Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help for a newbie going to Stoneleigh
Colesy21

posted on 30/4/10 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Help for a newbie going to Stoneleigh

In the next few months I'm hoping to buy my first kit car so I'm off to Stoneleigh for the first time on Sunday to try and get as much information as possible to help with my decision making. I was hioping that a few people could point me in the right direction or manufacturers/clubs to speak to whilst I'm there to ensure I don't waste such a good opportunity to gather information.

I'm fairly open to suggestions as to what car to build. My budget is £10k and once finished it'll be a second car is for road use in all weathers. I've got very limited experience with anything mechanical (a service is about as much as I've done before), but I do have a father in law who restores classics who can help if needed. I've always liked the idea of building a seven, but I'm open to non-seven suggestions (at the moment my favourite kit is the Fury - it looks stunning imo). I've got a list of manufacturers that I was going to speak to:
- Fisher
- Sylva
- GKD Sportscars
- MNR
- MK sportscars
- Leugo

Are there any other that I should be thinking about? Or any on the list that people would recommend against?

Or any other general tips that people can offer? (Basically, I'm tyring to learn as much as possible before I go out and start spending so anything I spend is done wisely)

coozer

posted on 30/4/10 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Well, its the ideal opportunity to see the cars and all the manufacturers in one place.

You will meet owners who are biased and manufacturers who will tell you there car is best.

I would check out the manufacturers first, then have a look outside at the owners examples.

If you like the MNR and come out have a look just remember mine is the worst example you will ever see

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

cd.thomson

posted on 30/4/10 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Although I wouldn't push for you to get a dax over any of the others (I'd build an MK if I started from scratch) its probably worth talking to DJ sportscars about the Rush.

IMO it does look very good, quite a bit butcher than the other 7 replicas

Craig

TimC

posted on 30/4/10 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
That seems like a good list but it is entirely possible that you will see something else you fancy. My advice is to be clear on your criteria, in terms of budget, ease of build, intended use, must-haves etc etc and ask any manufacturers whose cars you like the look of how there cars reflect your requirements.

[Edited on 30/4/10 by TimC]

40inches

posted on 30/4/10 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Stoneleigh is HUGE, the outside spaces are the place to see owner finished cars, some that you won't see in the exhibition halls. Monday looks the best day so far, Sunday forecast is heavy rain
Danozeman

posted on 30/4/10 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
For that budget a Dax rush would be in you bracket. Thats what id be building with 10k.

Westfield is in there aswell.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

jack_t

posted on 30/4/10 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
mine is a newly finnished mk with an r1 with quite a high spec will be at the show on sat and sunday most likely parked on the the mk owners club stand outside and its for sale for
£10,000 ono come and have a butchers

For Sale Thread

Finnished build thread

cd.thomson

posted on 30/4/10 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Also, youll be able to buy a car for £10k that cost a lot more than £10k to build so if you're not that excited about starting from scratch then look at the finished cars available.

I don't know jack_t and haven't seen his car in the flesh but it looks very good in pictures and is hi-spec - definitely a good example.

Craig

Colesy21

posted on 30/4/10 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jack_t
mine is a newly finnished mk with an r1 with quite a high spec will be at the show on sat and sunday most likely parked on the the mk owners club stand outside and its for sale for
£10,000 ono come and have a butchers

For Sale Thread

Finnished build thread

I've seen the pictures of your car and it does look stunning, but I'm looking for something to build otherwise I'd have turned up with my cheque book!

dave1888

posted on 30/4/10 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
I notice you dont have westfield on your list, have you discounted them. If not defo worth a look.

Colesy21

posted on 30/4/10 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave1888
I notice you dont have westfield on your list, have you discounted them. If not defo worth a look.

I always thought they were the expensive end of the market and hence it wouldn't be possible to build one for 10k, but I'll definitely add them to my list of cars to looks at.

Vindi_andy

posted on 30/4/10 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I would suggest visiting the RHOcar stand as although it started out as a Robin hood owners club its a bit of a heinz 57 now in so much as they take anyone with an interest in kitcars, a bit like locostbuilders, you dont have to be building a locost to be a member just have an interest in kitcars.

