Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: CAR SOLD
Pulsar

posted on 14/2/08 at 10:08 AM
CAR SOLD

Sorry, I forgot to change this; the car has now been sold. (And I still had to pay Ebay's listing fee after all. Dammit.)

[Edited on 21/2/08 by Pulsar]

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

onzarob

posted on 14/2/08 at 11:08 AM
Wow thats proper rust, havent seen that much since I rebuilt my MK1 Mini in 1989

Shame I always like the look of them

britishtrident

posted on 14/2/08 at 12:26 PM
My neighbour had one when he moved in it was only a couple of years old and he only kept it for 18 months it looked OK but it left a car size rust stain on his driveway..

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

DarrenW

posted on 14/2/08 at 12:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
My neighbour had one when he moved in it was only a couple of years old and he only kept it for 18 months it looked OK but it left a car size rust stain on his driveway..

I bet it only left a half car sized rust stain really

I see someone has put a id on it for a small metal screw. Do people not read.

Humbug

posted on 14/2/08 at 12:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
quote:

I agree people should read, but the title and description are very misleading.

DarrenW

posted on 14/2/08 at 01:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
quote:
quote:

Agreed. He will probs change the add after reading this.

Pulsar

posted on 14/2/08 at 01:32 PM
quote:

In what way are they misleading?

onzarob

posted on 14/2/08 at 01:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pulsar
quote:

In what way are they misleading?

Is it an auction or classified ad?

DarrenW

posted on 14/2/08 at 03:15 PM
Its just that all the way through it reads as a puka auction ad and then right at the very end asks people not to bid or they will get a small stel screw. Some people might miss this bit at the end. Its not us saying it - someone appears to have placed a bid which is how we saw it.

Other than that its a good ad to be fair.

[Edited on 14/2/08 by DarrenW]

speedyxjs

posted on 14/2/08 at 03:20 PM
They are very small cars, might be too small for a donor not to mention the size of engine.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Minicooper

posted on 14/2/08 at 03:50 PM
Am I missing something, is the car for sale or not
What's with the screw bit?

Confused from Chandlers Ford

David

Pulsar

posted on 14/2/08 at 04:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
They are very small cars, might be too small for a donor not to mention the size of engine.

On the contrary, the original locost (based upon the information in the book) is a lot lighter and smaller. And slower, too.

quote:
Its just that all the way through it reads as a puka auction ad and then right at the very end asks people not to bid or they will get a small stel screw. Some people might miss this bit at the end. Its not us saying it - someone appears to have placed a bid which is how we saw it.

Other than that its a good ad to be fair.

[Edited on 14/2/08 by DarrenW]

It may be at the end, but still- there it is in black and white (and now red and white, 36pt).

Pulsar

posted on 14/2/08 at 04:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper

David

No, I just put the ad there for a laugh.

This "you are bidding on a wheel nut" is generally the done thing. Observe:

Link

Link

Link

MikeRJ

posted on 14/2/08 at 04:12 PM
It is a very confusing auction (or not an auction as the case may be).

It reads as though it's an auction for an MOT failed car, and being on eBay, it should either be an auction or a classified advert, but it's neither apparently. If you want to sell it, why not auction it? If you don't want to auction it, why put it on ebay?

jabs

posted on 14/2/08 at 04:12 PM
Ah but in all of those examples the title somewhere contains what is actually for sale, eg wheel nut, whereas your ad doesn't so yours is very mis-leading in that the title, what everyone looks at, does not contain what is for sale and as such is against e-bay rules

[Edited on 14/2/08 by jabs]

Delinquent

posted on 14/2/08 at 04:18 PM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper

David

No, I just put the ad there for a laugh.

This "you are bidding on a wheel nut" is generally the done thing. Observe:

Link

Link

Link

No, they are advertising parts from cars they are breaking, and using the "screw" or "wheelbolt" to work around ebay rules.

You are selling the entire car, according to your ad, but you are presumably trying to avoid listing fees by getting people to contact you outside of ebay - if it gets noticed, it'll get pulled.

