Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Freezing in the garage- which heater?
grazzledazzle

posted on 29/11/10 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Well by a stroke of luck i happened upon one of these earlier today surplus to requirements which was donated to the car building cause.

http://www.housecharm.co.uk/items/104-4152514/JCB-24kW-InfraRed-Black-and-Yellow-Radvector-Radiator.html

will let you know how i get on at the weekend.

cloudy

posted on 29/11/10 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Don't bother heating the air - an IR heater works wonders, and actually makes you feel warm rather than just defrosting your tools
flak monkey

posted on 29/11/10 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Propane heaters are fine and dont make that much condensation, especially in a garage where its usually a little drafty.

I have a radiant tube heater in my workshop. I attached it to the wall. Its probably only about 2KW so doesnt make that much difference. A quick blast (30mins) with a propane fireball (about 14kw equivalent) is enough to take the chill off for a couple of hours as long as the door is shut.

To be honest I rarely turn it on, and just pop a few layers on. Its -2 here and I was plenty warm enough in my t-shirt and hoody with the door shut. My workshop isnt that draft free as its really a 200yr old stable with a pan tile roof.

The worst thing is handling cold metal, which just sucks the heat from your hands. Unless you can keep your garage at a constant 12deg+ that will always be a problem unfortunately.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

MikeR

posted on 29/11/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The worst thing is handling cold metal, which just sucks the heat from your hands. Unless you can keep your garage at a constant 12deg+ that will always be a problem unfortunately.

Which along with cold feet is my biggest problem. Attempt to 'solve' it this winter is gloves with two fingers and a thumb missing. Means half my hand is gloved and i can still do fine 'touch' things. The cold feet are going to be solved by putting down some old rugs - once i've finished welding.

Alan B

posted on 29/11/10 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Soft b*****ds the lot of you...

Alan

(in FL....)

OK, OK, I suffer in summer...but this is my peak wind up time against you guys....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
grazzledazzle

posted on 4/12/10 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
I can confirm the JCB heater has now been tested and it is brilliant. Thermostat to adjust the output, takes the chill of the air and the infra red thing kept me toasty. A pleasant garage experience!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.