Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Megasquirt & Android phones/tablets
scudderfish

posted on 7/7/11 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Bugger me, it worked!

After a bit of fiddling with comms timing as eventhough I've got an MS1 running at only 9600 baud, I have to insert a few pauses in the dataflow so it can keep up, I got it to generate this binary FRD log file. TunerStudio then converted it into a standard MSL file and MegalogViewer displayed it. Now I need to get some sort of display going to show that there really is activity going on.

scudderfish

posted on 7/7/11 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, after my success, I put the 'full fat' calculations back in, and it worked again However, it isn't exactly performant. This chart
Description
Description

is the time in milliseconds to process the data from the MS in all its glory, averaging at about 175ms, which means just under 6 log events per second. Is this fast enough? I think I may need too routines, a slow eye candy mode with GPS logging as well, and a binary logging mode that has a faster sampling rate, but no extras such as much of a UI or extra data items such as GPS. Thoughts anyone?

Regards,
Dave

[Edited on 7/7/11 by scudderfish]

matt_gsxr

posted on 7/7/11 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
175ms is a bit on the slow side for things like Acceleration Enrichment, and for spotting problems (like electrical interference on sensors). My standard MS2 logs to my little netbook at ~60ms.

For basic logging 175ms is fine and would allow me to detect loads of basic problems.

I would worry about logging things like acceleration, braking points, or suspension movement at 6Hz (Cosworth recommend sampling suspension motion at 200Hz), but if we had an accurate GPS signal then 6Hz would be plenty for that. A higher sampling rate is good as it allows us to average to reduce errors.

If you have 175ms now, then I am sure with a bit of fiddling it will be 100ms, which is pretty close to 60ms. Sounds like a great start.

Nice work

Matt

p.s. I'm not sure of your new avatar though, preferred the Fury, the monkey scares me!

scudderfish

posted on 8/7/11 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
I had a bit of a brainwave last night. I can catch the actual runtime variables from the MS and log them (as per FRD file above) at a good lick. The slow bit is calculating all the nice stuff. This is the current list of nice stuff as per the INI file

accDecEnrich = (( (engine & 32) != 0 ) ? 100 : ((pulseWidth1-injOpen1) / (pulseWidth1-(accelEnrich / 10)-injOpen1) * 100));
batteryVoltage = (batADC / 255.0 * 30.0);
coolant = (tempCvt(table(cltADC, "thermfactor.inc" )-40));
egoVoltage = (egoADC / 255.0 * 5.0);
ego2Voltage = (fuelADC / 255.0 * 5.0);
mat = (tempCvt(table(matADC, "matfactor.inc" )-40));
rpm = (rpm100*100);
time = (timeNow());
egttemp = (egtADC * 3.90625);
lambda2 = (table(fuelADC, "WBlambda100MOT.inc" ) / 100.0);
afr2 = (lambda2 * 14.7);
afr = (egoADC * 0.039216 + 9);
lambda = (afr / 14.7);
TargetAFR = (afrtarget * 0.039216 + 9);
TargetLambda = (TargetAFR / 14.7);
barometer = (table(baroADC, "kpafactor4250.inc" ));
map = (table(mapADC, "kpafactor4250.inc" ));
throttle = (table(tpsADC, "throttlefactor.inc" ));
advSpark = ((advance * 0.352)-10);
KnockAng = ((KnockAngle * 90 / 256));
KnockDeg = (-KnockAng);
CltIatAng = (CltIatAngle * 90 / 256);
CltIatDeg = (CltIatAng < 45? CltIatAng: -90 + CltIatAng);
fuelvolt = (fuelADC < 1 ? 0.0 : fuelADC * (5/255) - 0.5);
fuelpress = (fuelADC < 1 ? 0.0 : fuelvolt / 0.04 +1);
altDiv1 = (alternate1 != 0 ? 2 : 1);
altDiv2 = (alternate2 != 0 ? 2 : 1);
cycleTime1 = (rpm < 100 ? 0 : 60000.0 / rpm * (2.0-twoStroke1));
nSquirts1 = (nCylinders1/divider1);
dutyCycle1 = (rpm < 100 ? 0 : 100.0*nSquirts1/altDiv1*pulseWidth1/cycleTime1);
cycleTime2 = (rpm < 100 ? 0 : 60000.0 / rpm * (2.0-twoStroke2));
nSquirts2 = (nCylinders2/divider2);
dutyCycle2 = (rpm < 100 ? 0 : 100.0*nSquirts2/altDiv2*pulseWidth2/cycleTime2);
Open_Time1 = (1.0);
Open_Time2 = (1.0);
InjectorRating1 = (100);
InjectorRating2 = (100);
dutyCy1Real = (rpm < 100 ? 0 : InjectorRating1*nSquirts1/altDiv1*(pulseWidth1-Open_Time1)/cycleTime1);
dutyCy2Real = (rpm < 100 ? 0 : InjectorRating2*nSquirts2/altDiv2*(pulseWidth2-Open_Time2)/cycleTime2);
veCurr = (veCurr1);
pulseWidth = (pulseWidth1);
iTimefull = ((iTimeX*65536)+ iTime);
RpmHitmp = (iTimefull > 0 ? (60000000 *(2.0-twoStroke1)) / (iTimefull * nCylinders1) : 0);
RpmHiRes = (RpmHitmp > 20 ? RpmHitmp : 0);
vacuum = ((barometer-map)*0.2953007);
boost = (map < barometer ? 0.0 : (map-barometer)*0.1450377);
boostVac = (map < barometer ? -vacuum : (map-barometer)*0.1450377);
floodclear = (tpsADC > 200 ? 1 : 0);
Timeroll = (portc & 4);
waterIlog = (porta & 16);
MAFVolts = (fuelADC * 0.0196078);
nosActive1 = (( (portd & 2) != 0 ) ? 0 : 1);

