Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: need help with gears
blue2cv

posted on 8/1/11 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
apparently that short a run of chain will overheat in very little time, approx 15 mins according to Muffet eng
T66

posted on 9/1/11 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blue2cv
apparently that short a run of chain will overheat in very little time, approx 15 mins according to Muffet eng

That is exactly why the Fiat 126 doesnt have my Quaife atb fitted -

What car is this going in do we know ?

Most of the Italian mini car series of autoslalom cars are 126,500,600 Fiats, are very small in the wheelbase, but their runs tend to be less than 2 minutes, they use chain driven diffs, with the engine mounted across the chassis, so overheating chains are not a big deal.

The engine could also be mounted behind the rear axle, with the sprocket facing forward. there is an autograss guy got a Sunbeam Stilletto with this setup. Weight distribution would be fairly wild on a wet road I would imagine.

post us some pictures ?

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 9/1/11 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
ROTFPMSL

quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
[ tongueincheek] Could you use a Mobius strip chain? Mounted inside out.
That would work wouldn't it? [/tongueincheek]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

mid-buggy

posted on 9/1/11 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
quote:
Originally posted by blue2cv

That is exactly why the Fiat 126 doesnt have my Quaife atb fitted -

What car is this going in do we know ?

Most of the Italian mini car series of autoslalom cars are 126,500,600 Fiats, are very small in the wheelbase, but their runs tend to be less than 2 minutes, they use chain driven diffs, with the engine mounted across the chassis, so overheating chains are not a big deal.

The engine could also be mounted behind the rear axle, with the sprocket facing forward. there is an autograss guy got a Sunbeam Stilletto with this setup. Weight distribution would be fairly wild on a wet road I would imagine.

post us some pictures ?

He wants to mid mount a bike engine into a mini.

T66

posted on 9/1/11 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure how well the Zcars guys get on with their chain driven diffs, but my Fiat has only 10" or so between centres, the mini has quite a bit more wheelbase than the Fiat 126 , which is tiny...

If they can get along with them, then why are you trying to do different ?

Have you tried the Miniforum ? there is a Zcars section there with lots of pics etc.

Food for thought, get yourself to the Autosport show at the NEC this weekend, there will be a stack of autograss cars there, and they are a really helpful bunch.

Peteff

posted on 9/1/11 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Get some pulleys and use a supercharger drive belt instead of chains, less noise and wear. A few bikes use belt drive.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

T66

posted on 9/1/11 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Get some pulleys and use a supercharger drive belt instead of chains, less noise and wear. A few bikes use belt drive.

Surely your going to have the very same problems a hot chain would give you ?

The Mini isnt endowed with lots of room, I would sooner put money on a chain drive setup with the atb than a belt.

Not saying belts are a no no, but his problem is the lack of room, which leads into little between the gear centres, so short chains & belts = Heat...

DRD racing were at the Autosport show - Top helpful fellas ! they build nice driveboxes, and I note they are still developing a lsd drivebox. I told them last show they would sell lots of them , they now have a picture of one, so things are moving along.

Speak to them !

http://www.drdracing.co.uk/Drive_Box.php

NS Dev

posted on 9/1/11 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
was going to say, putting a bike engine in the middle of a mini is not exactly rocket science, and certainly doesn't require gear cutting. As I said, there are two ways to do it without open chains, and without too much expense.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.