Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steve Irwin. Sad news.
coozer

posted on 4/9/06 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Steve was a legend that many environmental projects will miss.

He had a rather reckless approach to dangerous animals but that is why we all know him so much.

Its unlikely we will see again anyone so dedicated to the animals he brought into our front rooms. Anyone so dedicated, enthusiastic and professional to his job.

If you saw Ozzy Prime Minister John Howard on TV tonight that just shows how legendery the man is to become...

A state funeral is proposed and I'm all for it as he did more for Australia than Maggie ever did for us.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

joneh

posted on 4/9/06 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't call him an idiot but taking your child within 3 ft of dangerous reptile in my opinion is stupid, even if you do know what you're doing. I can see how a lot of people will think his death "was bound to happen".

Either way, he was a top bloke with a great passion for wildlife and will be missed a great deal.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 21/9/06 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
Missed this post as i was in the USA when it happend on my hols. This was HUGE news out there, getting major coverage on CNN and general channels.

10 days later I went to a place called discovery cove in orlando. its a 'swim with dolphins' place - but you also get to swim as much as you like with large (debarbed) rays and with smaller ones in a knee deep pool. these are amazingly graceful creatures that have almost got personalities and i liked them more than the dolphins. gentle - they will take food from your hand.

however, when you go into the sea off florida, you are told to wear covering on your feet, and to slide them across the bottom. if you step on a stingray, it will whack you without a thought.

i thought steve irwin was a bit of a plonker, but after seeing much of him in the aftermath on usa tv i see his over the top style as part of his poularist approach and i too wish he was still around doing it. i now appreciate him much better

i was amazed how well his little girl spoke at his remeberance service today - shes a star in the making

atb steve

[Edited on 21/9/06 by stephen_gusterson]

scotty g

posted on 21/9/06 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Ageed, Bindy will go on to be a big hit, Steve was filming for her own show when he got killed.
She came across as a very brave girl who loved her dad immencely.
Its a shame so many idiots are now going on a stingray hunting spree, as you say these are actually very friendly creatures and simply missunderstood, like so many of the animals Steve taught a whole generation about.

Alan B

posted on 21/9/06 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
.....10 days later I went to a place called discovery cove in orlando.........

And you didn't call round to meet me for a beer...

Agree about Steve Irwin...top guy..very sad...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.