Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: It weren't like this when I were a lad
flak monkey

posted on 22/12/09 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thats the thing you see...

Is the climate changing? Yes it is - and always has done

Is man having an effect on the current increase in temps? Maybe - but at the moment the average global temp is well within the normal historical variation.

How big is the effect? No one really 100% knows - hence why governments are taking the precautions of trying to reduce emmissions.

You can make the data say what you want depending on your viewpoint. In the 1970s the data pointed to global cooling and everyone was panicing that the next ice age was coming as the trend was globl temps decreasing. Now the trend is increasing temps everyone jumps on the global warming bandwagon.

Theres a saying in the scientific community - if you want funding for your project mention climate change and you'll get as much as you can spend.

My viewpoint is this:
The climate is changing - though whilst it is within the natural variation of historic temps I am not panicing.

Yes the whole world needs to reduce its use of carbon based fuels, this can only be a good thing long term as it provokes development of new technologies. And this should be the driving force for these technologies.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Confused but excited.

posted on 22/12/09 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51

Even China is now industrialising

we consume 3 times as much natural resource as the planet can support per person

Your grand-kids had better learn Chinese then. It's only a matter of time..........

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

twybrow

posted on 22/12/09 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Forgive me chaps, I sent the link to this thread to my Mrs, who is a climate change advisor for the UK goverment. Here is her response:

"Yes, climate has always changed, lots of natural cycles, caused, in part to Milankovitch cycles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles. This is totally normal, and explains some of the things listed above - warmer in roman times, colder in middle ages (the mini-ice age), sea level changes, and there is nothing we will do to change these natural cycles.

However, the levels of CO2 (and other greenhouse gases) in the atmosphere are totally unprecedented for many thousands of years. These are warming the Earth and masking the natural cycles (e.g. the mentioned ice age we are apparently heading towards). Yes, we've seen CO2 levels this high before many millennia ago, but we weren't around then. With 6 billion people living on our planet now, climate changes of the scale we will see if we don't do anything will be, quite simply, catastrophic.

Has anyone actually sat down and read the latest assessment of ALL the climate science out there, the IPCC forth assessment report (http://www.ipcc.ch/)? I haven't, and until I do, I think its fair to say that there are a lot of people out there who understand the science more than me. Most notably, about 96% of all the climate scientists out there.

And we have quite considerably more than the Central England Temperature record. Yes, this is one of the best data sets due to its detail, accuracy and length, but we have quite an arsenal of other data at our disposal - including ice cores, which document Earth's changes from well before we ever started using thermometers.

Remember - "global warming" isn't all about being able to sit about outside in your pants in the middle of winter in 50 years time. Yes, we are expecting AVERAGES of warmer, wetter winters and hotter, drier summers, but we also expect more extreme weather events. The climate will get more unpredictable. It is quite possible that we can have a cold summer or a dry winter without us all proclaiming that the science is rubbish.

All the latest climate predictions for the UK can be found at http://ukcp09.defra.gov.uk/ - the most advanced in the world - and you can look for your region at what you might be able to expect (on
average) in the future. Definitely more kit car days for me.

And, for the record, the ozone layer is NOT related to global warming - not all environmental issues raised in the last 30 years are to do with global warming!"

I'll happily send her any questions/comments you might have....

[Edited on 22/12/09 by twybrow]

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/12/09 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
^ spot on flak monkey

Those climate change hypochondriacs always look on the bad side of things. Think off all the huge areas of land that will become usable instead of being too cold, Canada, Russia for example while of some desert regions becoming more barren, which is a pretty stupid place to live anyway.

[Edited on 22/12/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 22/12/09 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
FFS lads.

