Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Headlight covers Fury
dickie b

posted on 30/10/09 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy, David and all

Maybe a non-refundable deposit should be paid first?

I would suggest that a 50% to reserve a set and then balance on delivery, something like that may ensure that the requisite orders are confirmed?

Happy to post up loads of pics of the first prototype to help reassure prospective buyers.

cheers

Richard

Brommers

posted on 1/11/09 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
Well I'm down for three sets and if it helps reassure Andy I'm happy to pay for them in full up front. Trust is a two-way street, and I've seen the covers he did for the Stylus so I've no doubts he'll do a good job.

What's the advantage of perspex over ABS? ABS as I understand it is a pretty tough material whereas perspex (acrylic) is rather brittle and (AIUI) prone to shattering. I don't mind paying a bit extra if the perspex ones have a definite advantage though.

Dan

p.s. definitely wouldn't want tinted perspex though - I want as much light to get from the headlights to the road as possible...

[Edited on 1/11/09 by Brommers]

hobbsy

posted on 1/11/09 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
I'm happy to pay a deposit as well obviously.

How much of a tint are we talking as light output is a concern to me as well as I sometimes drive at night.

Also not 100% sure which material - guess it doesn't matter at this stage but please let us know when you need to know for sure and I'll make a decision!

Jos Fury

posted on 2/11/09 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
I am happy to pay a deposit on two sets as well. Not sure about which material is best, but I prefer clear covers though.

[Edited on 2/11/09 by Jos Fury]

Chet

posted on 4/11/09 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'd like two sets and can arrange for deposit if needed.

Thanks
Chet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 9/11/09 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'll take a set. I assume if/when they get smashed during the first race of the season we can order another set, or do i need to order some spares now??

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Creative Andy

posted on 20/11/09 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Fury headlight covers

Thanks to you for your replies.....I'm going ahead! when I have the moulds sorted I'll get some pictures done and post them. Thanks for your interest guys
Creative Andy

posted on 20/11/09 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
spares

you'll be able to order as and when, also I'm thinking of making some carbon ones for you 'racers'....very light weight, again I'll post the pictures when they're completed............AND I'm thinking of taking a mould of the power bulge from the bonnet I have, would that be of interest to anyone?
Jos Fury

posted on 30/1/10 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Any news on the headlight covers maybe ?
Brommers

posted on 24/3/10 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Bump. Any news on when these will be available? I have another two people who each want one set each, so that's five sets when added to my three...
hobbsy

posted on 24/3/10 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
It has gone a bit quiet hasn't it?

I've got Andy's mobile and email but not with me at the moment. I'll give him a call in the next few days to find out what the situation is.

Brommers

posted on 24/3/10 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent, cheers. Got some RGB racers very keen to have some - should be worth at least .5mph at Snett...
dickie b

posted on 25/3/10 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Gents

Just picked up thread.. Andy emailed me a few weeks back to send me some pics of progress.

I am sure he will not mind, but I have uploaded the pics to my photo archive for you guys to see.

Even though they are still in buck-form, the shape looks really good and the finished items will doubtless look superb. They suit very well and give it a bit of a 'Stylus' look.

We discussed having the cover edges flush with the bonnet (rather then lapped over) - this will probably mean either having to lose the bezels off existing headlamps, or an alternative solution could be Andy also supplying a 'masking ring' to allow smaller headlamps (e.g like sylva J15 does) to be fitted into existing headlamp holes as a retro-fit option.

Either way, these will look the business when they are ready, but Andy mentioned he is up to his ears in other work, but progress is continuing.

good stuff.

Jos Fury

posted on 29/3/10 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you for the update. They certainly do look very good. I like the flush fit too. A masking ring would be a good option as without the bezel on the existing headlamp it does not look so nice.

[Edited on 29/3/10 by Jos Fury]

hobbsy

posted on 29/3/10 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
I text Andy on Friday and he rang me back and said he'd email me some photos.

I haven't had the email but looks like dickie b has posted probably the same photos he was going to send anyway.

I think there might have been some confusion as he thought he was waiting for people to accept the slightly higher (£65?) price if made from Perspex.

I said everyone is still keen and there are possibly even more people who wants pairs (ref Dan's post).

Hopefully we'll have some more progress soon.

MK9R

posted on 14/6/10 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Updates?

