Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto non runner
chrisg

posted on 27/7/02 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
My engine is from the dark ages!

Tried the oil down the bores - no luck

I think it started and then as it warmed up the clearances have closed stopping it.

Steve, mate, If i could get it running would!!

Cheers

Chris

(well pissed off)

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

johnston

posted on 28/7/02 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
basically then its heat seizing witout very much heat????mmmm

instead of the new short motor why dont u get it reborred by a few more thou

chrisg

posted on 28/7/02 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
I could do that but it may be the crank or big end bearings, it's probably easier to get a new block - anybody got one?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 28/7/02 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
yeah, heat seizing without a lotta heat is weird.

So, once it stops, trying to turn the crank with a spanner finds it seized?

If your engines basically trash, why not go for it and start it up one more time with some 2 stroke oil in the petrol for extra lube and keep the revs up. if it comprehensively siezes, then you will know!

did you try and turn the crank? this sounds so weird.

When my last co car was new it ran so bad in the first 20 miles i nearly drive it right back but it cleared. they all did that i was told and the car never makes full power, according to mfr, until about 6k! Maxda 323 xzi V6 2 litre.

atb

steve

stephen_gusterson

posted on 28/7/02 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
do you still get a spark once it spins - even so it could be the coil breaking down...try another?
chrisg

posted on 28/7/02 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
yeah the spark and fuel are good but it is very tight to turn with a spanner, I'm trying to start it but it won't have it now

If it starts again I'm going to rev the balls off it and try to loosen it up.

Have a look in the corner of the garage guys - no pinto blocks there are there?

Cheers

Chris

interestedparty

posted on 28/7/02 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Chris, reading through this thread it seems you have rebuilt this engine since it last ran. Are you absolutely certain that the cam timing is right??? Not a notch or two out is it?

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

chrisg

posted on 28/7/02 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi John,

It has run since the rebuild and i've checked the timing four times now.

Bugger

Cheers

Chris

johnston

posted on 28/7/02 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
try ian harwood usually has a load of blocks for sale

wouldnt think it would be bearings they would normally turn in the housings

stephen_gusterson

posted on 29/7/02 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Chris :

Another radical idea (it works on robot wars!).

Might cost you a visit to the breakers for a new starter motor after tho....

Perhaps engine isnt firing cos its not getting the speed from the motor.

Try TWO 12v batteries in series to the MOTOR ONLY!. That should give you a lot more oomph to get it spinning and hopefully fire. Quick start spray might also encourage it to pick up.

Have a bucket of water ready in case you get fire no 3......

atb

steve

Fatboy Dave

posted on 29/7/02 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Chris,

if you rebuilt it yourself, have you had the main bearing caps off? It's possible you could have got the thrust washers in incorrectly (seized a pinto once doing this. Fortunately, the engine was still on the stand at the time).

Whatever you do, don't just rev the nutsack off it if it does start, you'll just throw a rod that way......

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

chrisg

posted on 29/7/02 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah the engines been down to the last nut and bolt, so i'm going to drop the sump and check out the bearings.

i've already tried the two batteries!!

Actually I don't know about throwing a rod, i could throw the whole car!!!!!!

Cheers

Chris

paulf

posted on 31/7/02 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Also make sure the bearing caps are not mixed up and the right way around.When i worked in the motor trade for a machine shop it was supprising how many people just threw the bottom end together and then complained that we had not ground the crank correctly because it would not turn.
Paul
quote:
Chris,

if you rebuilt it yourself, have you had the main bearing caps off? It's possible you could have got the thrust washers in incorrectly (seized a pinto once doing this. Fortunately, the engine was still on the stand at the time).

Whatever you do, don't just rev the nutsack off it if it does start, you'll just throw a rod that way......

chrisg

posted on 31/7/02 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks to all for your input,

I'm going to replace the block

Bet the B*st*rd still won't start!!!!

