Board logo

1800 Zetec std injection to carbs or t/b's?
Charlie_Zetec - 25/3/09 at 12:26 PM

Well, recent purchase of GTS W7DE with an 1800 Zetec block installed (no loom), I've read up that it's a nightmare to use std injection system. As a result, I've been looking at carbs and throttle bodies.

I had a set of Webbers on my mk2 Astra 1600, but that was a lot simpler to do. Still, it's an option. But i cam e across this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260381828086

With changing the inlet manifold and appropriate leads/sensors allow me to use them, does anyone know? Budget's a bit tight at the moment, just want to get the car on the road, IVA'd as quickly and efficienly (not necessarily cheaply - I'm not a tightwad!) as possible.

Cheers for any help!

DarrenW - 25/3/09 at 12:29 PM

Coozer could be your man. Did the same mod to bike carbs.

Might as well go straight in for throttle bodies if you can afford the little extra luxury.

cd.thomson - 25/3/09 at 12:30 PM

for speed I'd recommend bike carbs/webers and megasquirt for the ECU. I would suggest megasquirt over megajolt as this will allow you to upgrade to injection at a later date.

If speed was less of an issue I would definitely go for TBs with megasquirt (thats what I'm doing!) because then youve got a completely computer tunable system with none of the comprises you get with carbs. Carbs feels like a bit of a step into the ol' days for me.

will121 - 25/3/09 at 12:44 PM

to get over the clearance problem with the orignal ford inlet manifold ive fitted individual throttle bodies, a plenum, Mass air flow sensor all running on the standard ford ECU, which should cope with SVA emissions, its on a tin top fiesta but should be possible under a 7 bonnet with a short manifold,

Charlie_Zetec - 25/3/09 at 01:48 PM

Sorry Will, no pictures showing. Any chance you could e-mail them and "idiots how-to" guide as to how you did yours?

Would be great if i could get it to work without having to spend a small fortune!

will121 - 25/3/09 at 03:25 PM

there is some info on page two of the web site below, to reduce clearance problems even further ive a set of single butterfly throttle bodies which are about 75mm long and think 36mm diameter,

fiesta Si throttle body info

tim windmill - 25/3/09 at 03:33 PM

I have a steel inlet manifold that i used r6 re spaced throttle bodies on my zetec would be ok for carbs as well £25 posted if your interested pictures in photo archive.
selling due to going for a ST manifold so that i could run staged injection

coozer - 25/3/09 at 03:40 PM

Depends what year the engine is. If its pre Aug 95 bike carbs are the simplest/cheapest but if after that injection and a cat is the only way to get the require emissions sadly.

THIS thread shows what you need and how much it'll cost roughly.