Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: EV's here to stay...
SteveWalker

posted on 21/3/24 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I think the problem with using solar for EV is simply they normally get charged at night. So unless you have a storage battery or settle for get paid for suppling your excess back to the grid that isn't going to be much use.

With the rise of hybrid working, many cars at sat at home, during most of the day, 4 or 5 days a week. However, sometimes the price paid for exported electricity vs the reduced price you pay for charging at night, can mean that it is worth exporting all your solar power and charging the car off the gid at night. Indeed, with some tariffs, you can make a profit by charging a house battery at night and exporting the power in the day, without having solar panels at all!

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/3/24 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker

Indeed, with some tariffs, you can make a profit by charging a house battery at night and exporting the power in the day, without having solar panels at all!

that's mental, I'd not even considered that. I have visions of someone with huge banks of old EV's batteries & chargers all humming away in their garage!

"Well, he seemed such a normal neighbor before his house exploded!"

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWalker

posted on 21/3/24 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
At least one energy company was advertising that option themselves a while ago - it gives them "cheap" power when demand is high, without them having to invest in their own storage capacity.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.