Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I crashed my car, its a right off...
02GF74

posted on 24/9/09 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
blinkin' flip!!!

oh well, you are uninjured which in the end is what matters.

Johneturbo

posted on 24/9/09 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Strewth

Glad you both walked away. them metal barriers are nasty.

gona make sure my QR is always properly secured now.

StevieB

posted on 24/9/09 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Glad you're OK.

If you really want another but can't get it insured yet, why not get the one you want and use it as a trackday car fir a while then get it insured for road use as/when you can get a decent deal?

MikeRJ

posted on 24/9/09 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Looking at it, I'm not sure that the rollcage played a big part in the action - nothing from the scuttle back is broken or deformed. As stated above, the front absorbed all the force and dissipated it (fortunately).

The cage and side impact bars probably added a fair bit of rigidity to the cockpit. I guess we will never know but it may have distorted considerably without them.

[Edited on 24/9/09 by MikeRJ]

livelee

posted on 24/9/09 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
I can confirm they deform massively without a cage.

[Edited on 24/9/09 by livelee]

chris_smith

posted on 24/9/09 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
never wore a tin top but ill certainley be giving it huge consideration now, and a roll cage might well be fitted over winter too

glad you and your mate are ok

The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

David Jenkins

posted on 24/9/09 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Fair comments about the flying wheel and the added rigidity - whatever it's effect, it's still good that they could get out and walk away.

Scary though...

Simon

posted on 24/9/09 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Fortunately you're ok, what I can't understand is the rest of you with "QR's" (whatever they are), are still using them.

Two of you have had steering come apart, the third might end up not so lucky.

ATB

Simon

A1

posted on 24/9/09 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Ive been thinking of one for the extra security...not sure though
richardR1

posted on 24/9/09 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Bl**dy hell, glad you both came out of it relatively unscathed. I too have a QR wheel on mine but it is the original 'Snap-Off' type like this Snap Off which has a lock and key so is impossible for it to come off accidentally.

MK Owners Club Member 1015

miikae

posted on 24/9/09 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Pleased that you managed to get the insurance sorted in the end and to your satisfaction too.
As for QR wheel boss , i had a wee problem with mine due to me being in a hurry to bring the car into the drive after it had been parked on opossite of the road for a while , went to turn in and on straightening up the wheel just spun but it did not come off , (nearly ran into my house wall) turn it a bit more and it locked fortunatly as a lorry was approaching at speed ( i live on a main road) i just managed to get clear in time.
So i have had my gypsy's warning and faithfully check it every time now by listerning for the lock to click in.
Mine is the type that you need both hands to pull the back locking ring towards you to release the locking balls.

Mike

If it can be done it i will be done .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 24/9/09 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
That is one lucky escape, I would just be pleased that all my limbs and faculties were intact, and breath a huge sigh of relief.

For myself I choose not to tax and insure my little car this year as the cost offsets a few track days, I would look for something tatty and cheap and hack it around tracks and trailer it there, £1,200 will get you out once a month in the summer.

You can never drive these near their capabilities on the road, you just end up going to fast, track days rock

I parked my bike up this year after watching my mate spin down the M20 on his back last year following a visit to the moto GP in Spain, back wheel locked up and throw him off... it makes you think.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 24/9/09 by mark chandler]

Dangle_kt

posted on 24/9/09 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Bad news mate, your was well nice too. All the best wth whatever you decide!
RK

posted on 24/9/09 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Have you thought of a nice road bicycle?

OK, that wasn't called for. I am sure your accident will encourage others to consider full cages though, so it wasn't all for nothing. That was a bad one, and yet you are both relatively OK. Cars can be replaced.

Werner Van Loock

posted on 25/9/09 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
Blimey, got the same QR boss

note to myself: check very carefully and don't rush

Glad you're ok

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jabbahutt

posted on 25/9/09 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Hells bells you and your mate were damn fortunate, the main thing is you're both okay.

Gutted for your loss of car but at least it can be replaced, you and your friend however couldn't

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/9/09 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if that cage at least doubled of not much more the strength of the passenger compartment, I suspect you'd have had to be cut out of that car had you not had one. Just think of that fatal Westfield crash a short while back.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

Gergely

posted on 25/9/09 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
No! That's horrible news. Glad that you are both fine! And that insurance paid. I will check my QR very carefully now... especially as my insurance would not pay a penny...
Cheer up, you will build or buy another one, I am sure!
Gergely

Our build pictures

splitrivet

posted on 25/9/09 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Glad to hear you and your buddy are OK that must have been one hell of an arse twitching drive with the wheel coming off in your hands.

As far as QR steering wheels go what is the point. If its a theft deterrent why, our cars must be the least attractive to your average car thief unless its for strip down and parts in which case they'd just lift the front end and tow it away.
Poseabillity seems the only reason to me but why put something in place which is so vunerable to human error as the case here with such huge consequences. Talk of the roll cage saving the day are valid but your missing the point it was a bit of unnecessary kit and human error that caused the accident but without the kit the human error would not have happened.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

40inches

posted on 25/9/09 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Can see why a QR wheel is an IVA fail.
Glad you are both OK.
As said buy the car, trackday it untill you can insure it, or, use the trackday fees to pay the insurance now. The way I see it is that I would pay £23 a week to drive a 7

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 29/9/09 at 02:47 AM Reply With Quote
glad you walked away from that mate - after rolling the dax last year twice over and landing on its wheels the first thing i did was fit a cage to the new car even before i drove it!

the car was written off by hitting a deer in germany

and afterwards all i could think of was if the deer or an object large came over the engine cover towards heads - decapitation would of been instant..

you seem to have been saved from the wheel by the cage - it did it job - the passenger cell is definitely more survivable with a cage - i cant understand now why people do not realise just what time bombs they are without one - i used to say the same as people say now - 'why put one on? - it wont happen to me - naaaaaa never - im a careful driver' - well in truth accidents happen when its beyond your control - next time your out in any car drive slowly at around 30 - 40 mph - fix on a lamppost or similar and see just how fast it actually does travel towards you.. imagine that hitting? then think i can afford a cage.. i only get one life - i want to live it - i dont want my kids to have no dad - its just not worth running around with one of those bars like this

car on road
car on road

no offence intended but just how vunerable is that?

another point to why quick release steering wheels are used - not all cars have the luxury of getting in with the wheel on! - i certainly cannot get in with it on - i gotta admit tho i do check it more often now tho

i would get another car - just track day it - couple o years till insurance comes down - mine jumped 25% after the dax was wrote off.. hmmmm just love insurance companies.. new quote this year is down by £80 from last year.. maybe one or 2 more years to be back to where i was..

buy the car back if you can - mine was a cat B - speak to the assessor directly - get the car back and sell the bits seperately - you will have to prove the chassis is destroyed tho if you do

antonio

posted on 29/9/09 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
oh putain!
glad you and your mate are ok.

dhutch

posted on 3/10/09 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Crikey. Yes, those are images to show the children for sure (preferably after a few years driving). What an utter bastard eh. Glad you and your passenger are safe and well, but a year into ownership myself, i would have been heart broken to be in your shoes.

Re getting a new car. £1200 is an outrageous amount for years cover. But i pay nearly for mine and its only money. Buy a slightly cheaper car even, put that towards insurence and get back on your wheels. You know you want to!

Daniel

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.