Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Breaker Bar - Recommendations
ssc28

posted on 27/12/11 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Breaker Bar - Recommendations

I've just managed to breakk my Britool breaker bar this afternoon trying to remove a very tight wheel bolt. As I was helping it with a small scaffold tube at the time I really only have myself to blame.
Can anyone recommend what to buy next, 1/2" drive say 600mm long, decent quality at a fair price being the requirements.

HowardB

posted on 27/12/11 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
thought the Britool stuff was lifetime warrenty?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

ssc28

posted on 27/12/11 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Not when you abuse it in the way I did. I've had it 20 years and it has had some rough treatment too.
Toprivetguns

posted on 27/12/11 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Id rate halfords tooling better than britool. Plus get some discount with your trade card.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

flak monkey

posted on 27/12/11 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Halfords Advanced stuff is good (used to be Halfords Pro). And apparently is made by Britool... no questions asked on exchanges. However I have given my 1/2" breaker bars a lot of abuse (one had a 6' length of scaffold pole on last week) and I haven't broken or bent one yet....

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

lotusmadandy

posted on 27/12/11 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I use kamasa half drive gear,ive had it 20
Years and its never failed.
I use my britool 3/4 drive breaker bar with an impact
reducer for heavier work.
Highly rated imho.

Andy

Stott

posted on 27/12/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Halfords pro is Sykes pickavant, exactly the same stuff, even the same type font on the tools, the torque wrenches are a good example, just a different colour that's the only difference, that and the fact they are almost half price.

As for the breaker bar, just get a cheapo. I've got a laser one that's had a lot of stick and it's still going strong, cost £15

Also, if it's got a lifetime warranty then just take it to a dealer and ask for a new one, abuse or not they don't care.

I've had Sykes spanners changed on a tool van that I bought in halfords because I tried to engrave my initials onto them and chipped the chrome off! (stuff goes missing a lot in main dealer workshops)

hillbillyracer

posted on 27/12/11 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
I broke my 3/4" drive Britool bar & it was replaced no questions asked. But the replacemnt was not the same, Britool were bought out long ago (by Facom I think who in turn I've been told are now part of the group that has Stanley?).
Britool is now a notch or two lower in quality than it would be in the past & I expect much of their stuff comes from the same places as Draper Expert, Sealey Premier etc which to be fair isn't bad stuff.
I've got a Britool 1/2 drive socket set but I've seen a set in an identical case apart from the colour, same shape, layout, moulding etc but slightly different sockets & a lesser quality ratchet.

jollygreengiant

posted on 27/12/11 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Its not cheap, but I not broken it yet, even with longer than 6ft scaffold poles, the handle I use is the shorter one of the two that you have to buy as extras. Then use step down to 1/2" drives.

Linky

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

mad4x4

posted on 27/12/11 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
I broke the handle end off a draper one... Even the motor factor said "how the Hell" and I replied "ahhh landrover 27mm Wheel nuts....."

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

jollygreengiant

posted on 27/12/11 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
Its not cheap, but I not broken it yet, even with longer than 6ft scaffold poles, the handle I use is the shorter one of the two that you have to buy as extras. Then use step down to 1/2" drives.

Linky

edit bit --
3rd attempt at this. First attempt something decided that it wasn't going to post up the (Linky) properly. even when editing it.
2nd attempt, something decided that when I posted it, I hadn't put up a header or any post content.
So 3rd times a charm, no Idea what happened.

2nd Edit bit

Definately got some gremlins going somewhere. as a deleted post is now showing.

[Edited on 27/12/11 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

AntonUK

posted on 27/12/11 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for the halfords pro mine has been abused an no sign I issues yet
ssc28

posted on 28/12/11 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys, it looks like my first port of call will be to a local Britool dealer to see if they will honour their lifetime warranty. If not it looks like a Halfords Pro one as a replacement.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.