All I said was, don't you think it's a bit chilly this winter

A1

posted on 22/12/09 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
climate change is a natrual occurance, the world has gone through 4 major climate shifts in its life.
this may be encouraged by us, or it may not, but anything we do now wont make any difference for hundreds of years.
the world apparently orbits the sun in an eliptical pattern, so sometimes its closer to the sun and we get hot and sometimes its further away and we get cold.
i dont think we should be too worried, we just shouldnt be as wasteful as we have become. Long and short is theres just too many humans and sooner or later nature will come sort us out.

just my 2p

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 22/12/09 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
FFS lads.

FCUK Lads Im depressed enough as it is......
All I can say is WEAR THE FOX HAT!

Findlay234

posted on 22/12/09 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
We are technically coming out of an ice age in the GRAND scheme of things so temperatures should be increasing....

should they be increasing as fast as they are currently?... maybe not... whos to really say

If they are increasing faster than normal can we say that this is our fault?....... not catagorically.

Do we have an effect on the planet?.... undoubtedly

Is it as big as an effect as some wish you believe? (al gore and other political types)...... maybe... but probably not.

Do we have a duty to try and do something about it?.... yes we should try and limit our affect on the planet but we must tread carefully.... "look china, i know weve had our industrial revolution but now we THINK it has an effect on the climate we would like you to stop having yours... i know its unfair but think about mother nature".... its just not going to happen.

In summary, we do affect the climate, by how much.... well theres a lot of debate on that and A LOT of bias statistics and information remember most statistics can be shown both ways.

As a radio DJ said once... if we are actually having an effect on the climate then there is nothing we can really do about it. The level we produce as a country is a drop in the ocean to china/india/etc and theyre only going to produce more. so if it is our fault, dont worry about it, theres nothing you can do just sit pack and enjoy the party while it lasts...... (not totally in line with my own opinion btw)

scootz

posted on 22/12/09 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
FFS lads.

Nope... if anything I think it's been pretty mild so far!

It's Evolution Baby!

Findlay234

posted on 22/12/09 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^^^

Sorry flak monkey didnt read yours before i wrote mine... sounds like were singing from the same sheet

Findlay234

posted on 22/12/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/Vostok-ice-core-p etit.png

Ice core data

[Edited on 22/12/09 by Findlay234]

scootz

posted on 22/12/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
I don't have a problem with any pending disaster for mankind as I think we need a right good clear-out anyway. I do, however, get a little weepy about the plight of Polar Bears!

I like Polar Bears I do!

It's Evolution Baby!

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/12/09 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I don't have a problem with any pending disaster for mankind as I think we need a right good clear-out anyway. I do, however, get a little weepy about the plight of Polar Bears!

I like Polar Bears I do!

na their just savage seal murderers

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 22/12/09 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Man is so arrogant that they THINK we can control the climate.

Oh dear! There's so much wrong with this opinion it is tricky to know where to start. Man does not think it can control the climate. No-one has ever said this. Affecting something is not the same as controlling it. Since the invention of the steam engine, atmospheric CO2 levels have almost doubled. Temperatures have risen in line with the increase in CO2 levels. Aims to reduce CO2 output to limit temperature rise is not controlling the climate.

You do something. It affects something else badly. You stop doing the thing. Where's the arrogance in that?

MikeRJ

posted on 22/12/09 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
No one is arguing that the temperature of the earth has fluctuated widly over the years - simply, this is the first time when we have fabricated evidence to show it is us making this change.

Fixed that for you!

smart51

posted on 22/12/09 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Findlay234
As a radio DJ said once... if we are actually having an effect on the climate then there is nothing we can really do about it.

A radio DJ? You're quoting what a radio DJ says as somehow the truth? If we are affecting it by our actions the of course we can change what we're doing.

quote:
Originally posted by Findlay234
The level we produce as a country is a drop in the ocean to china/india/etc and theyre only going to produce more.

Not true. We are one of the bad guys. We're not in the top 5 but that doesn't equate to a drop in the ocean. UK emissions per person are about 4 times higher than China's, they just have 20 times more people. Remember also that some of their pollution is making stuff for us so we are responsible for some of what they do.

