Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: another project? Cobra??
Slater

posted on 19/5/09 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
another project? Cobra??

I've been thinking about my next project, I quite like the Cobra replicas.

Has anyone on here built one? What is the average build cost for a budget/reasonable spec replica? How does the build differ from a seven?
Any recommended kit companies or ones to avoid? I'd prefer to use a company that has very good customer service (like MAC#1).

What is the standard donor car?

Is there an equivilent cobra replica forum to this one? Although I don't think you could beat this one in terms on knowledge.

This project is a few years off but I am starting to do some research now. I have definatly got the kit car bug!

Keith

[Edited on 19/5/09 by Slater]

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

omega0684

posted on 19/5/09 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
my dad has always wanted a cobra. when i spoke to DAX about it they said that even if you new everyone in the business that you could get really cheap parts from and made all the bits yourself it would still cost you about £30k, i think that the average build is between £30 - £40k
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 19/5/09 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
don't Pilgrim still do the Sumo? That was a nice budget cobra

all depends how silly you are with the engine and how much chrome and fancy wheels you throw at it. You could easily build one for about 10k if you were sensible

[Edited on 19/5/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richardh

posted on 19/5/09 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
the cost is all in the brightwork!

most of it wont pass sva/iva with it on anyway so not really effecting the build cost.

real budget bare bones will be about 15k from when i looked at doing a pilgrim before.

not massively helpful there i found though.

Time for a change!

philw

posted on 19/5/09 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
10k, a decent engine and box will be 2-3k surely, then theres the price of the kit, which is?.

Must try harder

coozer

posted on 19/5/09 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
I'm starting a new project. its a 4x4 Jago. More mechanical than bodywork.

Cobra's look nice but I feel you have to be very good with bodywork. I watched TV's Mark Evans build one and was horrified by him having to remove shutlines with razor blades etc. Put me right off.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

iank

posted on 19/5/09 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardh
the cost is all in the brightwork!

...and the bonkers engines people insist on fitting, also covered in shiny bling.

Years ago there was a very nice (IMO) race style cobra in PPC magazine. Much cheaper if you went down that road, but they still cost a kidney compared with a locost.

If you want a trailer queen with all the chrome, cream leather then brace yourself for a shock.

On the subject of IVA remember you'll need seats with proper headrests, a lot of cobra people were very upset about that one.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

tomprescott

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
One of my mates dads has a cobra, I'm pretty sure its a dax, cost somewhere between 30 and 40k, could probably get one cheaper but spec won't be as good.

His is a 5.7 litre, most of it is jaguar running gear but a lot of the parts are custom. It is an awesome machine, superfast acceleration and the weight of it makes me feel a bit safer than in a seven car.

iank's got a point about the leather interior and chrome bits pushing the price up but thats the whole poiont of the car!

iank

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomprescott
iank's got a point about the leather interior and chrome bits pushing the price up but thats the whole poiont of the car!

Can't say I agree with that, agreed it's what most of the people who buy them these days want, but originally they were a proper racing car for the road.

Building something like this without the bling is a perfectly acceptable thing to do IMO. Only downside is people are more likely to think it's a real one

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Ivan

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Cobra's are expensive to build - however I think lots of people go way over the top with the bling (Which is where most of the money is) - who cares if the motor looks like a rap stars jewelry box as long as it works - just keep the bonnet closed and if someone asks to see it just blip the throttle - that will keep them happy) - they where originally meant to be race cars after all and to my mind that's how they should be presented.

Keep it simple and maybe even a little scruffy.

I think the above applies to Locosts as well.

One thing for sure - they create a sensation on the road whatever they look like - in SA every traffic light has queues of beggars and yet in the Cobra I never get asked for anything, just smiles and thumbs up and asked to nail it when the lights change. I'm always happy to oblige if traffic conditions allow.

So my advice is - if you can afford it go for it - but don't expect it to handle anywhere near as good as a 7.

Slater

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments, keep 'em coming.

I was hoping to maybe build a basic one for £10-12K. Maybe a V6. But without alot of the chrome and interior luxuries.

