Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: is it easy to swap to bec??
jimgiblett

posted on 5/4/10 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
T'was damp and greasy. No place for heroics, leave that for Brands or Stelvio in the snow

- Jim

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
"... lack of traction and constant driver imput..."
I instantly recognised that as Jims, "try and scare the bejesus out of them" demo' driving style.

I take it the V6 was Clairs car?

adrian

adithorp

posted on 5/4/10 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
So not like when you took the manageress from the hotel in Laon out and you were still going sidways as you went past on the by-pass?

quote:
Originally posted by jimgiblett
T'was damp and greasy. No place for heroics, leave that for Brands or Stelvio in the snow

- Jim

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
"... lack of traction and constant driver imput..."
I instantly recognised that as Jims, "try and scare the bejesus out of them" demo' driving style.

I take it the V6 was Clairs car?

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

jimgiblett

posted on 6/4/10 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
She told me she didn't have much time for a drive out and it would need to be quick

I think that's what she said

andrew.carwithen

posted on 6/4/10 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boggle
well...

my 1st run out was in a R1 powered Fisher Fury. my first impressions were poo this thing is lively!! lack of traction and constant driver imput were apparent from the off, this was the first thing that appealed to me!
Acceleration to 70mph was very quick but the fact that the engine sounds like its screaming its nuts off at 70 was a bit strange, but i suppose if you are used to riding high powered bikes this is the norm?

I also liked the fact that you can change gear without the use of the clutch, but i'm not sure on the paddle change idea.

I was surprised at how well behaved it was at low revs and pulling away...

I came back with a smile on my face...

then i was taken for a spin in another fisher fury with a v6 engine, straight away you can feel the difference in low end power and weight. the car felt a lot more planted and stable at high speeds but i think this could easily lure me into a false sence of security and take that extra feel for granted, the BEC always seemed to be asking for driver feedback.

acceleration wise i could not tell which was quicker, both went like the clappers and both sounded amazing.

i think that for long distance work or regular use or even gentle runs out the CEC would be the way to go however, the BEC appealed to me more because of the constant driver vehicle interaction would suit me more especially as i dont intend to drive like miss daisy and will be using the car for some competition use..

Looks like its gonna be a BEC for me in the locost. However, my wife and i have decided that the next build will be a fisher fury with a car engine, possibly a rover v8.

Cheers for all your comments and advice.

both cars were amazing and its taken me a good few hours to finally decide what i want to do......cheers to both people for your rides out, claire too and the other chap whos name i have forgotten...

Barry

[Edited on 4/4/10 by boggle]

Do you intend to carry passengers regularly?
Because in a BEC, you certainly notice a drop in performance with the additional weight of a passenger (well that's what I find with my blade engine.)

adithorp

posted on 6/4/10 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew.carwithen
quote:
Originally posted by boggle
well...

acceleration wise i could not tell which was quicker, both went like the clappers and both sounded amazing....

Barry

[Edited on 4/4/10 by boggle]

Do you intend to carry passengers regularly?
Because in a BEC, you certainly notice a drop in performance with the additional weight of a passenger (well that's what I find with my blade engine.)

Which was why he couldn't feel a difference in performance. 2 up the R1 was as quick as was Claires V6; Solo the R1's very quick.
Even with 18stone passengers in my car, they are never unimpressed. But you have to drive one solo, to truly know what it's like.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

boggle

posted on 6/4/10 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
my plans on the car have changed drastically now and i have finally set my sights on the car being used 90% for sprints and climbs....

i dont mind a drop in performance if the wife is with me.........

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

budha

posted on 6/4/10 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Very interesting thread. I am also considering to swap to bec at the moment. My old xflow broke down last year.
boggle

posted on 6/4/10 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
if you havnt been out in a BEC then i would say its worth a go.......they are not for everyone but, if you come back with a grin then you will know its for you!!!

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

budha

posted on 6/4/10 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quite hard to find one here in germany ;-)
boggle

posted on 6/4/10 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
looks like you need a holiday to stoneleigh !!!

u2u me for details

budha

posted on 6/4/10 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
I planned a visit to stoneleigh this year.
But unfortunately i cannot go. I have to work
Maybe someone who is visiting the nurburgring could take me for a spin?

[Edited on 6/4/10 by budha]

jimgiblett

posted on 7/4/10 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Will the German authorities allow a BEC.

Whereabouts in Germany are you? We are visiting the Vosges Mountains and will be near the border as we travel down to Switzerland in June.

Cheers

Jim

budha

posted on 7/4/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I am quite confident that I can get the car road legal here as well. Already in contact with our TÜV.
I am from Frankfurt. Would really like to have a ride in your car. But anyway I have to make a discission soon.
At the moment the striker is sitting in the garage without an engine and the weather is getting better and better...

FFTS

posted on 7/4/10 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
SO!!!!!!

Which is best BEC or CEC??

Opinions anyone? Mwuuhhhahahaha!

(as he stands back to watch the fireworks)

Chris.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.