Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Selling car
carnut

posted on 9/4/11 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Selling car

Since I have advertised my MK indy, Ive had lots of interest from the continent. I'm being very cagey with them because I'm not sure if they are scammers. However the exchange rate does make things cheaper for them. Ive basically said to all of them that they can buy the car if they turn up at my door with pound sterling cash. Has anyone sold cars to people on the continent.
Mark

Steve Hignett

posted on 9/4/11 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Just sold my Golf last week to a guy in Germany...

Apart from dragging his feet when replying to me via email and text (which you could possibly put down to language barrier, but were talking days to reply not hours) the transaction went over very smoothly...

[Edited on 9/4/11 by Steve Hignett]

designer

posted on 9/4/11 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
If they give you the money, give it to them.

A large deposit, non refundable, by bank transfer is a good idea.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Guinness

posted on 9/4/11 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I sold a Landy to a guy from Holland a couple of years back.

The deal was he turned up with cash in £ and took the car away. No way I was taking a deposit / organising shipping etc etc.

He turned up, but only had the folding in Euro's. But he gave me a bit extra to cover the exhange costs, and I tested the cash with one of those pens / UV lights.

Other than that, the only complication seemed to be with the V5. There is a section to fill in if you are selling it and a section to fill in if you are exporting it. But I don't think you can fill it in so it is sold to the guy and he can export it straight away, as he needed a bit of the V5 to import it into Holland.

So we did our best, photocopied the lot and sent a letter to the DVLA, who acknowledged receipt and that I'd sold the car and it was no longer my responsibility.

carnut

posted on 25/4/11 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Car is now sold. I have a deposit but the european buyer wants me to send him a copy of v5 and MOT for him to get insurance. Can a copy of these documents be used in a fraudulent way? I'm fairly confident that this guy is genuine but want to cover my back.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.