Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Water based paint
johncarman

posted on 22/12/09 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Water based paint

There have been a number of discussions on here about which type of paint to use, one which is often recommended as being safe and easy for home use is water based. I have in the past sprayed my car with Cellulose with few problems, but now I want to respray and I am wondering if I should be considering water based ??

My main question is what primer and what clear coat to use with these, there are lots of mentions of using 2K clear but surely this defeats the object of using water based for safety reasons ?? I would be greatful if somebody could point me in the direction of primer and clear which can be used with water based and are safe for home use.

Thanks,

John

blue2cv

posted on 22/12/09 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
i think you'll find that the only clearcoats available are 1k and 2k and yes it does make a mockery of the whole goody two shoes water based thing, we use 1k or 2k primer, water based colour then lacquer of either type depending on what we are doing,
blakep82

posted on 22/12/09 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
doesn't water based mean it will just run off if it gets wet?
i think water based is still very expensive too isn't it?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

boggle

posted on 22/12/09 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
i get water based for £50 a litre and solvent based for £55 a litre...

you need lots of warm air and a dry area to paint it, and then 2k laquer to finish it... octoral ms 2:1 with a fast hardener and 10% thinners works best i have found...

you may find that if you dont want mettalic then a good 2k commercial paint is best....

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

boggle

posted on 22/12/09 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
also its the solvent in the base coat that is said to cause enviromental issues and not the cyanide content in the lacquer...

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Steve G

posted on 22/12/09 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boggle
also its the solvent in the base coat that is said to cause enviromental issues and not the cyanide content in the lacquer...

Of a greater concern to me personally is the potential health issues if proper protective equipment isn't used with 2K.

There's plenty of info on Isocyanates if you do a search on Google etc but basically it can cause various respiratory diseases such as asthma. Given that its generally through longer term exposure but is it really worth the risk for home use if there's an alternative?? Doubt your neighbours would be too impressed if you were playing in the garage with a Cyanide derivative either!!

I've used 1K laquer myself as advised by my local paint supplier for home use. Go find a reputable local paint supplier (ensures proper compatability with everything you use that way) and take their advice on what to use given the facilities you have and the finish you want.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.