Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Mondeo - verdict?
Slater

posted on 20/2/09 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
New Mondeo - verdict?

I am thinking about trading in my 10 year old Passat for a new shape Mondeo, approx 1 year old, 10-20,000 miles, 1.8 diesel, hatchback, edge or zetec model. Nothing hi-spec, just a reliable family car.
I tend to keep cars for 10+ years till I run them into the ground.

Does anyone have any experience/comments on the new shape Mondeo.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/2/09 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
I only buy jap due to them working/lasting better

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paul the 6th

posted on 20/2/09 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
no experience with the new ones but they look smart as hell and I'll be having one when my 55 plate mondeo dies... had my mondeo 2.0 tdci since 2006 and have done 50,000 trouble free miles with only the aircon needing re-gassing.

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
grazzledazzle

posted on 20/2/09 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Yep. Cracking car for the money. Pay 10k more and they will stick a jaguar badge on it for you. Madness.

Ford dealers on the other hand....

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/2/09 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by grazzledazzle
Yep. Cracking car for the money. Pay 10k more and they will stick a jaguar badge on it for you. Madness.

Ford dealers on the other hand....

my neighbor next door has a mondao based jag x-type. I looked over in and couldn't believe the poor finish under the panels. Seemed the thinnest matt paint (outside is met silver) in the engine bay and boot which was already starting to rust around the seams! Very poor quality for the money, even my bluebird is painted as well in the engine bay as the outside, that on a basic standard saloon.

Then again their paintwork defect warranty only lasts 3 years then its a 6 year perforation warranty. So by the time its going for its first MOT it could be covered in rust and you get nothing

[Edited on 20/2/09 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thunderace

posted on 20/2/09 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
local taxi drivers hate them there crap on fuel unlike the vectra 150 that gives around 45-48mpg true figure not 60mpg like vauxhall claim .
your lucky to get 40mpg from the mondeo 2.0 tdci my mate gets around 32mpg from his.

John.Taylor

posted on 20/2/09 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'm getting 55mpg in a 05-reg 140bhp Passat diesel and was getting a bit less in my 02-reg 130bhp A4 diesel. The honda 2,2ctdi must be good as I got 45mpg in my previous 07-reg CRV which is the same as my dad manages in his 55-reg 2.2dci Primera.

Personally, I think the VAG diesels are the best around.

nick205

posted on 20/2/09 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John.Taylor
I'm getting 55mpg in a 05-reg 140bhp Passat diesel and was getting a bit less in my 02-reg 130bhp A4 diesel. The honda 2,2ctdi must be good as I got 45mpg in my previous 07-reg CRV which is the same as my dad manages in his 55-reg 2.2dci Primera.

Personally, I think the VAG diesels are the best around.

I'd tend to agree on the VAG diesel thing.

On the Mundano Q - a colleague has a 07 Titanium Estate 2.0 TDCI. Nice looking car and drives very well too. The interrior IMHO however is still not up to par and looks tacky (IMHO).

Maradona

posted on 20/2/09 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
I live in argentina, one friend buy one the last year, the car is very very nice, i like too much the design. The windshield have a ultraviolet protection, and if you want to stick your GPS, these never run, because the ulravaiolet protection block the gps signal. Apart of these problem the car is nice.

Diego,
The locost builder from Argentina

stevebubs

posted on 20/2/09 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
I have one. Mine was delivered in November.

2.0 Flexifuel Titanium Estate. Originally ordered a diesel but change my mind when 5 months later they still couldn't give me a build date.

Nice enough. Not going to set the world alight. Feel better built than Vectras I've used in the past but doesn't feel as nice as my 8 year old Omega.

Would avoid the Edge if you can and go for Zetec/Titanium/Ghia model

Titanium X has nicer seats but don't know what premium that would command over the Titanium.

As I understand it from the forums, the 1.8 iron diesel is far more efficient than the 2.0 alloy one.

Not often I'll say this, but I would recommend parking sensors if you're in any doubt as to whether the car will fit in a space - it's a pretty large vehicle compared with most urban parking spaces.

Would agree the Passat etc is probably a nicer, more upmarket car but have to question VW's reliability record in recent years (plus their dealership labour prices around here are absolutely extortionate).

All in all, my car is a daily driver. Not as exciting as the 530 v8 I had a few years ago, perhaps less exciting than my Omega (the mondeo's 2.0 petrol engine is almost painful - you really have to rev it to make any progress).

Would I recommend one? Yes. Sort of.

stevebubs

posted on 20/2/09 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maradona
I live in argentina, one friend buy one the last year, the car is very very nice, i like too much the design. The windshield have a ultraviolet protection, and if you want to stick your GPS, these never run, because the ulravaiolet protection block the gps signal. Apart of these problem the car is nice.

TH UV shield is an option on every model except (I believe) the Titanium X over here.

My GPS works quite happily in the windscreen.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 20/2/09 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 06 ghia x lovely car. 2.2 TDCI 155bhp. Electric everything, voice control etc etc.
The only thing with the newer ones is they look smaller in the back. especially the estates. mines an estate and is miles bigger in the boot. cruised down to south france at 48mpg

[Edited on 20/2/09 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

James

posted on 20/2/09 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slater
10 year old Passat

<snip?

That would seem a contradiction...

10 year Passat... Run into ground??? More like barely run in!!!

Maybe my definition of run into the ground is different from yours.... I have a 1991 1.8lt petrol Golf that's done 246,000!!!

And I still can't let it go!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/2/09 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
quote:
Originally posted by Maradona

TH UV shield is an option on every model except (I believe) the Titanium X over here.

My GPS works quite happily in the windscreen.

is it worth it though? use to I sit 8 hours a day 5 days a week in a huge windscreen bus during the summer and got not a hint of a tan

quote:

Ordinary car window glass filters out about 97% of the UV-B radiation and about 37% of UV-A radiation. It is approximately equivalent to a good sunscreen, which means that if you’re sitting in the sun during a long trip you could still get burnt from the amount of radiation coming through the glass. Laminated windscreens block all of the UV-B radiation and about 80% of the UV-A radiation.

[Edited on 20/2/09 by Mr Whippy]

nick205

posted on 23/2/09 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by Slater
10 year old Passat

<snip?

That would seem a contradiction...

10 year Passat... Run into ground??? More like barely run in!!!

Maybe my definition of run into the ground is different from yours.... I have a 1991 1.8lt petrol Golf that's done 246,000!!!

And I still can't let it go!

Cheers,
James

Should be loosened up nicely then

Or is it like Trigger's faithfull old broom - 9th head and 5th handle

stevebubs

posted on 23/2/09 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
I've got a 06 ghia x lovely car. 2.2 TDCI 155bhp. Electric everything, voice control etc etc.
The only thing with the newer ones is they look smaller in the back. especially the estates. mines an estate and is miles bigger in the boot. cruised down to south france at 48mpg

[Edited on 20/2/09 by Ben_Copeland]

I've got to say I was suprised how small the actual boot on my estate is.

The fact that the seats slope one way, and the back window the other means that although the front-back measurement at the base is 1.3m I can only fit a 90x60cmx66cm (l-w-h) crate in sideways.

[Edited on 23/2/09 by stevebubs]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.