Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: planning own car project
dtmpower

posted on 21/4/10 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
planning own car project

I am planning on building my own car from fresh, commencing the build in the next year or so. Initially I want to read up on the subject, design the chassis and make a build plan before getting stuck in.

How do you go about designing the car from scratch ? I have an idea in my mind how it should look, general size etc. But is there any good books or articles to read to cover some of the following:

wheelbase
track/width
expected weight
occupancy / passenger space
height
wheel size
engine / layout
bodywork material + fitment
doors
chassis material / construction
suspension donor or bespoke
gearing / gearbox / drive train
IVA compulsory features.

I expect people will think I am copying Rob, but I did speak to Dom9 about this many months before Rob realised his blog. I want to build a kei car sized group c replica, with the body shell being made from lexan (much like an r/c car)

Is the Kimini book worth buying ? Are there any other books that would be worth reading ?

I want to get some CAD software to plan out the chassis - is SketchUp fit for the purpose or is there another cheap alternative such as turboCAD ?

balidey

posted on 21/4/10 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
A very good start is to read High Speed Low Cost by Allan Staniforth. Yes its old, but a fantastic book written very well by someone who knew about car design and set up.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

alistairolsen

posted on 21/4/10 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Read, lots. I started building then started reading and Ive made so many decisions which are compromised (for a start starting with a seven frame )

On the contrary, get stuck in, otherwise youll spend the rest of your life deciding what youre going to do and never do it!

Ive got kit car suspension and brakes by Des Hammil
competition car aerodynamics by simon macbeath
chassis engineering by herb adams

Various of the bell books on engines

Iva manual (download)

then because of previous hobbies, lots of grp and composites stuff from a boatbuilding background, a lot of online reading, forums and papers and suchlike.

are you limiting yourself to production car uprights etc or going bespoke? Sometimes a few limitations provide you with the contraints to work to (my track was decided by standard locost proportions and geometry to an extent by the choice of upright....

My Build Thread

tegwin

posted on 21/4/10 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.kimini.com/Reference/index.html

I highly recomend you buy the Kimini book! Realy good read!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

iank

posted on 21/4/10 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Race and Rally Car Source Book by Allan Staniforth (has a very useful drawing showing how to position drive/seat/controls) and a huge amount of excellent information on suspension design and construction.

Lots of interesting information on http://www.autospeed.com/

Since you want a lexan body (presumably heat moulded) then this article should get you going
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_111051/article.html

Chassis design should ideally come after you've drawn up the driver and controls and the suspension/engine position. If going for a spaceframe then build a physical scale model out of balsa to get a feel for it's stiffness - it's really easy to experiment and understand where to add/remove members to improve your design.

Good luck, don't underestimate the amount of work you're letting yourself in for.

Worth looking at the dp1 website for ideas as well.
http://www.dpcars.net/

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Theshed

posted on 21/4/10 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely read and draw first cut later. There is a huge temptation to start laying out a chassis. My best tip would be when you cannot ressist the craving for dirt under your nails to concentrate on getting all the bought in parts in good shape (even if you give up you can flog them). Next build yourself a great big build table. CAD is great but so is Balsa. I use an early version of Turbocad as it helps with dimensions and is dirt cheap. I used Susprog to design suspension great but not so cheap.

Your biggest decision for a Type C will be which gearbox to use. In line transaxles dictate lots of other design decisions.

Confused but excited.

posted on 21/4/10 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Also; Designing and Building Special Cars by Andre Jute.
Explains the design process and how to go about it, in simple terms and is a really good read. Not stuffy at all.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

iank

posted on 21/4/10 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theshed
Your biggest decision for a Type C will be which gearbox to use. In line transaxles dictate lots of other design decisions.

If it's Kei Car sized then there may not be room for a longitudinal engine and transaxle. BEC or transverse CEC may be options. But the principle of deciding things like that early is sound as suspension will have to take account if it's a transverse install.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

zilspeed

posted on 21/4/10 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Be hugely motivated is the first thing.
Make all your own decisions is the second.

By all means, read stuff on here and elswhere, but ultimately, read, learn, understand, do is the only way.

Being focused on the finishing line is the single most important concept.
If you manage that, you can achieve whatever you want to.

Hammerhead

posted on 21/4/10 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
read this
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=54042

ettore bugatti

posted on 21/4/10 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Buy an Autozam AZ-1 would be much wiser although not as fun.

One of the prototypes:

[Edited on 21/4/10 by ettore bugatti]

Fred W B

posted on 21/4/10 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Some discussion you may find helpfull

HERE

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

dtmpower

posted on 24/4/10 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the all interesting and helpful replies. I will try and get hold the of the books listed in the thread.

Other than these books :

Book List

Is there any further suggestions ? ( Kimini is not on amazon uk - but I will be buying the b/w copy to read)

quote:
Originally posted by ettore bugatti
Buy an Autozam AZ-1 would be much wiser although not as fun.

One of the prototypes:

[Edited on 21/4/10 by ettore bugatti]

ettore - thanks, as it happens that's my inspiration picture. Seen my thread on pistonheads ?

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=30&t=841502&mid=28387&nmt=planning%20own%20car%20project

I always liked that concept version of the AZ550 but not so keen on the AZ-1 production models, not to mention their huge value in Japan still and the unfavourable exchange rate. There was an AZ-1 for sale in Guernsey sometime ago for about £8k.

I want to start the build as a hobby, the engineering side of the project is as important as the final car. I mistakenly read Physics at university - when I really should have taken an engineering or a motorsport related course.

[Edited on 25/4/10 by dtmpower]

andkilde

posted on 25/4/10 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Check this out:

http://speed-car.com/

Seems like the form factor you're describing, the styling is a little more utilitarian but the mechanicals are there.

There are a bunch of YouTube vids of it in action as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjlq1tkE1CQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrQX1KLceCY

t

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ettore bugatti

posted on 27/4/10 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
I read the thread on PH, but you dont have a preference for an engine/ gearbox?

The book of Andre Jute is very nice (a bit dated, but sound principals)
Another tips:
-Racing and sports car chassis design, Costin & Phipps
-How to Build Motorcycle-engined Racing Cars, Tony Pashley
-the build diary thread of the Warner R4 on this forum.

Achieving the Group C looks might be difficult, since you cannot put the lights that low and still beeing road legal.
However Pagani:
http://thespeedbarrier.blogspot.com/2007/11/design-study-pagani-zonda.html

Something says me that Mini mechanicals combined with a potent bike engine will get you very near.(whispering GTM COX, Landar R7)

Good luck!

dtmpower

posted on 3/5/10 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Another concern has come to my mind - is a single garage enough space to get started ? Or will I be tripping over myself all the time ?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.