2b_pablo

posted on 14/2/08 at 04:27 PM
what bhp are these out of interest?

as for the ad, purely to avoid cost imo

-----------------

if it aint broke... pull it off and upgrade it!

Pulsar

posted on 14/2/08 at 06:41 PM
quote:
No, they are advertising parts from cars they are breaking, and using the "screw" or "wheelbolt" to work around ebay rules.

But they're not working around ebay rules. They're asking people to contact them for parts outside ebay, which is against the rules. Their ads have not been pulled. In any case, I've decided to change the title a little.
quote:
You are selling the entire car, according to your ad, but you are presumably trying to avoid listing fees by getting people to contact you outside of ebay - if it gets noticed, it'll get pulled.

Then why haven't all the other ads been pulled; they're obviously trying to get around listing fees, aren't they? Advertising outside Ebay wouldn't be allowed either, as that's getting around listing fees too, as anyone can recieve an offer and then turn around and say "Oh, someone answered an ad I put in the local paper" and then close the auction before it ends. I've seen it done dozens of times. Funnily enough, none of their ads were pulled either. (Assuming this even allows you to get around the listing fee. I think they've accounted for this.)

Get it? They not likely to pull my ad to the exclusion of all others. I've made it quite clear what my intentions are in the item description.

quote:

65 (stock).

[Edited on 14/2/08 by Pulsar]

jrevillug

posted on 14/2/08 at 08:01 PM
Complying with the letter, but not the spirit of the rules, IMHO.

You would have been better off using a Buy-it-now with Best Offer. You can automatically reject any offers below a certain limit, while choosing to accept any that you would be ok with.

Just my tuppence.

James

Delinquent

posted on 14/2/08 at 08:21 PM
quote:
quote:

But they're not working around ebay rules. They're asking people to contact them for parts outside ebay, which is against the rules. Their ads have not been pulled. In any case, I've decided to change the title a little.
quote:

Then why haven't all the other ads been pulled; they're obviously trying to get around listing fees, aren't they? Advertising outside Ebay wouldn't be allowed either, as that's getting around listing fees too, as anyone can recieve an offer and then turn around and say "Oh, someone answered an ad I put in the local paper" and then close the auction before it ends. I've seen it done dozens of times. Funnily enough, none of their ads were pulled either. (Assuming this even allows you to get around the listing fee. I think they've accounted for this.)

Get it? They not likely to pull my ad to the exclusion of all others. I've made it quite clear what my intentions are in the item description.

quote:

65 (stock).

[Edited on 14/2/08 by Pulsar]

no you're missing my point - they are breaking a car, and the listing is for a bolt from it, the title includes the word breaking so you know you aren't bidding on the whole car instantly. - it doesn't break the rules as the sale is for the bolt, the contact reference is for other items they are not listing.

On yours, the title implies you are selling a car, but then after a long description changes to be a sale for a screw, the sale of the vehicle being via methods outside ebay. It's this that gets you in two ways - firstly under "misleading title" and secondly because the titled item is not available for purchase through ebay, only outside it. Regularly results in ads being pulled.

Not having a go, just letting you know it might well happen.

Pulsar

posted on 14/2/08 at 08:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jrevillug
Complying with the letter, but not the spirit of the rules, IMHO.

You would have been better off using a Buy-it-now with Best Offer. You can automatically reject any offers below a certain limit, while choosing to accept any that you would be ok with.

Just my tuppence.

James

Your tuppence was welcomed. I've never used "best offer", but that would probably be better. I didn't know you could reject. Actually, I'll do it.

speedyxjs

posted on 14/2/08 at 08:51 PM
quote:
65 (stock).

Thats not bad actually from a .7 litre engine

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Pulsar

posted on 15/2/08 at 08:59 AM
I was quite amazed too. That's a higher output than some engines twice its size. There are some people who have tuned them to well over 120bhp. I don't know how reliable they'd be after that, though.
scootz

posted on 15/2/08 at 10:57 AM
What a load of fannying about... either auction the bloody car or put a buy it now on it - these cheap-ass adverts do my head in
Benzine

posted on 15/2/08 at 11:01 AM
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
these cheap-ass adverts do my head in

and they say nurses have it tough...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.