Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I have had enough
Paul TigerB6

posted on 18/7/11 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bartonp
"problems keep happening" - sound like car ownership!

or marriage!!!

PSpirine

posted on 18/7/11 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I started out with a mini and had it for four years, and went through all the troubles you've experienced... random mechanics failing etc. etc.

And it ended up being an irrational money pit that looking back on the choice now I would've much rather spent the money on a sorted 200sx which would've been fast, reliable etc.

But I learnt more from sorting out the mini and learning from it than I ever would have done otherwise. And trust me, if you sort your mini problems out and live with it, then when it comes to putting a kit car together with (perhaps not all, but a lot of) new components, it will seem like absolute heaven compared to battling with rusty bolts etc.

It also gives you a bit longer to actually figure out what you want and can get from a kit car - you do need to do a bit of research as to insurance, and anything else you'll need. There are a LOT of tools, space, storage, parts, odds and ends that you'd never think of that start adding up when you build from scratch.

I hope nobody here lynches me for it, but if what you want is a semi reliable car to use on sunny days, that's still fun and has character, may I gently nudge you towards having a look at something like an Mx-5? If you're good with a welder, there are some really good cheap projects to be had, and you can cut your teeth on that for a year or two, actually enjoy driving it in that time (which you won't be able to do if you start building a kit car) and then use that experience to build what you want.

However, if you do decide to just sell up and go for a kit, then you'll find an incredible amount of assistance, knowledge and encouragement on this forum!

Kwik

posted on 18/7/11 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
my intentions wasn’t to build a kit, no money or garage space. but to buy one second hand.

only problem is it wont have a roof, which wont matter as i wont need it at uni, and will only drive it in the summer break...

my dream car would be a lotus 7 s4 GT, basically a 7 with a hardtop and gull wing doors... one day....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
morcus

posted on 19/7/11 at 03:42 AM Reply With Quote
My dream 7 is something simmillar, I saw a picture of one of the gull wing GT's and from then on I wanted one.

I reckon you could make a hardtop fairly easilly, I've seen alot of hard tops on 7's and most look home made.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.