Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Good Evening!
geeksandlies

posted on 10/4/10 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Good Evening!

Hi All,

A new member for you to poke fun at! My book arrived 2 days ago and i have just got clearance from the missus to build the workshop to build the car in. Thought i should get some mega research done and was looking for a place to allow people to point and laugh at me during my build and what is set to be a big learning curve. I trained for 1 year as a mechanic but had to give it up for personal reasons so whilst reasonably handy with a spanner i have no idea how to weld!

So about this workshop...... anyone else built something specific for this? Dimensions set out by the missues means i will get something about 8ft by about 15ft!

Ta

Dan

Talon Motorsport

posted on 10/4/10 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Nice size shed to work in then. Might I suggest you have a look on the Haynes roadster forum as well.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 10/4/10 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Dan, welcome

Re the workshop, amend the dimensions to metric and miscalculate slightly as you need at least 20 x 20 - you need a build area and a work area

As for the welding, plenty of places to buy a chassis which should save a couple of days

I'd suggest a Rover V8

ATB

Simon

ReMan

posted on 10/4/10 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
"I'd suggest a Rover V8"

Honda 50

geeksandlies

posted on 10/4/10 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Ok so in metric i have been given an area 2.5-3.0m x 10.0-11.0m but i also have anohter smaller shed that i plan to use for cutting machining etc so that takes the edge off a little!

have been looking around and making my engine choice and was considering something different and using a vag 1.8 20vt as they have a very good tourque and power output that i easily tuned to 250ish bhp for no more than a grand on the 180bhp variant, but i need to work out the running gear. although the bmw striaght six option does apeal i had an e36 320 that i loved and miss terribly! The noise was amazing on full beans and never failed to put a grin on my face!

geeksandlies

posted on 10/4/10 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Also where are people buying packs or chasis from for these, whilst i want to learn to weld this will save me a huge amount of testical ache, depending on costs of course!
Daddylonglegs

posted on 10/4/10 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Well done, another one on the way

Sure you'll get loads of questions answered on here.

Always good for some incentive when you're feeling that it's becoming a bind

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

jacko

posted on 10/4/10 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Not saying you can't build a car in that size garage but it is a bit small my garage is 5.5m square and that is tight
Jacko
PS welcome to the mad house

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
geeksandlies

posted on 10/4/10 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm doubt i will get away with 5 wide 3.5 TOPS and i mean TOPS! doh ah i'll give it ago anyway garage is 4 wide so i am sure alot of flowers or jewlery might get me that instead come engine and wheels time
geeksandlies

posted on 10/4/10 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
of course i could ask the question as i left the book at work but what the dimensions of the car complete roughly?
andrew

posted on 10/4/10 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
only my opinion but i would go down bmw route got 350 hp out of my3.0 e36 , go for a wide body style get engine as far back as possible mine is only 6"behind dash and got radiator inside front crossmember aswell, exhaust can be a problem with it being so short,
geeksandlies

posted on 10/4/10 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
well i know of a good 2.8 that will be coming up in 6 months and i i know a man who can with a an lsd for the rear diff, we have got a 2.8 up to about 250 bhp wihtout too much faff! Also being a straight 6 the torque is a contast build up rather than a peak power band from a 4 banger!

[Edited on 10/4/10 by geeksandlies]

andrew

posted on 10/4/10 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
as for workshop mine is 60x30 and i still fall over everything mind you everything lives on the floor , so i would sugest buy a marque the size of the garden problem solved, but seriously if you are tidy you will be ok
coozer

posted on 10/4/10 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
HandyAndy of Satrun Sportscars is your man for a chassis pack. All cut to correct lengths and angles and marked up as such makes the assembly much easier.

Have a look over on the Haynes forum...

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Handyandy and Spud69 run Saturn. They can supply complete chassis and everything else you may need.

Good luck
Steve

[Edited on 10/4/10 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

RichardK

posted on 10/4/10 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome mate, get used to using the search function on this site, majority of questions have already been asked many times and will save you loads of times, especially try and do a quick search just before doing a specific job as it may indicate a potential pitfall you would want to know about.

