Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crazy enough to work?!?!
sickbag

posted on 21/4/09 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Crazy enough to work?!?!

While sat in the mind-numbing traffic entering Leeds this morning I realised I needed something to think about before my brain shut down.

I started to think about how rare low-ratio Sierra diffs are getting, and what alternatives there are for those that want a BEC over a CEC.

Then I had a thought about using an overdrive unit attached between the gearbox and the diff. stick with me here. . .

I know that these haven't really been used on production cars for a number of years now, but there seems to be quite a lot of stock at re-manufacturers, etc.

You could buy a relatively cheap high-ratio diff (maybe with LSD), get one of these overdrive units, modify it to work in this arrangement (depends on version) and instantly have lots of gears to play with.

One option would be to have it switched off in the lower gears for great acceleration, then switch it to 'on' while in 6th for a better top speed. Maybe mount the switch on the steering wheel for better control.

The one I looked at offered a ration of 0.75 to 1, so an increase of 25%.

Is this a crazy idea that just wouldn't work, or am I on to something here? Or has someone already tried it and published their results.

Finally back on the job!

sickbag

posted on 21/4/09 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
17 views in less than 3 minutes, who's meant to be working then?

Finally back on the job!

antimony

posted on 21/4/09 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
How much would it weigh?
I know you BEC boys are a bit fanatical about shedding grams, so an overdrive weighing more than a packet of crisps may be a non-starter.

02GF74

posted on 21/4/09 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
yes it would work since this isn't anything new but

1. £££?
2. how many kg?
3. is there space to fit it?

and having more gears in the drive trains introduces loss.

I have overdrive in my land rover whcih gives me 4 reverse gears and 16 forward gears, I tell you, it is damn handy!!

Caterham have already invented this, called a 6 speed gearbox.

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/4/09 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

I have overdrive in my land rover whcih gives me 4 reverse gears and 16 forward gears, I tell you, it is damn handy!!

I extended the overdrive lever to match the gear one, sooooo cool in traffic

even survived pulling a loaded car trailer too despite the instructions saying not to use it for towing

as for one on a 7, just fit 17inch wheels

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sickbag

posted on 21/4/09 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
The weight wouldn't be too much of an issue as you would gain acceleration due to the higher ratio diff. A bit more weight over the rear axle might actually benefit traction as well.

I do think this will probably benefit the road going cars more than the track only cars. At least it'll stop the buzzy feeling at motorway speeds.

I might pop back down the breakers this weekend and have a play.

Finally back on the job!

sickbag

posted on 21/4/09 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by antimony
How much would it weigh?
I know you BEC boys are a bit fanatical about shedding grams, so an overdrive weighing more than a packet of crisps may be a non-starter.

I've already lost 6Kgs off my fat ass this past month, so that should make up for it!

Finally back on the job!

Howlor

posted on 21/4/09 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Fit some top fuel drag style tyres that increase in diameter with the centrifugal forces so you get the best of both worlds.

Steve

nick205

posted on 21/4/09 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
I still think there must be other diff options to get a better ratio

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=106852

The Freelander is already used, but BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Honda (HRV), Subaru, Mitsubishi, Mazda etc all make rear wheel or 4 wheel drive cars - there must be a suitable diff amongst them some where. Probably lighter than the Sierra one too.

sickbag

posted on 21/4/09 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I still think there must be other diff options to get a better ratio

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=106852

The Freelander is already used, but BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Honda (HRV), Subaru, Mitsubishi, Mazda etc all make rear wheel or 4 wheel drive cars - there must be a suitable diff amongst them some where. Probably lighter than the Sierra one too.

I think the problem is that most of the modern RWD cars are quite powerful, and so the diffs have to be stronger, therefore heavier, to cope with that power.

The Mazda is a good alternative as they should be more plentiful now, but I don't know what the ratios are. Are they suitable for BEC with smaller rims (ie. 13 or 14 inch)?

