Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear Arch Fitting - Any tips?
chrisbmxr

posted on 13/12/18 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Rear Arch Fitting - Any tips?

So, I am about to embark on the first winter job on my MK Indy which is replacing the standard arches with wider ones.

I have the arches now, but I wanted to see if anyone had any tips for getting the best fit?

As I didn't build the car I don't have any experience in fitting rear arches, but my plan is to remove the old arch, offer up the new arch and hold in position with G clamps and try to mark the new arch hole positions to match the current arch mounting positions?

Once fitted and I'm happy, I'll remove and transfer the lights and stone guards etc.

Thanks!!!

Slater

posted on 13/12/18 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Use Tadpole trim, trap the tail in between arch and body. But make some V shaped cuts in the tail so it will fit round the curve with out getting kinked.

Make sure arches are fitted on correct sides, I've left arches seen that have been fitted on the right side, which looks a bit odd.

Fit them with nyloc nuts/bolts and penny washers to spread the load. Think I used 5 or 6 on each arch.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

rusty nuts

posted on 13/12/18 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
When i fitted mine i measured from the center of the wheel to the arch lip and tried to get the measurement as even as possible, nothing looks worse than a massive gap all round IMHO but make sure you have enough gap for full suspension travel
SPYDER

posted on 13/12/18 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Spend an extra tenner and use stainless fittings.
nick205

posted on 13/12/18 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Good advice above, tadpole trip with V cuts in the tail so it follows the curve of the arches, stainless nut/bolt/penny washer fixings so you can remove the arches in the future and ensure you get them the right way around.

Take your time as well to make sure you get a matching fit and finish across both sides!

Bluemoon

posted on 13/12/18 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Stick camping Matt on inside of arch stops stones cracking glass fiber.. Used old fashioned impact adhesive..
SPYDER

posted on 14/12/18 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
In a similar vein to the above I sprayed the inside of my rear arches with a thick rubberised coating that also contained embedded GRP strands.
I'll try to find the name of it.

jossey

posted on 16/12/18 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
I attached my rear arches with plastic radiator fixing kits. So when I hit something on the track they break off and don't damage the bodywork.

The rubber trim from Woollies I put between them but the fitment on the westfield was really good so I didn't use it for that.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Angel Acevedo

posted on 8/9/19 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all...
Sorry to hijack post, but this is the newest thread more or less on topic...
My rear arches do not have a mounting flange, I am thinking to make some 1.5 mm thick stainless steel angle brackets and use a couple of rivets to the skin and one allenhead screw with washer to attach the arch to the brackets.
Planning on 5 per side.
Does anyone on here has attached arches without flanges to bodywork?
Pics any?
5 Brackets per side enough? Too few? Too many?
Thanks in advance.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 8/9/19 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
If they are glass fibre I would have a look at fitting some flanges using glass fibre matting and resin , should be easy enough to make a neat, strong job.
Angel Acevedo

posted on 9/9/19 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
If they are glass fibre I would have a look at fitting some flanges using glass fibre matting and resin , should be easy enough to make a neat, strong job.

This was what I wanted originally...
But then I painted them and I don´t want to mess around with fiberglas..
Thanks.
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.