Cheers

Chris

James

posted on 1/8/02 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Johnston wrote:
quote:

Just out of interest- about how much does this cost?

A littel O/T I know- sorry.

Cheers,

James

paulf

posted on 1/8/02 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
If it was actually bored to tight it would only be by a thou or two,and the only way would be to hone the extra metal out. The problem is it takes ages to hone out a thou as the hone only really removes the machining marks or high spots. Once the bore is a smooth honed finish it is difficult to enlarge it much further.
The best idea would be to undo the conrods and check the fit of the crank and pistons.
Was the block bored to suit the pistons or just to a nominal oversize? we used to insist on having the pistons to measure before we would bore a block as they do vary sometines from the nominal size.

Paul.
quote:
Johnston wrote:
quote:

Just out of interest- about how much does this cost?

A littel O/T I know- sorry.

Cheers,

James

locodude

posted on 1/8/02 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All
When I had my 1600 XF enlarged to 1700 it was £10 per pot + vat. I took him the pistons though to make sure of the sizes.
Chris PTM

chrisg

posted on 2/8/02 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Well Chaps,

That's it!!!!

It ran for 30 seconds then seized solid.

It's well and truly f'd

never mind, new block coming, thanks for all you help,

Cheers

Chris

stephen_gusterson

posted on 2/8/02 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thatlll teach you for listening to all the crap advice on here!

Genuine comisserations BTW.

I rebuilt a metro turbo engine once, over many weekends at my then workplace. Spent 500 quid just on parts and machining. When putting it back together, one of the valves dropped on the floor about 3 feet. Slid nicely in the guides, so no harm done.

Took the completed car down the road for a drive. After 2 miles, loss of power and big missfire. One cyl not working.

Limp back, let it cool down, all is well for another 2 miles.

Friggin valve was a tad bent, just enought to grip when hot. Luckily, people that did the engine work thought they hadnt fitted the guides right as there was an impossibly tight tolerance on the guides. But at the time it felt like the end of the world.

You will get through it. There is light at the end of the tunnel. There will be blubirds over the white cliffs of dover.

and bits of shattered engine all over your garage.

now, feel better

atb

steve

chrisg

posted on 3/8/02 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that Steve,

I've already stripped the ancillaries off the engine and the blocks coming out as soon as I can borrow a crane, I'm going to take it apart - I need to know what went wrong.

Cheers

Chris

Fatboy Dave

posted on 10/8/02 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Excuse me?!

quote:

That seemed like pretty good advice to me!

Hope you get things sorted soon Chris (and you don't do anthing as damn fool again, as Mr. T would say )

Seriously, don't get uptight about it. We've all done stupid things in the past (even me. Yep. I did something so incredibly stupid once, I've never lived it down yet).

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

chrisg

posted on 11/8/02 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Dave!

It's good that you didn't say "I told you so" - oh wait you did!!!

Turns out that the oil pump drive shaft had sheared.

No oil = broken engine

Didn't throw a rod tho!!

Cheers

Chris

interestedparty

posted on 11/8/02 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

We've all done stupid things in the past (even me. Yep. I did something so incredibly stupid once, I've never lived it down yet).

Go on then, Fatboy Dave, I'll have a nibble on that one even if nobody else will

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

Paul Leggott

posted on 11/8/02 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
I've had similar problems in the past. I would suggest try the following order;
1. take the fuel line off the carb and put into a jar switch the ignition on , then you can eliminate fuel pipes ,pump, pickup etc. Air leaks cheak all joints especially the inlet manufold, with thin rubber gloves run your hand round the maifold any leak will suck the rubber in. You have checked out the ignition, so the other thing is timming - sounds daft but I once new of a cam shaft fitted 180 degrees out engin ran 10 15 seconds then died but with no damage. Have you checked that the valves arn't stuck open or burnt out and the last thing I can think of have you got compression.

Paul

stephen_gusterson

posted on 11/8/02 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Actually i was kinda referring to the several posts that I put in to help.

atb

steve

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.