Finally back on the job!

smart51

posted on 21/4/09 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
A 0.75 overdrive would give me another 3 forward gears, would increase my top speed by 18 MPH, would reduce my motorway revs from 6800 to 5100, would increase my acceleration above 100 MPH on the track and improve my MPG. Brilliant. I'd have to move my speedo pickup from inside the gearbox to after the overdrive but it would be worth the effort.

Could it be fitted instead of the joint in a two piece prop?

MikeR

posted on 21/4/09 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
why not incorporate it into the reverse box all becs are soon going to have for IVA .....
sickbag

posted on 21/4/09 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
why not incorporate it into the reverse box all becs are soon going to have for IVA .....

I wonder if a trans-axle could be constructed containing all three components - 2-speed epilyptic (spelling)gears, reverse and diif function - taking up a similar width, but longer, than a standard diff.

Or even just the reverse and diff functions.

Finally back on the job!

sickbag

posted on 21/4/09 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
A 0.75 overdrive would give me another 3 forward gears, would increase my top speed by 18 MPH, would reduce my motorway revs from 6800 to 5100, would increase my acceleration above 100 MPH on the track and improve my MPG. Brilliant. I'd have to move my speedo pickup from inside the gearbox to after the overdrive but it would be worth the effort.

The one I was looking at bolted onto the back of the gearbox, with the output shaft directly driving the sun wheel, so . . .

I think you would need to machine the gearbox output shaft to work with your prop, and make up a face plate (with bearing) to enclose the front of the OD.

Lots of work, but do-able.

Finally back on the job!

nick205

posted on 21/4/09 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sickbag
quote:
Originally posted by smart51

The one I was looking at bolted onto the back of the gearbox, with the output shaft directly driving the sun wheel, so . . .

I think you would need to machine the gearbox output shaft to work with your prop, and make up a face plate (with bearing) to enclose the front of the OD.

Lots of work, but do-able.

+ I think you'd need some chasis tunnel mods to accomodate/mount the overdrive unit.

All-in I reckon the cost and complexity would be outweighed by the bolt-on-ability of an albeit expensive low ratio Sierra diff.

Do Quaife not produce a low ratio gear kit to fit inside the Sierra diff casing? probably £££ if they do I guess.

ReMan

posted on 21/4/09 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

That's been my thoughts.
As much as the Quaifes are apparantly an expensive oil thrower, if you could build a 2 speed and reverse like an overdrive so that you can (optionally drop the revs by 20% on the motorway, but keep normal gearing for fun

MikeCapon

posted on 21/4/09 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Here you are it already exists. Warning site is in French!

Whole gizmo weighs 25kg

Linky thingy

ETA Blimey. Just seen the price 5000€

[Edited on 21/4/09 by MikeCapon]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sickbag

posted on 21/4/09 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
Here you are it already exists. Warning site is in French!

Whole gizmo weighs 25kg

Linky thingy

ETA Blimey. Just seen the price 5000€

[Edited on 21/4/09 by MikeCapon]

That site is blocked for me at the moment, pretty much every website is!

Can you post a picture of it? I'd like to compare it to what I had in mind - now I've really thought about it.

Finally back on the job!

aka Keith

posted on 21/4/09 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
I think this is what it looks like, buy my French is non-existant

[Edited on 21/4/09 by aka Keith]

aka Keith

posted on 21/4/09 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
FFS, cannot seem to load pictures, it is in my photo archive under overdrive for BEC
sickbag

posted on 21/4/09 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Keith.

Finally back on the job!

sickbag

posted on 21/4/09 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at theirs you could have it as mid-engined or FWD too. My idea was to keep the arrangement as a front-engined RWD.

Anyone fancy translating my thoughts to actual hardware? With no cost to me?

Finally back on the job!

MikeCapon

posted on 21/4/09 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Here's the piccy.

boite cm
boite cm

sickbag

posted on 21/4/09 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
It looks like they're using a chain drive from the gearbox output shaftl - unless I'm looking at it wrong. Not sure I like that.

Finally back on the job!

MikeCapon

posted on 21/4/09 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, no chain inside. It's gear drive and the diff is an LSD!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.