Pilgrim are still going and look to be the right sort of budget, with their Sumo. The donor is either a Sierra or Mk 3 Granada. Dax are way too expensive.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

MikeRJ

posted on 19/5/09 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
Keep it simple and maybe even a little scruffy.

Yup I agree. Slightly ratty looking one without the dodgy cream leather and 15 acres of chrome is perfect. As long as it has a huge V8 and a reasonable chassis (which some replicas sadly have not) you can hardly go wrong.

Ivan

posted on 19/5/09 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slater
Thanks for the comments, keep 'em coming.

I was hoping to maybe build a basic one for £10-12K. Maybe a V6. But without alot of the chrome and interior luxuries.

I kind of think that building a Cobra (particularly with the 427 body shape) with a V6 is completely missing the point and missing out on 80% of the experience when driving it - rather get an Austin Healy kit or something similar if you don't want to use a V8 - or use a Rover motor.

Marcus

posted on 19/5/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with the above. Cobras should have V8s. I don't think they have to be 427s , but a Lexus 4.0 V8 or BMW unit would fit the bill without being too expensive. I was at a show last year and saw a Cosworth (4 cyl) engined Cobra. Just didn't sound right!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

DarrenW

posted on 19/5/09 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Before opting for the Mac 1 i looked at the Sumo at Newark show, even bought the build manual. Was put off by the idea that a reasonable tidy budget build (in gel coat finish) would be around 18K. Bodywork has never been a strong point for me and i simply didnt have the budget.
If i thought it would cost upwards of 30K id be more tempted by something like a Ultima. TBH though id probs just buy a tintop like a 911 instead.

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 19/5/09 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have just SVA'd mine, a Ram Cobra. Agree with most said before, they are expensive.
The main difficulty is IVA, on things like height of seat belt mounts it cannot be like an original, which would have snapped your collar bone.
I would keep an eye out for a cheap and nasty one and strip and rebuild. That way you only do the work once the way you like it (rather than do it once for IVA then redo everything). I would also not bother with anything other than a V8, especially if you ever want to sell it on. Buying a V6 pilgrim and putting in a V8 is also very difficult.
As a first step I would join the Cobra club, without them I would never have finished mine! They are a wealth of info.
Good luck!

andrew.carwithen

posted on 19/5/09 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
I must admit, I've been thinking along the same lines.
It was watching a Cobra replica rock on its haunches when the big yank V8 under the bonnet was blipped at a show many moons ago, that got me interested in kit cars in the first place.
Have a look at http://www.cobraclub.com for all the info you need on the various kits.
I'd say no matter what kit you build, its go to have a minimum of a Rover V8 under the bonnet and budget permitting, a Chevvy or Ford Yank V8 to capture the 'essence' of what a Cobra is all about.
Pilgrim are at the 'budget' end of the Cobra scene ('though I've seen some stunning examples), using Granada/Sierra Donor parts (though I believe, they do cater for Jag running gear too - the choice of most of the replica kit manufacturers) You'll still be looking at 12 -15k for a reasonable spec Sumo.
After that, mid - stream, you're looking at AK (seem to have a good reputation) Madgwick, maybe a lower spec Dax at all around £25k
Followed by the up-market manufacturers such as Gardner-Douglas, Hawk, Magnum and Crendon at about £35k.
Until recently, it was always my ambition to build a Cobra many years down the line when I finally retire and hopefully funds would permit!
However, I've recently been offered a Part-built (rolling chassis stage) Mk3 Pilgrim Sumo with a recon. Rover V8, plus all the expensive optional goodies (which all need fitting) such as the sidepipes, halibrand wheels, decent clocks, and leather interior etc. - all for £6k!! - which, considering it has cost the builder £12k to get to this stage, seems an absolute bargain! ('though I haven't viewed it yet).
And so to my dilemna :-
I would have to sell my Avon first in order to not only raise the necessary funds, but also to free-up the garage to enable me to build it.
Problem is, I've only had her on the road since March and so am still very much enjoying the initial fruits of the last five years labour spent building her! (though I am beginning to miss the 'build' side of things)
Oh, what to do?!!!...

Marlon

posted on 19/5/09 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Kieth.

