Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PayPal vent, part 1005
RK

posted on 25/12/08 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
PayPal vent, part 1005

How is giving those idiots my bank information protecting me?

This is what they want, as my spending limit has been reached. My card is good, and my standing with my bank is unquestioned. So no more EBay or PayPal purchases from me. Good thing I have most of my parts!

OT: It's a bit like the credit situation. How has being a good saver benefited me? It hasn't. Better to borrow and then have the government come to my rescue.

clairetoo

posted on 25/12/08 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure its not a phishing/spoof email ? Ebay will never ask you for your details in an email .

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

RK

posted on 25/12/08 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
No it was when I was logged in to PayPal (not just EBay), tried to send money, and it was refused. They sent me an email following a complaint to them. It has to do with becoming "verified". All crap if you ask me. They can get stuffed.

My account with them is linked to a card, not a bank directly.

[Edited on 25/12/08 by RK]

blakep82

posted on 25/12/08 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
hmm, apparent;y i owe ebay fees. i don't know why, since i haven't sold anything on there. i won't be giving my bank details either. they can go swivel

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

prawnabie

posted on 25/12/08 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
I had this, you can only send so much much until you verify your bank account.

Its a right PITA as they make a deposit into you bank, and you have to give them the 4 digit code that is on your statement next to the transaction.

I kicked off and they said they had to do it to comply with anti-laundering rules or somet.

HTH
Shaun

mr_pr

posted on 25/12/08 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
TBH I just got my account verified. They placed a small deposit (90p-ish) into my account. I then told them the amount deposited and the number of the transaction.

It was easy and didn't cost me anything. What is the problem?

My Build Progress

prawnabie

posted on 25/12/08 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Its a different process when you hit your limit - you have to give them a code off the transaction on your statement.
RK

posted on 25/12/08 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
The problem is that your bank info is on the net for any swine to get access to anytime they decide to. Bad enough giving the bu****rs my card. I value my identity and more importantly, I value my money.
mr_pr

posted on 25/12/08 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
The bank info that is on my paypal account is not enough to get money from my account anymore than simple identity fraud and going into my local bank could (My home address). It has been proved time and time again that a good fraudster could get these details from most peoples bins.

I find just be more careful with how you go about the net and you can usually keep safe.

[I am now standing by for a massive case of ID fraud against me which will leave me penniless and eating my words!]

quote:

Its a different process when you hit your limit - you have to give them a code off the transaction on your statement.

I assume this isn't directed at me because that was part of my verification (having my limit removed and the pin code thing)

My Build Progress

RK

posted on 25/12/08 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Part of being careful is not giving bank info over the net to "people" who don't even respond to you with the same person twice. That is suspicious in and of itself. Why should I trust them?

Yes a rifle through the garbage is going to turn up a lot of things, but won't be much from my house or business.

mr_pr

posted on 25/12/08 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
But paypal will be subject to very strict controls by the FSA? Are you suggesting fraud from within.

In your local bank you work with different people every single time you go in, and they really do have access to the lot including all linked accounts and a huge amount of your personal info?

[Edited on 25/12/08 by mr_pr]

My Build Progress

RK

posted on 25/12/08 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
It's a question of risks. If there is an unneeded risk, why take it? The pitfalls exceed the benefits, since I have most of my parts already. They simply do not need that information. My credit card is good as is.
wrigglypig

posted on 25/12/08 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
paypal

I hate and despise them for filing chargebacks against me for stuffthat the buyer states was bought fraudulently using his card. they state I have to have the posting reciept which I no longer have as its 4 months ago. Why they need the proof of postage I dont know, anyway they say that If I have not got it they will honour the chargback against me plus £7 fee for investigating it the BAS%£$s ( they have now done this) Why they need proof of postage is beyond me as the claim is that the card was used fraudulently , not that it never arrived ( idiots) I have been a Police Officer for over 20 years and dealt with loads of frauds and deceptions, thefts etc God only knows who they have doing the investigating some Village Idiot somewhere.
I am now £99 in the red with them and cant use paypal till I have paid it!!!!!!!!!! They can get stuffed. but how do I buy stuff from abroad now any ideas??HELP

RK

posted on 25/12/08 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
My question exactly. I suppose the old postal or bank guaranteed money order. Either that or secure site. It does make things difficult. They didn't mind taking my money over the past couple of years, and now they are being just ridiculous. The limit may be useful for a single large purchase, but this is over a couple of years, and two cards!

Good luck with yours. I would pay it and be done with them. What is particularly irritating is that this is only putting the honest people off.

johnston

posted on 25/12/08 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wrigglypig
I hate and despise them for filing chargebacks against me for stuffthat the buyer states was bought fraudulently using his card. they state I have to have the posting reciept which I no longer have as its 4 months ago. Why they need the proof of postage I dont know, anyway they say that If I have not got it they will honour the chargback against me plus £7 fee for investigating it the BAS%£$s ( they have now done this) Why they need proof of postage is beyond me as the claim is that the card was used fraudulently , not that it never arrived ( idiots) I have been a Police Officer for over 20 years and dealt with loads of frauds and deceptions, thefts etc God only knows who they have doing the investigating some Village Idiot somewhere.
I am now £99 in the red with them and cant use paypal till I have paid it!!!!!!!!!! They can get stuffed. but how do I buy stuff from abroad now any ideas??HELP

simple open another paypal account on a different e-mail address you can use same cards back accounts..

atleast thats what I done when someone decided their parts hadnt turned up..

Pay pal still chasin after £40 will cost them alot more by time I pay it

wrigglypig

posted on 25/12/08 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Aha diddnt think you could do that I tried opening one for my daughter and they would nt let me have another at the same address. But that was ages ago if I can I will shame to loose my feedback but there you are

RK

posted on 27/12/08 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Update:

My bank figures it is a phishing scam. But my question remains: why when I logged into what I thought was a genuine PayPal site, would they impose this "limit"? I have logged in before, and my suppliers have been paid. So what are the possibilities?

britishtrident

posted on 27/12/08 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
It is the way PayPal operate --- to be sure Log into your Paypal account by typing in the paypal home address and signing in.

The reason they give for requiring verification it is money laundering regulations --- this may well be true as the requirements for Banks and other Financial institutions to check your idenity are now very tight.

However the real thing that will put your back up is after you go through the PayPal hoops and verify the account the default method of payment automatically becomes taking funds directly from your bank account. So unless you want this with subsequent transactions you will have to take great care that funds are taken to pay from th credit card acccount not the bank account --- grrr !!!!!!! Which is all about Ebay/PayPal making more money out the transaction.

The advantage of paying via credit card is you have more power if things go wrong.

My opinion of Ebay and PayPal is low and it slowly falls with every new transaction.

[Edited on 27/12/08 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.