Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Supercharged Zetec.
jeffw

posted on 15/3/12 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting stuff....The RAW car made pretty much the same power as mine has done, but on 12psi rather than 9psi that I had, last night on Omex's Dyno. The Zetec in the 'other' Phoenix has the stock head and a stage 1 cam. Omex are going to change the pulley on the RAW car and, when that is mapped, Richard at Omex will have the extra information needed to make the decision on pulley and belt for mine to get it upto 350-360BHP.

All this means that there doesn't appear to be an inherent issue with the belt and it means that mine doesn't have a big boost leak.

So it will be.....next week ! I seem to be saying that a lot recently.

jeffw

posted on 22/3/12 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
So...it turns out I've bought a crap intercooler which is dropping 6psi over it and it can't keep the inlet temp down under 40 deg. So new intercooler is going to be the priority but....

250HP and 200 ft lb at the wheels on 8.7psi is pretty good. That equates to 290BHP and 235 ft lb at the crank.

coozer

posted on 22/3/12 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw

Getting close to being ready. Really neat intercooler mounting by the boys at FSC

Wheel arches are finished and I think they look good

And the new steering wheel and boss

[Edited on 22/2/12 by jeffw]

GET SOME COVERS ON THAT CAMBELT!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

jeffw

posted on 22/3/12 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Nope....not happening.

coozer

posted on 22/3/12 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Nope....not happening.

Ok, you'll be sorry when that left hand tensioner lets go and that little metal tang snaps off and makes the belt jump.....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

jeffw

posted on 22/3/12 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yeap....I will. But since that is inside any belt cover already how does your suggestion help at all?

[Edited on 22/3/12 by jeffw]

coozer

posted on 22/3/12 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
The cover is snug and when it lets go you'll hear it and the bits wont fly around all over the place.. common fault with blacktop tensioners on boosted motors.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mabbs

posted on 22/3/12 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thats a lot to lose just over the intercooler but figures are superb anyway. I have gone charge cooled due to being transverese. I hope the flow through the unit is OK as it was custom built and cost a bit !!

Currently plumbing it all in to get it ready for the RR week after next - fingers crossed !

[Edited on 22/3/12 by mabbs]

jeffw

posted on 22/3/12 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
No but they will be contained in the belt area where they can cause chaos...

jeffw

posted on 22/3/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
I was wondering about charge cooling as there appears to be only a 0.5psi drop on some of them.

Obviously mine needs to be worked on a bit more but I'm 85HP up...at the wheels compared with the engine NA.....not bad for a start. In fact it makes more now at 4500 rpm than it did at 7500 before.

jeffw

posted on 24/3/12 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Picked the car up today. It made 250hp at the wheels and 200 ft lb. There are significant pressure losses on the intercooler (6psi) which reduced the boost at peak power to 8.7psi. There is also some more boost to come from the pulley size and dropping it (around 5psi). So with a decent intercooler and a pulley change we should get the car to 300 Wheel hp (around 340BHP).

It needs bigger tyres !

dlatch

posted on 24/3/12 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
really love the upgrades jeff
i also tend to agree the way the supercharger delivers the power will make it much more use able in a light weight car.

we will require trackday footage though just to confirm this

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jeffw

posted on 25/3/12 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
It is a little 'traction limited' in the first 3 gears....I need larger tyres

My first sprint it next Sunday so should get some footage then.

jeffw

posted on 25/3/12 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Three steps forward...two steps back. Did some work on the car this morning and then went for the first proper drive...

The dipstick is being blown out of tube (not completely but clear of the o-rings which is putting a fine mist of oil onto the exhaust under full boost....so that needs fixing. Which is slightly better than what I thought was going in when there was smoke coming out from under the bonnet under boost !!!
The whining noise from last year which I thought was the gearbox and should have been fixed....isn't : . It appears to be the diff and it is making a racket Need to get it fixed, probable the CWP needs replacing.

But....by god its quick !!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited on 25/3/12 by jeffw]

[Edited on 25/3/12 by jeffw]

beaver34

posted on 25/3/12 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds great fun, little issues no worrie sorting them

What size wheels and tyres are on the back?

beaver34

posted on 25/3/12 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds great fun, little issues no worrie sorting them

What size wheels and tyres are on the back?

jeffw

posted on 25/3/12 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
205/60 13" at the moment.

jeffw

posted on 2/4/12 at 05:38 AM Reply With Quote
North Weald Sprint yesterday and the first proper run. Car was OK.....ish.

Nursing some issues through the day, oil being blown out of the dipstick being the most obvious. It appears the engine has been over-filled with oil and, on boost, it is forcing it out of the dipstick rather than into the catch tank. I need to drain the overfill and sort out a new catch tank.

The other issue appears to be the lift pump can't keep up with the demands of the 690cc injectors and the Bosch 044R pump so that the Bosch runs noisy and it cut out straight after one run. I need to look at the Facet pump and any filters to make sure it is moving enough fuel upto the swirl pot. Must say I am tempted to get a new tank and fit the high pressure pump in the tank which would do away with a lot of needless pots/hose/pumps etc.

The remaining two issues where less serious. Number one was I was taking it easy as the Phoenix never likes the bumps at NW with the live axle and number two is the tyres....I need a set of Avon ZZRs in A24 compound. Anyway ...9th overall with a 88.27sec but 3rd in class having been beaten by Steven Laing in his Caterham R500 with sequential box on ZZRs (85.11 and 1st in class) and Paul Bowden ( Caterham R400 also on ZZRs 85.57). Paul did a 83.94 in practise and then had a series of wrong routes.

So pleased and annoyed/depreased in equal measure. Video below but with no datalogging this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RriQYyrM2NA&feature=youtu.be

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 2/4/12 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Jeff...

Was that a Borough 19 sprint you were at? Only reason I ask is me and the Old Man sprint his luego with B19, and i'll pop over next time if you are about.....

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 2/4/12 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Ah just checked the vid, it was the Sevenoaks and District one.

If you cross paths with the B19 ones, look out for a red and yellow velocity. come and say hi!

jeffw

posted on 2/4/12 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Back to NW on the 21st (I think) which is a B19 one?

jeffw

posted on 6/5/12 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
A good day today at Debden although with mixed weather.

I ended up 2nd in class with a 67.x sec run, 7th overall and was beaten by Paul Bowden (by 1 sec) and some single seaters. First real competitive run for the Supercharged Phoenix, 2nd run I was running out of fuel on the last few corners and the third run I outbraked myself into the roundabout (always a sign you haven't done your best time when you have to select reverse during a run !).

http://youtu.be/QiwYVg4m7uA

[Edited on 6/5/12 by jeffw]

T66

posted on 6/5/12 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Isnt this it ? red Fury at Stoneleigh

jeffw

posted on 6/5/12 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Nope....

That is the Raw Phoenix which has the same Omex kit on it as mine does...so there are two Red Phoenix(es) with supercharged zetecs in them

T66

posted on 6/5/12 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Roger - I am not current with the names of kits, and mix up the similar Fury shape cars easily, as its the only one of that style I know.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.