Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Some guy just crashed into me. Whose fault do you think it is?
smart51

posted on 4/11/09 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
Is this a newer image of the roundabout (2008)?
- Seam to still show box, but seems newly resurfaced.

The turning left arrows on the left hand lane of Barnes Hill were only reinstated last week (a fact that the other driver volunteered and that I also knew). The picture must either be less than 1 (or 2) weeks old or more than 3 years old.

I'm glad that you generally think I wan't being stupid but I'm cursing insurance companies for taking things 50/50. I'll certainly fight it if they suggest it. Given that I've paid for legal protection with my insurance, I'll make sure they use it if it comes to that.

JoelP

posted on 4/11/09 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone with any sense would see it as right lane for right, especially as California Way is a single carriage road. What a fool. In your favour is the fact that its obvious to any competent driver that the right lane is for turning right, unless marked otherwise. Plus, i guess he was slightly behind you (would be good evidence if your front wing was undamaged), hence should've avoided the collision.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

bmseven

posted on 4/11/09 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Click for Highway code - Roundabouts

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

macspeedy

posted on 4/11/09 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
makes me angry how most people dont know how to use roundabouts

his fault for sure

smart51

posted on 4/11/09 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Here are a couple of pics. First the front wing. The epicentre seems to be behind the front axle line. Note how he dented my wheel, punctured the tyre and lost the (both) wheel trims.

Image deleted by owner

Then look at the rear. The black line under the rear window is actually a dent with black stuff smeared in it. His wing mirror?

Image deleted by owner

I'll take some more pictures in the daylight. I just didn't want the rain to wash off too much evidence.

morcus

posted on 4/11/09 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thats the big problem with roundabouts, too many people either don't know how to use them or use them wrong on purpose. ast time I drove into the town centre I got stuck behind someone who got in the left hand lane and idicated right at every round about (4). You got idiots who get in the wrong lanes, other idiots who indicate badly and others that don't think they have to stop (I've had to stop on roundabouts before because some idiot has pulled out infront of me and not even bothered to accellerate.

The lanes (Unless otherwise marked) are simple, Left lane for going anything upto straight across, anything else is the right hand lane. According to BSM teaching you should only use a middle lane on an unmarked round about if your going straight on and everyone in the first lane is indicating left (Apparently its law).

RK

I think the insurance, being what it is, will go 50/50. Just the easiest for them, and it won't matter who is correct. Unless, you obviously cut him off, leaving him no choice but to run into you, it looks like he ought to have paid a little more attention, and not been so aggressive.

Other than that, I know nothing about your rules on those roundabouts. I felt pretty lucky I only had one person honk at me when I was driving around over there (I am sure it was all my fault), and we did MANY roundabouts near London. We don't have many over here, and they are always a bit of a nightmare at rush hour "Oh, you're already on the way around; I think I'll just cut you off so I can get home faster. I have more rights than you, and have to go to the bathroom".

clairetoo

Sounds like he may have had my first driving instructor - he shouted at me for taking avoiding action , just because I was technically in the right.........this guy seems to have carried on regardless , and rammed you because he believed he was right

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

smart51

posted on 5/11/09 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
Sounds like he may have had my first driving instructor - he shouted at me for taking avoiding action , just because I was technically in the right

So did my driving test examiner. He said he passed me despite taking evasive action

JUD

posted on 5/11/09 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Think the insurance would go knock for knock. They may bank it up with the opposing insurer and trader it against another they have in hand with them.

The thing I don't understand is the fact that on such a roundabout you wouldn't be going that fast which would mean you had longer reaction times. Surely if he used that approach all the time he must have had near misses before - since I, like most here would have done exactly what you did. If this is the case then he couldn't have been paying much attention - he hit you in the front arch which means you were clearly visible out his drivers window. It almost seems as though he was on autopilot and turned into the roundabout to turn right from the middle lane without a clue if anybody was there. Presumably the left hand lane of the straight on direction was empty and he could have easily used that as an "escape road".

Undue care and attention on his part I say!

Martin

---------------------
MK Indy Blade

Benzine

posted on 5/11/09 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
must... resist...

must...

can't...

anyone who crashes into a micra is in the right XD

sorry! just joking ofc, sucks to be hit. Seriously though, the other driver is wrong, being in the left lane to go right is plain mental.

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 5/11/09 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
anyone who crashes into a micra is in the right

No Micras here. (It's a Peugeot!)

Benzine

posted on 5/11/09 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Ahh fair enough, that first pic looks a lot like the newer style micra is it one of those peugeots that looks like John Prescott from the front?

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
morcus

posted on 5/11/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
My first thought was nissan (Note, it has a front in a simillar shape) then I figured it was a citroen C1, so I guess I was sort of right.

I haven't re-read so this might be wrong but you were going ahead? If so you could have been doing the speed limit (I've got a simillar sized car and can turn a sharp right on a mini roundabout at 38(On my sat nav) without hitting the white bit or the curb).

smart51

posted on 24/2/10 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Direct Line Update

I phoned Direct Line today, 16 weeks on from the crash. They've decided that the other driver was uninsured. Now that I've rung them, they're going to write to the TP giving them 14 days to settle the claim before legal proceedings are taken to recover the costs. During this 16 weeks, they've written 3 letters and seemingly nothing more. Am I being unreasonable to expect a little more movement from an insurance company than this?

Also, given the guy who crashed in to me was a young lad in a 12 year old rover, what are the chances of him being able to pay for the claim? I bet he gets off lightly for driving without insurance too.

Kwik

posted on 24/2/10 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Am I being unreasonable to expect a little more movement from an insurance company than this?

i guess insurance is a bit like the post office, your not aloud to claim the parcel is lost until 28 days after its posted... they might need to wait a certain amount of time untill there aloud to take any real action against the other driver

MikeRJ

posted on 24/2/10 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I phoned Direct Line today, 16 weeks on from the crash.

You have my sympathies, insurers seem to work a snail speed.

A friend of mine had a woman in a Ka pull out in front of his Mondeo some years back, and it spun the car after clipping her and slammed him sideways into a lamppost. Needless to say the Mondeo was very banana shaped and he was none too healthy afterwards and still has back problems. The insurers took over 2 years to pay out for that, but then again he never "hurried them up" with regular phone calls and letters which I said he should do.

This is where the accident management companies score. They are undoubtedly raising peoples premiums with the amount of money they take from insurers, but the insurances companies certainly move a lot faster when there is a third party billing them for their time.

JoelP

posted on 24/2/10 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Also, given the guy who crashed in to me was a young lad in a 12 year old rover, what are the chances of him being able to pay for the claim? I bet he gets off lightly for driving without insurance too.

i wouldnt be suprised if he didnt get prosecuted anyway, i had a similar situation and the cop i rang said it was a civil matter as we had exchanged (incorrect) details at the scene. The bugger never coughed up either

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.