MikeRJ

posted on 22/12/09 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
However, the levels of CO2 (and other greenhouse gases) in the atmosphere are totally unprecedented for many thousands of years. These are warming the Earth and masking the natural cycles (e.g. the mentioned ice age we are apparently heading towards).

Could you ask her why the temperature changes do not track CO2 levels without completely mangling the data, or why the other climate effects that can be found in peer reviewed journals are simply being ignored?

scootz

posted on 22/12/09 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by scootz

I like Polar Bears I do!

na their just savage seal murderers

The Seals are asking for it as they murder lot's of fish! Fish are the Polar Bears friends.

It's Evolution Baby!

jeffw

posted on 22/12/09 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Central England Temperature series

From the Wikipedia article.....which specific piece of data indicates we are all doomed ? Maybe the hottest summer being 1976 (which I remember as we had a drought followed by a very hard winter) or the coolest year being 1740.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_England_temperature

HOTTEST

* The hottest year in the sequence was 2006 with a mean temperature of 10.82°C, a notable jump on the previous record, a tie between 1990 and 1999 with a mean of 10.63°C[3]
* The warmest spring (March, April, May) was in 1893 with a mean of 10.20°C, breaking the previous record of 9.73°C set in 1779.
* The hottest summer (June, July, August) was in 1976 with a mean of 17.77°C, breaking the previous record of 17.60°C set in 1826.
* The warmest autumn (September, October, November) was in 2006 with a mean of 12.62°C, breaking the previous record of 11.80°C set in 1730.
* The mildest winter (December, January, February) was in 1869 with a mean of 6.77°C, breaking the previous record of 6.53°C set in 1834.
* The mildest January was in 1916 with a mean of 7.5°C, breaking the previous record of 7.3°C set in 1796
* The mildest February was in 1779 with a mean of 7.9°C, breaking the previous record of 6.8°C set in 1739
* The warmest March was in 1957 with a mean of 9.2°C, breaking the previous record of 9.1°C set in 1938
* The warmest April was in 2007 with a mean of 11.2°C, breaking the previous record of 10.6°C set in 1865
* The warmest May was in 1833 with a mean of 15.1°C, breaking the previous record of 13.8°C set in 1758
* The hottest June was in 1846 with a mean of 18.2°C, breaking the previous record of 18.0°C set in 1676
* The hottest July was in 2006 with a mean of 19.7°C, breaking the previous record of 19.5°C set in 1983. July 2006 was also the hottest month in the series
* The hottest August was in 1995 with a mean of 19.2°C, breaking the previous record of 18.7°C set in 1975
* The warmest September was in 2006 with a mean of 16.8°C, breaking the record of 16.6°C set in 1729.
* The warmest October was in 2001 with a mean of 13.3°C, breaking the previous record of 13.0°C set in 1969
* The warmest November was in 1994 with a mean of 10.1°C, breaking the previous record of 9.5°C set in 1818
* The mildest December was in 1974 and 1934 with a mean of 8.1°C, breaking the previous record of 7.7°C set in 1852

COLDEST

* The coldest year was 1740 at a mean 6.84 °C.
* The coldest ever month was January 1795 with a mean temperature of -3.1°C.
* Despite the fact that 6 new hottest recorded months have been set in the last 15 years, 60 years have passed since the last time a coldest month record was broken, the coldest February in 1947 (mean temperature -1.9°C), breaking a record set in 1895.
* The coldest winter (December, January, February) was in 1684 with a mean of -1.17°C. The devastating winter centred on January 1963 was the 3rd coldest (mean -0.33°C).
* The coldest summer was in 1725 with a mean of 13.10°C.
* Four months still have records that were set in the 17th century (March, May, June and September).

twybrow

posted on 22/12/09 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
However, the levels of CO2 (and other greenhouse gases) in the atmosphere are totally unprecedented for many thousands of years. These are warming the Earth and masking the natural cycles (e.g. the mentioned ice age we are apparently heading towards).