However, I don't really care about all of those at run time. I only need to calculate the half dozen I'm using in the UI whilst I'm running. When the user presses the 'Stop logging' button I can then run over the full set with info I read back from the FRD file, mix in some captured GPS and accelerometer stuff and generate the full fat MSL file in a few seconds.

The best I can get out of the 9600 baud interface is a sampling rate of about 26Hz, lets see how close I get.

scudderfish

posted on 8/7/11 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, cutting the calculations down to this

coolant = (tempCvt(table(cltADC, "thermfactor.inc" )-40));
mat = (tempCvt(table(matADC, "matfactor.inc" )-40));
rpm = (rpm100*100);
lambda2 = (table(fuelADC, "WBlambda100MOT.inc" ) / 100.0);
afr2 = (lambda2 * 14.7);
map = (table(mapADC, "kpafactor4250.inc" ));

results in

Description
Description

which isn't nearly as dramatic as I'd hoped. Time to figure out how to do accurate profiling in Android.....

matt_gsxr

posted on 8/7/11 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Perhaps those lookup table commands are demanding, I know on the MS they interpolate.

On the MS there isn't much memory, you could pre-calculate the mappings into an array and then use the integer value for each of the parameters as an index to that array. It would be fast, and I doubt the Android has much in the way of memory limitations.

Just a thought

Matt

scudderfish

posted on 8/7/11 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I've been doing software dev for 20+ years and it still catches me out I forgot my performance mantras

You can't optimise what you can't measure
Premature optimisation is the root of all evil

Getting the data is a three step process

1) Get the data from the MS
2) Convert the raw data bits into something more amenable to manipulation in Java
3) Run the calculations.

I assumed point 3 was where the time was being spent. Turns out I was wrong.

getRuntime() 104.77
populateUserVars() 4.17
recalc() 30.49

The comms side of it is running too slow. I had added some delays to sort out what I thought was data corruption (turned out to be crap in the buffers), so I'll pull those out and see what happens.

scudderfish

posted on 10/7/11 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
I've gone public

https://github.com/scudderfish/MSLogger

No releases, but the source is there. If an installable app is an ExtraEFI MS ECU, this is a random collection of unlabelled electronic components.

scudderfish

posted on 10/7/11 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Perhaps those lookup table commands are demanding, I know on the MS they interpolate.

On the MS there isn't much memory, you could pre-calculate the mappings into an array and then use the integer value for each of the parameters as an index to that array. It would be fast, and I doubt the Android has much in the way of memory limitations.

Just a thought

Matt

The table functions are a simple lookup which is nice and fast. Android apps do have a hard limit of 16Mb. More than available on the MS, but still somewhat constraining

scudderfish

posted on 21/7/11 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ooo, a bit of progress

I've got it writing out both a binary FRD file and a more usable MSL file. I just converted the FRD file with TunerStudio, and apart from my time function not working and a couple of fractional rounding differences, it's a match.

scudderfish

posted on 2/8/11 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I had a bit of an epiphany. I was bending over backwards to parse standard INI files, and it was burning a lot of CPU time on devices that are CPU constrained. I assume most users do not hack around the INI file to add their own equations for logging. You can do that by feeding the MSL file into Excel and chomping on it there. I was never planning on letting people upload their own INI files. Therefore, I'm basically rewriting from scratch. Out the window goes all the INI parsing and processing, in comes a set of predefined ECUs, starting with MS1Extra & MS2Extra, with others added as people actually ask for them. If I do this, then the data processing time should effectively disappear, which frees up more time for logging and the user interface whilst getting as close as possible to running the serial connection as fast as the bit rate will allow. MSLogger is dead, long live MSLogger!

