Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Increasing problems selecting reverse - Type 9
Slater

posted on 15/10/15 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Increasing problems selecting reverse - Type 9

Hi
I have increasing problems selecting reverse gear in my Type 9, it was fine to start with but over 2 years use it's now almost impossible.

Its a push down and push the lever to the left and forward. No quick shift fitted, just bog standard but with the lever length cut down slightly by myself.
I have removed the lever, to my untrained eye I can't see any problems. There is some grease in there.

Here are some pics of the bottom of the lever and the back end of the box. The lever pushed can be pushed down OK against a spring with respect to the triangular mounting plate.

Any advice please??? Can you see anything amiss?

[img] gear lever small KS
gear lever small KS
[/img]

[img] yype 9 KS samll
yype 9 KS samll
[/img]

[Edited on 15-10-15 by Slater]

[Edited on 15-10-15 by Slater]

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

MsD

posted on 15/10/15 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
There should be a black plastic saddle that sits inbetween the forked end of the gear lever. it looks like its inside the gearbox. If you take that out and check the condition of it that might be your problem. they are prone to wearing out over the years.
Mark.

David Jenkins

posted on 15/10/15 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Is the little plastic saddle that the gearstick's fork fits into in good condition? If you didn't know it existed - it clips over the rod inside the gearbox hole, and can be pulled out with a finger-tip. They do wear out, eventually. (too slow!)

Apart from that - when you push the gearstick down, are you able to push it to the left? If not, see if you can find another gearstick and try that - maybe something has slipped out of place where the steel shaft goes through the plastic ball joint. You will only need to borrow another gearstick for a half hour or so to prove the point.

[Edited on 15/10/15 by David Jenkins]

janis

posted on 15/10/15 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
I had same problem recently and many do..is it selecting any better when cold or engine is off?its most likely clutch cable..for some reason reverse is impossible to select if its not tight enough..try and put like wisegrips as spacer on cable at pedal box that cable woud go futher and see if it works..then get new cable..if u have manifold on drivers side then its heat what couse it stretching..then u can buy sierra cosworth cable witch is much longer and goes all around manifold and away from heat..
David Jenkins

posted on 15/10/15 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
That was going to be my next comment - if you can push the gearstick down and push it left and forward, but you can't engage the gear, then it may be a dragging clutch.

Do you ever have problems getting into 1st?

Slater

posted on 15/10/15 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
David
I have no problems getting into 1st.

Does any one have a pic of the saddle thing?

I can't see if it's in there or not, I tried using pliars to pull it off the rod but it won't come out, it feels sort of hard plasticy.

I will check on the clutch cable.

Thanks for comments. so far.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

David Jenkins

posted on 15/10/15 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
gearstick saddle thingy

This is just 1 website - it was the first that came up in Google.

Note: if it isn't there, or badly worn, then the gearstick will be very wobbly and imprecise.

[Edited on 15/10/15 by David Jenkins]

Slater

posted on 15/10/15 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
It turns out my gearbox has been slowly moving to the right and the lever is now fouling the chassis (this was covered up with the gaitor so I did not realise), so I have now adjusted my gearbox mount and it now seems to get into reverse. I will check for sure once I get the car back together. I had to remove the dash to get the gear lever out.

The saddle is defo there and does not look worn at all. Thanks for the link David.

A locost fix!!!!! Yipeee.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.