Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Smartphones
UncleFista

posted on 18/5/11 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
My Desire HD is cheaper and better than an iphone (flash, no itunes, bluetooth works) and it saves me so much time 'cos I don't have to tell everyone I meet that I have an iphone

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

blakep82

posted on 18/5/11 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
i went into the phone shop at upgrade time a few months ago, with the intention of getting the iphone 4 to see what all the fuss was, but no way was i going to pay the £200 they wanted. went in, the guy said, unless you really really really want an iphone, don't get one, the htc desire hd is better and yours for free.
and as said, i can bluetooth photos to friends!

ooh and if you don't like the qwerty keyboard, you CAN change to a normal phone number pad (pressing keys up to 4 times to get the letter you want etc)

[Edited on 18/5/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

tony-devon

posted on 18/5/11 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
samsung galaxy S, every test and comparison I have done with mates iphones, only 2 areas of comparison did the galaxy S not quite match up, on the screen brightness, highest setting, the iphone was a tiny bit brighter, but who runs them at full brightness anyway, and the galaxy s doesnt have a flash for the camera

other than that, the galaxy rocks, very fast connection to the net, huge selection of android apps, I download free music, average song comes down in about 8-10 seconds I guess.

theres a few apps for SMS etc that are worth downloading that are better than the supplied software, but just personal choice

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 18/5/11 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Mini-0pera is the tool for browsing not Orange world.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

40inches

posted on 18/5/11 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
On my second HTC Android phone, don't know how I managed with my previous Nokia N thingy.
Have got an upgrade due in June and as it happened my wife is doing a comparison between Apple, Blackberry, Android and Windows Phone 7 (She gets paid for doing it) and I am very much liking the look of the Windows phones, she finishes on Saturday so I will make my mind up then, wifey has already made her mind up, Windows Phone for her.

JoelP

posted on 18/5/11 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
As others have said, not all smart phones are the same by a LONG way. Try all the rest then try an iPhone.

I'm certainly with others on the hating iTunes, but I rarely have to mess around with that to be honest. I only plug it in occasionally to check for updates and back up.

The thing with the iPhone is that it just works out the box and is incredibly simple to set up and use, unlike a lot of other smart phones.

Think you have a point there. There seems to be a bit of messing about setting it up, and they do say that the iphone works straight out of the box. Youd expect that i suppose since everything on the iphone is from the one company. However, there are a lot of down sides to the iphone, not least the price. I got the htc desire s, and if you assume that a mobile contract is going to cost a tenner a month whatever you get, then the phone has only cost me £200 extra over the contract (£440 all in). The iphone4 is i believe £35 ovr 24 months so costs £600 ontop of your basic £10 a month contract, or £840 all in. £400 pounds extra!

What is bugging me is the following, all minor things that i can sort but it takes time to work out and tackle each:

emails arrive into two seperate locations and need deleting from both
it has content control on locostbuilders!
You close the internet browser but its not really closed. I like it as it is on a computer, you close it and its gone.
Keyboard is great but id like proper arrow keys to move the cursor.
So much junk preloaded to remove.
Ive got rid of orangeworld now (except content control takes me there too )
no instructions with the phone, just a quick start guide.

Anyway, its growing on me. I cant believe how stressed it made me yesterday!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

britishtrident

posted on 18/5/11 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
To get rid of content blocking you need to call 450 and get Orange to turn Orange Safe Guard Off

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

FASTdan

posted on 18/5/11 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I can't believe people are still buying iphones given the ridiculous price

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
David Jenkins

posted on 18/5/11 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
I'm the same - I think the iPhone (and iPad) are very clever machines, but I'm not prepared to pay the high premium for owning them. I am also uncomfortable with Apple's way of business and their view of customer relations.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.