Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: front lsd
JoelP

posted on 4/1/09 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
front lsd

can anyone think of a 4x4 vehicle with an LSD front diff? Really scratching my head!

Cheers!

ps, ideally just an IFS diff, not an axle!

[Edited on 4/1/09 by JoelP]

mark chandler

posted on 4/1/09 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
You would have to go old, the nearest thing I can think of is a mercedes G-wagen but I believe this is a lockable diff.

Maybe some older audi coupe's ??? of course an rs200 had three viscous diffs but not many of them around.

Everthing made now is traction control based as its cheap !

Volvorsport

posted on 4/1/09 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
jeep

cherokee and wrangler .

depending on type may have dana 30 (volvo diffs) or have 8.8 ford or dana 35 - for which in the good ole USA lots of lsds available , but not as cheap as last year .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

ashg

posted on 4/1/09 at 01:07 AM Reply With Quote
lancia delta evo

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

A1

posted on 4/1/09 at 01:47 AM Reply With Quote
i may be wrong, but i believe a landrover defender could do...
thats what ive been told anyhow...

madteg

posted on 4/1/09 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Nissan pulsar GTIR, Toyota GT4
mr_pr

posted on 4/1/09 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
I am almost positive there are no Land Rover Defenders with LSD front (or rear) diffs as standard.

My Build Progress

minitici

posted on 4/1/09 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Quaife make an lsd front diff for a Sierra I think
tomgregory2000

posted on 4/1/09 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
didnt the sierra XR4X4 have an lsd in the front?
MikeR

posted on 4/1/09 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
i was just thinking that, then i thought no. I've got a memory that its 60 / 40 split middle diff, LSD rear and open front.
JoelP

posted on 4/1/09 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
cheers peeps, some good suggestions there. Im just messing about designing an offroader, ideally as cheap as possible on parts! I suspect a sierra rear diff upside down at the front would be the cheapest way, though it wont be happy! Probably a suzuki transfer box in the middle.
zilspeed

posted on 4/1/09 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
cheers peeps, some good suggestions there. Im just messing about designing an offroader, ideally as cheap as possible on parts! I suspect a sierra rear diff upside down at the front would be the cheapest way, though it wont be happy! Probably a suzuki transfer box in the middle.

Joel

Bear in mind that a Suzki transfer box does nothing more than connect / disconnect the front drive.
It is not a differential box in any way, shape or form.

MikeRJ

posted on 4/1/09 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed

Bear in mind that a Suzki transfer box does nothing more than connect / disconnect the front drive.

Don't they have a bit of a reputation for breaking as well?

Liam

posted on 4/1/09 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Forget the Lancia, Toyota and Nissan. Anything of that ilk has the front diff integrated into the gearbox like a normal FWD. I'm pretty sure they're not LSDs either (except for the Nismo pulsar).

Options for an independant (i.e. not live axle) front LSD that I know of are really limited. Probably only an aftermarket kit for the Sierra diff.

Otherwise you're looking at shoving a rear diff in the front. It will be running backwards - not up-side-down, so may not enjoy its life, but what the hell!

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 4/1/09 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

Joel

Reason i thought zook is that it seems to be fed from a short prop, rather than bolted straight to a gearbox. Guess the lack of a diff makes it a part time 4x4 box, which isnt so bad, because if you need 4wd, you may as well have it locked!

Dont know why i dont want an LR engine and box, maybe its the price. With the suzuki tbox i can use any RWD engine and box.

Liam, good point about it not being upside down, guess i lost track of revolutions as i turned it in my head!

johnston

posted on 4/1/09 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Get your sell onto difflock
for off roading they will know your answers!!!

although it is a mad house

JoelP

posted on 4/1/09 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnston
Get your sell onto difflock
for off roading they will know your answers!!!

although it is a mad house

been on there recently! Its a great site, nice and busy. I just feel that on a dedicated 4x4 forum they will be more stuck in their ways WRT odd ideas, they would undoubtedly suggest using a variety of live axles, which i dont fancy really.

Seen a few familiar LCB names over there!

Liam

posted on 4/1/09 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Oh - forgot one option for a standard front LSD... Nissan Skyline GTR. Probably a few in the scrappies.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 4/1/09 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
skyline front diff seems to be embedded in the sump, and a bit expensive too. Cheers though! Quaife sierra front lsd is £775
02GF74

posted on 6/1/09 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr_pr
I am almost positive there are no Land Rover Defenders with LSD front (or rear) diffs as standard.

Pretty sure that is correct. None that I am aware of.

You can ofcourse by aftermarket diffs, both LSD type e.g. Trutrac and locking, e.g. ARB. Neither is cheap.

DarrenW

posted on 7/1/09 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
If you are fancying building an off roader but cant find a lsd front diff, then maybe of roaders dont need them. Might be worth researching the type of vehicle you want to build a bit more and see what others do to overcome this challenge. There may be a reason why front lsd is not that common. Most people i know have diff lockers and winches to get them out of trouble, then fancy tyres etc. They tend to do the low speed trials. For faster of roaders could be worth looking at the Tomcat etc.

JoelP

posted on 8/1/09 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
im sure it would work fine with an open diff in the front, but an lsd would be nice, and its a touch cheaper than a locker and more civilised than a welded diff!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.