Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: is it easy to swap to bec??
boggle

posted on 2/4/10 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
is it easy to swap to bec??

im looking at going to a fireblade engine...

will i still be able to use my megajolt system, as the engine i have looked at is just the bare engine and box...

also what how and where do i get a reverse bit....and prices..

also paddle shift or center shift??

and is it easy to make??

cheers

barry

[Edited on 4/4/10 by boggle]

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

RichardK

posted on 2/4/10 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Don't think so, not sure where the trigger wheel would go on a bike engine.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve Hignett

posted on 2/4/10 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Sell the megajolt aswell and just use the ECU that's in the fireblade loom (less than £50 for the lot)

Make your own reverse with a starter motor engaging a ring gear which would be sandwiched between prop and diff.

Paddle shift or sequential gear? no matter, it's personal choice - paddle for me everytime...

And, YES!!!

Get it done mate!!!

matt_gsxr

posted on 2/4/10 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
On my GSXR1100 I swapped the original trigger wheel to drive a megasquirt. But my 36-1 wheel didn't work so well (wheel is too small, so teeth were a bit too close) so I modified it into a 12-1 wheel. It was quite a lot of bother especially as I have had to reinvent my own timing table. If you don't have a TPS output from the carbs, then there won't even be any benefit.

I think it will be better to get the original ECU and such unless you like doing things un-necessarily complex (like me).

Have you considered a different engine to the Fireblade? The costs of converting include:
Manifold (£300)
New prop
Prop adapter (£50)
Clutch mods
Airbox
Re-wiring
Mounting

It seems a shame to economise by putting in an early blade engine, when you can get R1 or even zx10r for very reasonable money.

Matt

boggle

posted on 2/4/10 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
define resonable money??

im hoping to get around £600 for my pinto setup so would like to go bec for this.....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

matt_gsxr

posted on 2/4/10 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
7 R1 engines on e-bay from breakers. Between £500 and £950 for a 2003 year model.

You would need to add carbs to this price as they have removed them and also add the price of an ecu plus a few loom bits.

I think £600 is a bit of a challenge, but if you built a car for £250 then it is easy!

Matt

Steve Hignett

posted on 2/4/10 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
I think an R1 would be stretching it, but with help/advice off here, and doing all the work yourself, you could do a Blade conversion for that money...

eddie99

posted on 2/4/10 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Don't do it!!!!!! Sorry i can't help with costs though!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ReMan

posted on 2/4/10 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
So did you not make an offer on this?
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=133112
Dont underestimate the Blade it's still quicker than me 3 years on

clairetoo

posted on 3/4/10 at 05:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
Don't do it!!!!!! Sorry i can't help with costs though!

+1

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

boggle

posted on 3/4/10 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
So did you not make an offer on this?
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=133112
Dont underestimate the Blade it's still quicker than me 3 years on

i did, and im still waiting to hear back....

u2u me for details

adithorp

posted on 3/4/10 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Do it, do it, DO IT!

Don't listen to the nay sayers. £600 will be tight though.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

daniel mason

posted on 3/4/10 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
you will more than likely need a new diff also,depending on your ratio!
and the bec diffs generally are not cheap
3.62 or 3.38

Davg

posted on 3/4/10 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
'i did, and im still waiting to hear back....'

Boggle sorry, I assumed that in absence from any response to my u2u you were not that bothered and additionally that per your other posts you had not even made up your mind on going BEC! Give me a shout after the guys at Detling have kindly offerred you a run once you decide.

(given the package on offer bit low, if it was an offer!)
cheers D

Oh yeah in answer to your post, given the services you have available should be a scoosh to you to do, as said you can do the starter motor reverse thing although make sure you know it's limitations. Paddle shift system should be easily made up by yourself also. When you are looking at engines make sure you factor all the bits to make it go ECU, fuelling ie carbs or Inj, pump, manifold & propp adapter. Again as said sell off your megajolt.
cheers
D

[Edited on 3/4/10 by Davg]

[Edited on 3/4/10 by Davg]

Dangle_kt

posted on 3/4/10 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

A BEC conversion will be tough for £600 to be honest.