I don't know if this is the sort of thing that your after building but this is my father in law's pilgrim sumo.
We built it around four years ago for the tidy sum of around 12k. It is still in it's origional gel coat finish but you can't tell. It has a 3.5 rover v8 with underslung exhausts and as much chrome and leather as you can shake a stick at. I wouldn't have thought that it would cost that much more today to build somthing like it. I think that the hardest part of building it was deffinately the bodywork, was a real pita getting all the shut lines right on the doors and bonnet.

cob
cob

john.

Band Anyone?

Linky to SWMBO 's band
Linky to Brother in laws band
MKoc 1081

robinj66

posted on 19/5/09 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of good advice already.

I managed to build a Sumo with a V6 for £9k inc a paintjob and leather seats. However i have now fitted a V8 and sidepipes and am still making alterations!!

In order to set a realistic budget you need to decide what you want from your car - do you want a show car that is polished to the hilt and only comes out in the dry and every other Bank holiday - or do you want an out & out race car - or something you can use for touring - or every day use.

Like the Sevens, there is an infinite number of variables.

Best advice is to spend some time browsing the Cobra Replica Club forum ; then go to a few local meetings and ask other owners and see the cars in the flesh. Blag as many rides as you can. Get to some shows if you can .

Rod Ends

posted on 19/5/09 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Is it worth building a cheap cobra?

TVR Chimaeras from <£6k

TVR Griffiths from <£10k

chrisg

posted on 19/5/09 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
It's probably just me but I don't really "get" Cobras.

What are they for?

If you want the best driving experience you buy a seven, don't you?

Is it as a replica to fool people into think you have a real one? Because I can guarantee you that people don't ever go "There's a Cobra" they go "There's a Cobra replica" Even if I saw a real one I'd assume it was a copy!

And seeing field upon field of them at Stoneleigh shows you that it's not for the exclusivity.

Still, each to his own, live and let live etc.....

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 19/5/09 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Personally, I remember every single Cobra I have seen (outside of shows) for the last 20 years, and they have always given me a Waynes World meets Alice Cooper moment!
I love em!
And mine has a 6.3 litre chevy V8 with lots of trick bits which makes your ears bleed!
Probably costs around £500 more than a rover!

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 19/5/09 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
And didn't even know that they were a replica of anything!
Just thought it might get me l**d.

andrew.carwithen

posted on 19/5/09 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
It's probably just me but I don't really "get" Cobras.

What are they for?

If you want the best driving experience you buy a seven, don't you?

Is it as a replica to fool people into think you have a real one? Because I can guarantee you that people don't ever go "There's a Cobra" they go "There's a Cobra replica" Even if I saw a real one I'd assume it was a copy!

And seeing field upon field of them at Stoneleigh shows you that it's not for the exclusivity.

Still, each to his own, live and let live etc.....

Cheers

Chris

Hang on a minute, Chris,
don't the majority on this forum build/drive some form of 'seven' lookylikey - yet we don't pretend it to be the 'real McCoy'?
I presume its the same with 'Cobra' owners.
I certainly don't want to own a Cobra replica in the hope of passing it off as the real deal - its simply the only way I would realistically be able to afford owning a car which has the beauty and (hopefully!) the sound of the original.
As regards the driving experience, sure, a lightweight 'seven' will have better handling, but there are other factors to take into considration with regards to driving pleasure. Personally, the sound of a largely unsilenced big V8 makes me go all moist and represents the other end of the scale to my manic BEC with respect to its driving characteristics.
As regards exclusivity, you're not seriously suggesting there are more Cobra replicas on the road than 'seven' type cars? (I could count on one hand the number of 'Cobras' I've seen on my local roads in the last twelve months - I'd need both hands to count the number of 'sevens' )

Slater

posted on 19/5/09 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of good posts there. Many thanks. There aren't many people who don't like cobras.

I saw one drive past my house about 1 year ago, I still remember the sound!

Yes if I built one it would have to be a V8. Cobras seem to be quite rare up here in Aberdeenshire.

I am sure a sumo could be built on a £10-12K budget. I will go and lurk on the cobra club site for the next few weeks, then ask some questions.

Another project I'd like is the MEV Rocket or a even another better spec BEC MAC#1.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.