The only reason I suggested Rhocar is because there is no "official" locostbuilders stand but im sure you will see a proliferation of tshirts

I may be talking out of turn but i would say if you see a locostbuilder Tshirt treat them like the mr Whippy van i.e. "stop me and buy one" that is to say I dont think they will mind if you stop them introduce yourself and pick their brains about their car and the trials and tribulations they had building etc.

Sorry if anyone thinks I have gone too far but I know I never mind the oppourtunity to talk about my car and i get the feeling you are all the same from the comments on here. Kitcar owners/builders are a fairly small community in the grand scheme of things so we have to stick together and try and get as many others converted as possible

[Edited on 30/4/10 by Vindi_andy]

MakeEverything

posted on 30/4/10 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Ive got one of These

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

nre

posted on 30/4/10 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Not everyone's cup of tea, but I love my Mojo. Sylva sold on the rights to Meggt, who don't have a stand inside, but will be represented outside up on the JPSC area (pitch 10). Well worth a look, as pretty much everyone agrees that the Mojo looks one heck of a lot better in the flesh than in photos!

Mine is still going strong after 31k of daily use over the last 5 years. Feel free to come and have a chat! I'm around both days, if I'm not by the car mobile number will be in the windscreen of the car...

PS another notable exception is RAW (Striker manufacturer - another ex-Sylva product) as Mel is recovering from an op so won't be there, but there are sure to be some customer builds up on the JPSC stand...

Cheers,

Neil

[Edited on 30/4/10 by nre]

Sylva Mojo Zetec on GSXR750 throttle bodies...
www.mymojo.co.uk - Facebook feed

JPSC Forum - A dedicated forum for discussion on all things relating to Jeremy Phillips designed cars
Including the Star, Leader, Striker, Phoenix, Fury, Jester, Stylus, Mojo, Riot, J15 & Vectis

Lightning

posted on 30/4/10 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
What about a Spire

Steve

Colesy21

posted on 30/4/10 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning
What about a Spire

It looks a lot of fun, but what about a soft top so I can use it in all weathers?

joemotion

posted on 30/4/10 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
mmmm maybe an avon?
dogwood

posted on 30/4/10 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
My car's for sale as well

Any excuse to bring my sale up....
£5495 ono

It'll be on the locost club stand, with the Haynes guys
Just behind the MK stand..

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Lightning

posted on 30/4/10 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Lightning
What about a Spire
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks a lot of fun, but what about a soft top so I can use it in all weathers?

----------------------------------------------------------

wuss

www.spiresportscars.co.uk

[Edited on 30/4/10 by Lightning]

Steve

mcerd1

posted on 30/4/10 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
as above - make sure you leave time to have a good look round outside at the owners clubs etc.. and ask us lots of questions

quote:
Originally posted by Colesy21
(at the moment my favourite kit is the Fury - it looks stunning imo).

The Fury is made by BGH these days (they guys who do the uprated gearboxes): linky
they are normaly in one of the main halls
I got one of there boxes second hand (and never bought anything from them) but they were still really helpful to me

building a dax would really be at the top end of your budget most are more like 12-14k+ by the time they are on the road (depends spec, what you count and how honest you are with yourself)

[Edited on 30/4/10 by mcerd1]

-

russbost

posted on 30/4/10 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Furore Cars is missing from your list! Do come & say hello (goes for all the rest of you as well!)

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Valtra

posted on 30/4/10 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Agree the Fury looks fantastic may be worth checking out the mid engined "son of Fury" (forgot the name) also a real looker

"If it looks like it works and it feels like it works, then it works"

nre

posted on 30/4/10 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valtra
Agree the Fury looks fantastic may be worth checking out the mid engined "son of Fury" (forgot the name) also a real looker

J15

Sylva Mojo Zetec on GSXR750 throttle bodies...
www.mymojo.co.uk - Facebook feed

JPSC Forum - A dedicated forum for discussion on all things relating to Jeremy Phillips designed cars
Including the Star, Leader, Striker, Phoenix, Fury, Jester, Stylus, Mojo, Riot, J15 & Vectis

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.