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

dickie b

posted on 19/6/10 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
Nothing heard this end..
Creative Andy

posted on 30/7/10 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Fury Headlight Molds

The News you’ve been waiting for (I hope!) The moulds are made. In view of the fact the Stylus vac form covers made from Polythylenterephthalate Copolymer didn't sell (although cheaper than perspex) I can only assume they weren't as durable at resisting scratches. I did ask for feedback but none was forthcoming. So I am making the Fury covers in either perspex which required making four moulds, two male and two female, I will also be offering Carbon Fibre blanks for the racing guys which will be mega light and not at a silly price. You can cut out a small hole for your light if required for racing. I'll also be offering mega light Carbon Fibre power bulges, again at a sensible price. I've been working on a couple of Red Bull planes with carbon and know how much it is to buy, can't believe some of the prices I've seen for CF mods, just because it's the current trend.
Back to the headlight covers. I view of the way the headlights and bezels are mounted, it looks like you'll have to remove the bezel, or move the unit down a few mm. Or if preferred I can trim them with a small lip to fit on top of the surrounding body work. Ideally I'd rather do just the one size. Next week I'm going to see the guys that will do the forming, so if my mould are ok, we'll be in business, any feedback from the news will be great appreciated, also your thoughts on the carbon fibre offerings too. I'll let you know of the price when I know how much they're going to cost me........Not only but also, it would be great to try the moulds out on a few of your cars before I settle on the final trimming, so if there's a bunch of you not to far from Lambourn, Berkshire, I will happily drive to see you to make sure all is going to work. The bonnet I have doesn't have any lights for me to check for clearance. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say....Andy

MK9R

posted on 2/8/10 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
great stuff, i'm happy to do some trial fitting etc, i have none standard lights with dog bowls but will be good to see ho wthey fit. Carbon and or clear sound good, lightweight sounds very good

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

dickie b

posted on 2/8/10 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Woo Hoo ! Great news Andy that the covers are progressing . The carbon fibre bonnet bulge sounds very tasty too.

The move to perspex sounds a good move (and the CF covers will no doubt look rather cool for the racing cars too). My opinion on the design is to have the covers flush with the edge of the overall recess (e,g sylva phoenix) rather than a lip over the outer edge. I know this will probably mean that for existing cars the options will be :

a) chrome bezel will have to ditched
b) or.. a smaller headlamp and 'frame' fitted as a retrofit job
c) or.. for a neater job some grp fettling / repair to reduce the aperture and then fitting smaller units like the new Sylva J15.

entirely my preference of course, but options above should suit most owners?

be good to get more feedback on this.

ta

Richard

hobbsy

posted on 2/8/10 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
The moulders are in Northampton so if I'm around Andy can trial fit on my car.

I'd rather not have to relocate the headlights but I'm not 100% sure which option would be best until I see it!

Creative Andy

posted on 11/8/10 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Carbon light covers for racing

I can now report that I have made the first set of carbon light covers for racing. made from 2 layers of carbon using epoxy resin, the pair weigh in at just over 200grams, so nice and light. The perspex cover couldn't be formed because of the shape (too deep a dish), so I'm now doing what I have done for the Stylus guys and having them vac formed in PetG. This is my second attempt at doing light covers for the Sylva mark, I really hope this time they "take off"! If you're interested just let me know..cheers
hobbsy

posted on 11/8/10 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Looking at the interest on this thread I don't think you'll have any problems selling more than 10 sets straight off.
Jos Fury

posted on 11/8/10 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
I am still in for two sets in petg. Which grade do you use ? Thinking about UV resistance and heat resistance. But as yo are the expert and done it before for the sylva's this will be ok.

I'd also rather not have to relocate/change the headlights diam. but I'm not 100% sure which option would be best until I see it. Removing the ring and replacing it with something else maybe ?

Andy, thank you for doing this ! Reading back this topic, I think selling 20 sets should not be a problem. Also, here in the Netherlands, there are several Fury owners who might want to buy some when they see them on my Fury

dickie b

posted on 12/8/10 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy

Put me down for a set in PetG. I think they will look superb whatever the adopted headlamp solution.

I am sure there will be good take up of these. There are a lot of Furys out there!

Will stick a post on the Sylva google groups and if anyone can do same on the main JPSC club site?

[Edited on 12/8/10 by dickie b]

[Edited on 12/8/10 by dickie b]

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.