Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: @!$%ing windows ! (mini Rant)
mcerd1

posted on 25/2/09 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
@!$%ing windows ! (mini Rant)

I hate windows

XP on my main PC this time - its been acting up at startup and telling me it can't find a file but then you try again and it works ?

but the other night it finaly died and refused to start

I'm guessing it was a coroupted file / bad sector on the disk or something, but even when it was working I couldn't find any problems

anyway I booted up on an old disk, copied most stuff (hope I got it all ) then wiped it and started again

I guess the only good thing is it should be a little quicker..... but its all just reminded me why I hate windows !

donut

posted on 25/2/09 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote

Nuff said!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 25/2/09 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
its not come to that yet - I like right click !

actually I just wish that they would update win2K
but I guess the best I can hope for is that win7 will be better

[Edited on 25/2/09 by mcerd1]

johnston

posted on 25/2/09 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
My windows was playin up and it wouldnt do a restore so done a duel instal with unbuntu to see what it was like.

Well the mrs even wants me to get rid of windows completely and she was against me putting ubuntu on in the 1st place.

omega0684

posted on 25/2/09 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
upgrade to vista and have rants everyday

[Edited on 25/2/09 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr_pr

posted on 25/2/09 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
its not come to that yet - I like right click !

actually I just wish that they would update win2K
but I guess the best I can hope for is that win7 will be better

Mac's have right click......

My Build Progress

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 25/2/09 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut

Nuff said!

better still mint flavor

[Edited on 25-2-09 by mangogrooveworkshop]

livelee

posted on 25/2/09 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Your hard drive is failing. Backup your data and buy a new drive. Last time I checked osx and linux used hard drives so that's not the answer.
donut

posted on 25/2/09 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
I do have Linux Mint on my other low spec Dell! And it's a crackingbit of kit!

Go linux!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

donut

posted on 25/2/09 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by livelee
Your hard drive is failing. Backup your data and buy a new drive. Last time I checked osx and linux used hard drives so that's not the answer.

Andy

flak monkey

posted on 25/2/09 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
I use macs a reasonable amount and havent found them any less prone to crashing, being slow or any more reliable than a properly maintained windows machine. Plus I find several things about them annoying - like lack of right click without pressing a keyboard button too and the lack of a few nice to have windows features! I have also found them to be less than brilliant at reliability, plus when (not if) they go wrong they cost a fortune to fix as nothing in them is a standard computer part!

There is a lot of windows bashing mostly because its the norm and boring.

Vista is great if you have a high spec machine to run it on and turn some of the extraneous stuff off. XP Pro was always a good system too.

David

PS show me a decent mac capable of running decent games too...

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

David Jenkins

posted on 25/2/09 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
upgrade to vista and have rants everyday

Oooh, tell me about it!

I have a laptop at home, from work, which has Vista on it. Every time I try to do something sensible it fights me - you have to do stuff its way, or not at all. The trouble is, it's way is to bring everything down to the lowest denominator, which just drives me nuts.

I have a couple of PCs that have Windows 2000 on them - there is no way that I'm going to 'upgrade'.

...and my main computer has Ubuntu linux on it (but some of my stuff just has to have Windoze to work, e.g. the Megajolt console).

Davey D

posted on 25/2/09 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
got to agree that ubuntu is a very nice os to use. when i had 2 computers ( a desktop, and a laptop) i had ubuntu on the laptop, and it was really nice to use.. never had any problems with it. i had windows on my desktop computer for gaming.

Now ive sold the desktop, and old laptop, and bought a high spec laptop. If i didnt do any gaming on it i would kick windows to one side, and stick with ubuntu all day long.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 25/2/09 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by livelee

You can run UBANTU on a cd drive

livelee

posted on 25/2/09 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Good.
mcerd1

posted on 25/2/09 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
If i didnt do any gaming on it i would kick windows to one side.....

its games and CAD for me - so I'm stuck with it.....

I think my disks are ok - I've got a raid array (stripped) so its always a bit more risky - but its fast
just needs a good graphics card (got my eye on a GTX285) and some faster memory and it'll do for another year or two

its a bit like my old cars, when they are working I love them, when the brake I swear at them allot
(Mango - you should have heard the abuse I shouted at the 106 when its ignition amp died)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.