Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sealing fibreglass on back side
westf27

posted on 24/1/24 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Sealing fibreglass on back side

I want to seal the raw surface on the rear of various body panels.I was thinking of some sort of rubberised stonechip.Brushable would be good.Welcome your thoughts and what you suggest product wise.

peter030371

posted on 25/1/24 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
I have used Tetroseal underbody sealant on two different Strikers now. It is thick enough to seal and protect the underside of wings from stones chips etc without adding to much weight. Also used it on the rear tub, nosecone and bonnet to protect them a little plus gives a better finish to the gel coat by having an even dark layer on the inside IMHO.

On the first Striker it still looked new when I sold it after 18 years

Current Striker is now nearly 7 years old and again still looks like new. Only done about 1300 miles but most on track at up to 120mph with the odd stone (cough....or cone!) flying up under the wheel arches and no issues with cracked gel coat or carbon (front wings are carbon)

Slater

posted on 25/1/24 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
The rubber stonechip stuff will add a fair bit of weight to a fibreglass panel. I left my rear tub, bonnet, side panels, scuttle, nose cone & front cycle arches bare, but the back of the fibreglass seats, that are on show, I sprayed with some matt black paint from rattlecan just to improve the look. The inside of the rear arches, I glued some 10mm foam camping mat to stop stones impacting and causing damage, very light weight.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/1/24 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
On my JBA falcon I simply used underseal on the inner wings and it did the job and lasted many years. Never got any stone grazes or damp soaking in despite being used all through the winters.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.