I personally would go down the tried and tested zetec route type 9 etc for your first build. Then upgrade later

Chassis packs can be purchased from HandAndy on here, just u2u him and he'll get back to you, he's also very active on the Haynes Roadster forum.

So welcome mate and don't be afraid of asking any questions even if you think they are stupid after doing a search. I happen to like the stupid questions as they are the only ones I can answer!

Try and get yourself to the Stoneleigh show too, that should give you loads of motivation too. So when you get the inevitable low point in any build you'll be able to look back and see those gorgeous cars which should help to keep your pecker up, so to speak...

Take care

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

handyandy

posted on 10/4/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
HandyAndy of Satrun Sportscars is your man for a chassis pack. All cut to correct lengths and angles and marked up as such makes the assembly much easier.

Have a look over on the Haynes forum...

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Handyandy and Spud69 run Saturn. They can supply complete chassis and everything else you may need.

Good luck
Steve

[Edited on 10/4/10 by coozer]

Thanks Steve & Richard K

Happy to help in any way I can,
could even take a chassis kit to Stoneleigh for pickup from there, saves alot in postage.

cheers
andy

geeksandlies

posted on 10/4/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
you lot are going to be a bad influence on me i can tell, i like this hahaha!

Seriously though i will be at stoneliegh, it became a must when i decided it was time to build! i take you guys have a stand there i can pop and see (thats Saturn and Locostbuilders?)

Probably wont be ready for a chassis until near the end of the year due building the workshop! I have to build it myself from materials as the size i want is a rip off from most places, can build my own insulated with power for half that!

handyandy

posted on 10/4/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
yes, we,ll be at Stoneleigh , pop along to see us & say hi,
see the finished car & chat all things Roadster,
with regard a chassis, no prob, when the time is right for you, you know where I / we are

cheers
andy

RichardK

posted on 10/4/10 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be drunk bloke next to the black and blue locost on the locost stand !

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

handyandy

posted on 10/4/10 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
I'll be drunk bloke next to the black and blue locost on the locost stand !

Cheers

Rich

If we all stand around your car Richard, any of us could be you all with a beer in hand .

cheers
andy

jollygreengiant

posted on 11/4/10 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Dan, welcome to the mad house.

As for the size of garage, well it is possible, with care, to build a car in a workshop not much bigger than the car. I built a Luego Viento in my garage. The internal width of it gives me about 6 inches, YES 6 INCHES (about 125mm) each side of the car and I only have about 3 three inches clearance through the garage door. Length wise I have about a foot to spare. These photo's will give you some idea of space in the garage
4 wheels on my wagon.
4 wheels on my wagon.

and

and

and finally

All it takes is a little thought about what you are doing and when, it also makes you clean and tidy up each time.

Good luck with your build and I look forward to seeing you at Stoneleigh.

PS. I'll be loitering around the Luego Club pitch outside with my car.

[Edited on 11/4/10 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

speedyxjs

posted on 11/4/10 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Not saying you can't build a car in that size garage but it is a bit small my garage is 5.5m square and that is tight

Thats huge! Mine is only just over 2m x 5m and iv got loads of junk piled up at the back so its more like 2m x 4.3m!

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

iank

posted on 11/4/10 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
This was posted the other day.
http://www.carryduffdesigns.co.uk/enter.html
Gives a good idea of how much room various sizes of garage will have based on a VW beetle.

3mx10m will be fine - much more than most of us have, the bigger the better.

5.5 square isn't huge, but you don't need that much width if you have the extra length - it's more than I have

I want this one

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

geeksandlies

posted on 12/4/10 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Is it classed as cheating if i buy the full kit from Saturn for the car? I really would like to learn to weld but to be honest i am not sure i can be a55ed to learn to weld that well. I mean i can do basic bits of tac but i fear this sort of welding could be beyond me! Although i do love the through of a car entirely built buy me! Oh the turmoil!!

In other news having done some research i am on my first round at least going to go zetec/type 9.

I love the idea of something crazy like a v8 or a straight 6 or a 1.8 vag turboor even a bike engine but my youthfull inexperience would only come back to haunt me so i figure start simple build it up from there!

Steve Hignett

posted on 12/4/10 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Just buy the chassis - it will be SO much better in SO many different ways (based on what you've said so far...)

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.