Board logo

Detachable steering wheel?
chrisg - 25/10/07 at 11:57 AM

Just a quick one, is there anything in the SVA regulations that prohibits a removeable steering wheel?

Cheers

Chris

JohnN - 25/10/07 at 12:04 PM

Not explicitly. In my case the tester was concerned that the wheel could be removed when the engine was running. I had to permanantly link the ignition key to the removable wheel key so that when the wheel was on it was locked on and if the key was in the ignition, it couldn't be used to unlock the removable wheel.

He did tell me that in his view, in future, he wouldn't pass a car with a removable wheel

See this thread

The testing station was Shrewsbury

[Edited on 25/10/07 by JohnN]

BenB - 25/10/07 at 12:21 PM

I passed fine with a detachable wheel... No comment about it from Mr SVA....

[Edited on 25/10/07 by BenB]

COREdevelopments - 25/10/07 at 12:26 PM

im in the same boat, i need a qr hub. think may leave the original sierra wheel on. but that is huge and i struggle to get in the car whith it on!!
is a 250 d shaped steering wheel too small? was thinking about gettin one.

rob

chrisg - 25/10/07 at 12:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JohnN
Not explicitly. In my case the tester was concerned that the wheel could be removed when the engine was running. I had to permanantly link the ignition key to the removable wheel key so that when the wheel was on it was locked on and if the key was in the ignition, it couldn't be used to unlock the removable wheel.

He did tell me that in his view, in future, he wouldn't pass a car with a removable wheel

See this thread

[Edited on 25/10/07 by JohnN]

Which test station John?

ash_hammond - 25/10/07 at 01:15 PM

Chrisg.....

DarrenW - 25/10/07 at 01:57 PM

I know the snap off hub has a key lock. Might be worth checking the sales blurb to see if these are approved for road cars or not. If they state they arent then there may be a regulation that the SVA doesnt refer to the excludes them. I dont recall seeing a specific exclusion in the manual, but at my first SVA i had a height issue with std wheel, asked tester if i could use the aftermarket with removeable boss. His advise was the wheel was OK but he would not pass the removeable boss. It would seem this is down to interpretation.

richijenkin - 25/10/07 at 02:23 PM

Passed mine with a normal sierra wheel, then fitted the quick-release one.

Peteff - 25/10/07 at 02:28 PM

It would only have to be linked to the ignition and stop the engine when removed if it was being claimed as one of your anti theft devices wouldn't it?

iank - 25/10/07 at 03:03 PM

I suspect they really don't like the idea that it's possible to remove it while moving. Though what driver in their right mind would try that I don't know.