Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Buying a car without tax
stevegough

posted on 6/1/10 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Just to go off on a slight tangent from this thread, but on the same lines.......

Last year my son bought a car which tax had just run out - when he came to try and tax it - he wasn't allowed to do so - the reason was that the car had been previously recorded on the V5 as registered to a disabled person (hence the tax was 'free' ) - as my son wasn't disabled, he was not able to tax it until he had re-registered it in his name and recieved the new V5. He then had to go IN PERSON to the DVLA offices, sign a declaration that he wasn't disabled - they then sent the V5 to Swansea - only then was he allowed to tax it. He was not permitted to use the car for almost six weeks.

Red tape gone bonkers

Moral - watch out if you buy a car on a 'disabled' V5....

[Edited on 6/1/10 by stevegough]

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

sonic

posted on 6/1/10 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guy's
If the Garage or Motortrader you are buying it from has full motortrade insurance he can tax any car with it.
He needs to fill in the small Green section on the V5 and say the full V5 has been sent off,they will then tax it.
If not as long as it has a valid MOT and you have a insurance note with a number on take your laptop go to the nearest McDonalds as they have free WiFi connection and tax it on line.
The coppers scan your reg plate these days and check before they have pulled you to see if the car has Tax so if you do it on line it will not flag up with them.

Second thing is if you get caught with no Tax they can take the car off you and have it crushed so beware.

Peteff

posted on 6/1/10 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
If you have a receipt and are driving it home you will obviously not be trying to get away with anything, just get insured.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

johnston

posted on 6/1/10 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
Its also worth noting that you cannot TAX a car if there is only a few days MOT left. im not sure of the exact number though.

well thats a load of tosh I taxed a MK2 golf with 1 day
mot left on it in the tax office not post office.

One year My mum cocked the form up once first time she posted it by the time she got it back to fix and posted it again it would have got to them on the last day of MOT but she chanced her luck anyway. She got a years tax.

bmseven

posted on 6/1/10 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
I spoke to a traffic copper at work and said he wouldnt nick you if you had just bought it and had all the paperwork in order.

You will not be able to insure and tax it online on the same day as it takes a while for the info (24-48 hrs) for the information to populate the insurance database.

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

prawnabie

posted on 6/1/10 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnston
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
Its also worth noting that you cannot TAX a car if there is only a few days MOT left. im not sure of the exact number though.

well thats a load of tosh I taxed a MK2 golf with 1 day
mot left on it in the tax office not post office.

One year My mum cocked the form up once first time she posted it by the time she got it back to fix and posted it again it would have got to them on the last day of MOT but she chanced her luck anyway. She got a years tax.

Just shows you the consistency isn't rife in the post office either!

morcus

posted on 6/1/10 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure it says on an MOT certificate that getting it tested again with more than a month on it invalidates the old one, I haven't got one handy as the car here with an MOT is the jag and as I posted earlier, I'm not risking unlocking it again.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_4022108 This says that doing so within a month of expirery won't hurt the old one but I can't see anything explictly stating you'd lose it here but I'm sure I've read it somewhere.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.