Even a blade

I paid near £300 for the the engine (inc delivery £70 on a pallet)

£130ish for exhaust

£200 for the TRT prop

£50 for loom

£50 for carbs

£20 for airbox

£30 for the prop adapter

£20 for ecu

pretty much all second hand - and very lucky to get then for the prices I paid (esp the engine and exhaust) - a lot of the stuff could have been shagged, but thankfully it wasn't.

it soon all adds up - that said I sold the zectec package that was in it when I bought it for more than I paid out, so it didn't really matter.

All things considered part of me wishes I'd kept it CEC for those more leisurly moments, BUT a bigger part of me is chuffed to bits with the blade lump, having it screaming away out of the corners lighting up the rear tyres, the sequential box, the acceleration - it is MAGNIFICENT!

Go out for a ride in one - THEN make your mind up. But be sure, and do it becuase you want, not for silly pub banter points.

A bec is a pretty comitted car, which makes it very rewarding on the right roads, and a pain in the ass on the wrong ones.
P.S - a lot of those prices are rough guestmates... it was a while ago!
[Edited on 3/4/10 by Dangle_kt]

[Edited on 3/4/10 by Dangle_kt]

mark chandler

posted on 3/4/10 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
My 918 blade engine is squirted only, just used the standard bikes ecu to fire the coils.

Just use the tacho feed to drive MS.

It made a big difference above dyno jetted carbs.

CEC to BEC, are you track focused then yes, if not then maybe.

To covert £400 engine, £150 prop does not leave a lot over to do anything else.

Regards Mark

dlatch

posted on 3/4/10 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
i really think we all need two cars one with a Cec for normal road use and a bec version for when you have the need for speed or deluded F1 fantasy

have to say i was set on getting a bec but after a few rides i knew straight away yes i would love it on track but on road it would make me lose license pretty quick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Davg

posted on 3/4/10 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
dlatch
Yep and I am sure you keep to 30 in your Zetec

twybrow

posted on 3/4/10 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
I've not yet been in a CEC that gives quote the same silly grin that a bike engine can bring. This is not to say there aren't any, as I suspect there are plenty, but for such an occasional car, the added buzz of the bike engine is perfect. I use mine mostly on roads, and have had no issues with not having a reverse, or traffic, or overheating. Compared to your Pinto, any bike engine will change the feeling of your car completely. Don't forget you will need new springs as the car will be considerably lighter (and therefore better!). DO IT!
boggle

posted on 3/4/10 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
i have a set of zx9r carbs at the mo waiting to go on the pinto...

i can get a zx9r engine for £350...so that puts me part way there...then a pump for £15....ecu i havent looked into yet....exhaust i can make myself...

im probably going to use it for a few sprints and hillclimbs and the odd day out...i want to build something that i can push and enjoy, ive got my vectra for plodding around...

i just want to build the car to the best of my abilities and make it as good as i can...if that makes sense?? i dont paln on having it back on the road this year so time is not a factor...but i dont want to buy things twice anymore...i want to get the right bits first time..if thats possible??

cheers for all the help guys....

barry

u2u me for details

Davg

posted on 3/4/10 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you have decided then?
boggle

posted on 3/4/10 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
one thing that my misses asked is if you have a 900cc bec, do you pay lower tax???

u2u me for details

Steve Hignett

posted on 3/4/10 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Yep!!!

boggle

posted on 3/4/10 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davg
Sounds like you have decided then?

i think i have pretty much decided, i need to gather as much info now as possible on the instalation etc...hoping detling will have some answears....

so what is the senses on the ninja engine???

am i going to have to go on a diet???

u2u me for details

Davg

posted on 3/4/10 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Just taxed one of the R1's 998cc

£125 - year
or
£68.75 - year

assuming yours is already reg'd as a pinto you will have to apply to the god's to have it reclassed once done with a report.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.