Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: When did it last snow in Africa?
Davey D

posted on 24/12/11 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
When did it last snow in Africa?

So every year we get the same old crap xmas songs pumping out on the radio. Every year Bandaid kindly inform us that there won't be snow in Africa this xmas...

But when did it last snow in Africa?

geoff shep

posted on 24/12/11 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Snow there last time I was there

Ninehigh

posted on 27/12/11 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
About 1.2 billion years ago when the ice caps came down to the equator?

Macbeast

posted on 27/12/11 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Permanent snow on Mt Kilimanjaro ?

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

Slater

posted on 27/12/11 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
This pic was taken 100km south of Johannesburg in August. or 25 deg south of the equator, it felt and looked just like Scotland.

[img] snow in South Africa
snow in South Africa
[/img]

[Edited on 27/12/11 by Slater]

[Edited on 27/12/11 by Slater]

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

omega 24 v6

posted on 27/12/11 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Geoff where was that taken from?? Tanzania side or kenya??
I'm guessing maybe Amboselli??

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

geoff shep

posted on 27/12/11 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
You're right, that shot is from the Amboseli area - never been to Tanzania although it's on my bucket list.

It wasn't supposed to be too serious, although I realise that the Band Aid sentiments are. I suppose it is high enough at almost 20,000 ft for snow but there is also permanent ice some of which has been up there for over 11,000 years supposedly. And it does snow fairly frequently in South Africa, although again this isn't the area they were on about.

omega 24 v6

posted on 27/12/11 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Was in Amboselli Tsavo east and west in 2009 went to Samburu, Kenya Mountain lodge, lake Nakuru and Massai Mara this year.
Such an amazing experience and I guess you'll also know what people mean when they speak about "getting it" and the african "thing" It's something i never expected and quite emotional for so many different reasons.

[Edited on 27/12/11 by omega 24 v6]

twybrow

posted on 27/12/11 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have been sledging, on thr equator in Kenya! Mt Kenya sits on the equator, and when I climbed it, we had fresh snow daily from 2500m upwards. A very surreal experience!
geoff shep

posted on 27/12/11 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, a brain to pick. I lived for a couple of years in Nairobi between age 5 and 7 ish and remember a few things. Had a fortnight there this year with work and went to Amboseli but it was not the best time of year, game-wise. Where has been you best safari location/experience - possible birthday related event there in August this year, which will also escape come of the Olympics!

omega 24 v6

posted on 28/12/11 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Well I really would not know where to start with that one, as there was nothing bad about any of the safari places we were at. Even getting bogged down beside a male lion and losing the whole hub/wheel/disc assembly driving into the Mara was part and parcel of it all. I would however recommend flying into mara ( not done it myself but the 2hrs by road is tortuous and we'd not drive in again unless there were BIG changes to the surface).
it depends what you want to see really.
Lions go to Mara
Cheetahs at both mara and tsavo
rhinos only at Lake Nakuru (well not only but pretty much the only place you are gauranteed a sighting) but really only a day trip/overnight given its size.)
We only saw leopard at Samburu ( and even then we were very lucky).
I'm sure you will enjoy what ever one you choose. Any more help I can be then U2U me and apologies to the OP for blocking up his thread.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 29/12/11 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
It snows down in the Drakensburg Lesotho Nottingham road area almost with out fail every winter.

We lived in Durban and it was very cold at 15 degrees sub tropical but we still swam in the sea every morning drive 3 hrs north inland and we had snow.....

The band aid thing always gets me as its summer at Christmas for most of Africa that i know....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.