaluation.

Cheers,

Pat...

Avoneer

posted on 7/10/05 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Am I best with a straight "L" shape then?

Pat...

chrisf

posted on 7/10/05 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, or more. I think falling rate lever system would be easiest to shift. So at full press, the angle of the rocker will be more than 90 degress. I'd shoot for somewhere in the 60 -75 degree range. If you do it like this, the effort to shift will actually degrease as the rocker moves through its arc.

I did the opposite on my traditional shifter and have a rising rate. Then again, my arm stregth is much more than my finger strength.

--HTH, Chris

Rorty

posted on 7/10/05 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
I agree falling rate is desirable, but is only possible when using two separate rods for up and down changes. With separate rods, you would obviously set the "input" side of the levers so they are at right angles to the rods at full throw.
When a single rod is used for both up and down changes, then the "input" side of the levers (everything being equal) should be positioned at the mid point of the throw, which, unfortunately, constitutes rising rate.
There's a further point to consider: As the actuating rod is attached to one side of your paddle, one side already has a greater advantage than the other. This means you could actually set the "input" side of the levers off centre (of the throw) to gain a falling rate for the side of the paddle with the least advantage.
It's virtually impossible to estimate the angles, but they're achievable on paper or CAD.

As suggested before, drill plenty of holes, and as close to each other as is feasible, to make the mock up as adjustable as possible.
Rather than butchering numerous threaded rods while experimenting, you can simply set two rods alongside each other and join them together temporarily with pairs of hose clips. When the levers and positions are all settled on, you can then cut and thread the rods to the correct length.
I commend using the proper linkage type ball joints and not clevises as the BJs are designed to reduce friction and sloppiness.
If you get the paddle action light and smooth, you'll be delighted, but if it is stiff and requires too much effort, you'll have sore fingers/wrists and be pretty pissed off.

Sorry, that reads like a dreadful sermon, but I hope it's of some use.

Cheers, Rorty.

Coose

posted on 7/10/05 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Mine worked first time!

I used an equal length 90deg bell-crank, and mounted my push-me-pull-you rod about 120mm from the paddle centre pivot. I can't fault it!

[Edited on 7/10/05 by Coose]

[Edited on 7/10/05 by Coose]

Spin 'er off Well...

Avoneer

posted on 7/10/05 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Cheers guys - will take all that onboard this weekend.

Coose - how much movement front to back have you got on your paddles?

Cheers,

Pat...

Avoneer

posted on 7/10/05 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Just noticed that Stuart Taylor have more of a "tick" bell crank than an "L" - even though the two arms of the bell crank are spread out.

Shall I have a go like this?

Pat... Rescued attachment 1.jpg
Rescued attachment 1.jpg

Avoneer

posted on 7/10/05 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
And another pic: Rescued attachment 11.jpg
Rescued attachment 11.jpg

Mad Dave

posted on 7/10/05 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Why not used a cable, its a simple solution?

Description
Description

Description
Description

OX

posted on 7/10/05 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
And another pic:

yes,,it is more of a tick shape ,,but the shape doesnt realy matter its the angles at which they are being pushed and pulled from that makes the difference.
the bar going to the top of the rocker arm is around 90ish degrees and the bar going from the rocker arm to engine is around the 90 mark,,,,the top arm on your rocker arm is leaning so far back that when you are pulling back on it becouse its allready so far back over centre the only way to make it change any better would be to pull the top rocker lever down

Avoneer

posted on 7/10/05 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I tried with this piece of wood.

The only places I could get a proper full shift were with thejoints on A and B.

The paddles have very minimal movement and have to move the lower gear selector arm a long way.

I guess I am showing my non-engineering background here!

Pat Rescued attachment 1.jpg
Rescued attachment 1.jpg

Avoneer

posted on 7/10/05 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dave
Why not used a cable, its a simple solution?

Description
Description

Hi Dave,

Easy solution, but it wouldn't give me the option to increase the ratio of paddle movement to gear lever which needs increasing.

Pat...

Rorty

posted on 7/10/05 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Mad Dave, what prevents your shift lever extension from rotating when you pull on the cable? Rescued attachment Cable_end.jpg
Rescued attachment Cable_end.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.