Could you ask her why the temperature changes do not track CO2 levels without completely mangling the data, or why the other climate effects that can be found in peer reviewed journals are simply being ignored?

This is my answer:

it does track it....!

I'll see if she can reply too!

Jasper

posted on 22/12/09 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, climate has changed before, it always has and always will - what is different this time is the RATE of change. It is MUCH faster now than would be the case if nature was taking it's normal course (unless we had a MASSIVE volcanic event or got hit by a meteorite).

And knowbody is arguing that the planet will survive humans probably short time on it, it will as will most other forms of life. But we are in at serious risk of buggering up our civilisations as we know it. So yes, there will be rats and cockroaches and most plants etc etc around whatever we do, but whether there will be a nice human civilisation like we know it now (or better) for our kids and their kids is a very different story, our way of life is very fragile indeed.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

twybrow

posted on 22/12/09 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Well put Jasper.....
jollygreengiant

posted on 22/12/09 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I remember when I were a lad, being told by my primary school teacher that it was dangerous to walk out onto the ice that was on the sea in Swansea bay! That would have been around 1963...

Interestingly, even though it was VERY cold for quite a few weeks, cars and buses were still moving around the town.

The problem in the UK is that we're just not used to snow - other countries that get it every winter have developed techniques for dealing with it. For example, in some parts of Scandinavia they don't grit the roads - they just go over with a snow plough to move the bulk of it. Cars are expected/obliged to have winter tyres, and know how to drive in those conditions. I believe that fitting snow chains forms part of the driving test in some regions...

Yep 1963 . I remember that fondly. I lived down at Bognor Regis ( where I was born). The snow was wonderfully deep (NOT as bad as '49' I'm told tho). My mum took me for a winter walk down to the sea front. She even let me play (near to her on the snow on the beach (stones). Unfortunately it/I came unstuck when I found out that I was actually playing on the snow, on the ice, OVER the sea. Thankfully it wasn't deep, about a foot (the water that is) as I then went through the ice and my mum had to come and get me (only 4 at the time). The summer later was also I bellieve very hot (got bad sunburn all over apart from where my trunks were).

As for the cars coping, well the cars in those days all had skinny thin tyres (comparatively) that cut through the snow rather than the modern wide tyres that spread the load and sit on top of it. People also (mostly) traveled prepared for the snow with shovels, so that they could dig THEMSELVES out of trouble. I believe it was that winter when my father had to go and find one of my sisters who had not made contact. He had to litterally dig his way (with my brother) to her boyfriends house (about 10 miles) only to find her sitting comfortably infront of a warm fire with a phone box only 10 yards down the road.

Also over night people prepared for the next day by putting blankets over the screens and also (parafin) oil heaters under the sumps.

After that if you didn't have a car and public transport wasn't working then people reverted to shanksies pony and walked. To and from work (which for the most part was relatively local usually a max of 4 - 6 miles) also to and from school for which the staff usually lived in the same town as they were not at that time subject to abuse from the children and could meet out punishment unlike today.

Hang on I can feel a Four Yorkshiremen sketch coming on.......................................

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Jasper

posted on 22/12/09 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
The big problem is with an arguement like this, by the time the climate change lobby gets to say 'I told you so' it'll be too late and what's left of us will be hiding out in some hovel somewhere dreaming of the good old days of electricity and cars and central heating!!

Jasper

posted on 22/12/09 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

why the other climate effects that can be found in peer reviewed journals are simply being ignored?

Everyone knows there's always two sides to a scientific argument, but it is very widely accepted by most experts in the field that humans are seriously affecting global temperatures. There will always be those that disagree, (often funded by organisations with a vested interest in the status quo) but it doesn't mean you (as a scientist) have to spend all your time refuting other peers arguments, they've probably got better things to do, like lobbying for change.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.