scudderfish

posted on 17/8/11 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'm now making quite rapid progress on this. A bit of scripting can do the heavy work of converting MS INI code into Java code. For example, this bit of line noise:-

cat output.txt | grep -v '{' | grep -v '#' | sed -e 's/^[ \t]*//' | grep -v '^;' | sed -e 's/scalar,//' | sed -e 's/[SU]16/getWord(ochBuffer/' | sed -e 's/[SU]32/getLong(ochBuffer/' | sed -e 's/bits,[ \t]*U08/getBits(ochBuffer/' | sed -e 's/[SU]08/getByte(ochBuffer/' | sed -e 's/\[\([0-7]\):\([0-7]\)\]/\1,\2);/' | sed -e 's/".*//' | sed -e 's/,[ \t]*$/);/'

just converted the output section of an MS2extra ini file into a chunk of Java to convert the byte buffer into a set of variables. I'm posting it here so I don't lose it

scudderfish

posted on 7/10/11 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Oops, long time since I've updated this. I was on the verge of abandoning this as I was struggling to get a reliable connection between my ECU and phone. After much thrashing around I've got something that works. I'm now producing FRD and MSL log files at about 10Hz. A lot of the overhead appears to be in the Android Bluetooth subsystem so there isn't a lot I can do about that. On a plus note, my MSL log files now contain longitude, latitude, bearing, speed, accuracy and millisecond time. I'm thinking of making this available for test now. If you are interested you will need :-
1) An Android device running at least Android 2.2
2) A paired bluetooth serial adapter.
3) An MS firmware I support. Currently it's limited to MS1/Extra format 029y3 as that is what I have and MS2Extra Rel 2.1.0q (what Matt has). I'm probably going to implement MS2Extra Serial310 tonight as that is the latest MS2Extra firmware. If you have any particular request, send me your INI file for inclusion.

Email me at dave@smithfamily.org.uk if you want to give this a go.

Regards,
Dave

matt_gsxr

posted on 10/10/11 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I need to upgrade my San Francisco to 2.2 (not a big deal I am told), and get hold of a Bluetooth adapter.

Can you suggest a suitable adapter?

scudderfish

posted on 10/10/11 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
I got a single one of these LM TECHNOLOGIES (TWIN PACK) BLUETOOTH RS232 SERIAL PRINTER DUO ADAPTOR LM048SPA2 | eBay for about £25.

This could be useful http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-RS232-Bluetooth-Module-DB9-Interface-/270739589434?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0956493a#ht_5277wt_1199 or this one looks a bit more professional http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-Serial-RS232-Adapter-Class1-100meter-range-/260851969761?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item3cbbfd2e e1#ht_820wt_1199

If you search ebay for 'RS232 bluetooth' you'll also come up with a bunch of bare boards that could be mounted directly on the MS. I haven't done that, but I might do in the future.

The important thing is to get TunerStudio talking to the MS over bluetooth first as that will isolate BT problems a lot easier than trying to do it all on the phone.

Regards,
Dave

scudderfish

posted on 10/10/11 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Incidentally 2.2 is a minimum, I'm running 2.3.3 at the moment.

matt_gsxr

posted on 10/10/11 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I will get on with 2.3.3 and bluetooth tomorrow.

Won't be ready to try it out your stuff until next week though.

scudderfish

posted on 11/10/11 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
I've developed a small program to digest INI files and spit out Java code, this should speed up adding new firmwares. It also lets me find which firmwares are actually identical (for as far as I care), such as 2.1.0p and 2.1.0q. Right now the software generates a .msl and a .frd file. The frd is basically a binary dump of the datastream from the MS and you can use TunerStudio to convert it to an msl file. I generate both to sanity check the msl generation. Before I let this out, I'll also add an application log file so I can hopefully figure out what went wrong when it crashes. It doesn't send any updates to the MS, but until it has proven itself take a back up of your tune and don't go out without a laptop loaded with TunerStudio in case it craps all over your map. This will be a beta release so don't volunteer and expect a polished application. Have I put everyone off now?

Regards,
Dave

scudderfish

posted on 11/10/11 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Incidentally, it's home page has moved to https://bitbucket.org/scudderfish/mslogger/wiki/Home . I'll be using this for documentation, bug tracking and feature requests.

Regards,
Dave

matt_gsxr

posted on 11/10/11 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'm getting there, updated to 2.3.3 gingerbread today, very easy.
Now to order a bluetooth to serial thingy

scudderfish

posted on 11/10/11 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Well I just created the 1.0 MSLogger.apk file ready to test I'm hopefully going to have a chance to do a smoke test against an MS2 ECU later this week. If it passes that I'll email it out to those who have volunteered.

Regards,
Dave

hobbsy

posted on 11/10/11 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
How are you finding devloping on android generally?
scudderfish

posted on 12/10/11 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
How are you finding devloping on android generally?

I like it a lot. I've previously attempted iPhone coding but I couldn't get on with Objective C. I wrote some stuff for the Nokia N900 in Python & C++ which was quite fun, but a technological dead end. My day job is writing large systems for telcos in Java & Oracle, so doing Java on a hand held device is a refreshing change, but not too far out of my comfort zone.

scudderfish

posted on 13/10/11 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
I've just emailed the beta version out to the testers. If anyone else wants a crack at it, let me know.

Regards,
Dave

HowardB

posted on 13/10/11 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
watching this with interest as I will get a tablet in 2012, and already have MS on the car,...

very good work

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.