Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4x4 donor..are all going to be heavy set ups
w.olly

posted on 8/4/12 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bj928
if your going 24v cosworth u will need a 2.9 4x4 sierra, the older 2.8 4x4's had the type 9 4x4 box, the 2.9 had the MT75 box, u will need a v6 box as the bellhousings are not removable to change from a straght4 bellhousing, i have stuffed the 24v into loads of different vehicles and they are a great engine, but the type 9's don't last very long so go MT75

Thanks for that kida, i get this thinking from my 4x4 off road days, but i know also of the type 9 G/box being weaker than the MT75, but with the car being so lite si this still so a bad G/box for a Locost.

I will be getting a complete ford 4x4 donor and getting a granada 24v to swap with, as the MT75 are like gold dust and when found they are mad money, the 2.9i 4x4 will be big money towards the 2.8 4x4 when got complete, well thats how i see it....?

Thanks for help mate

wolly

matt_gsxr

posted on 8/4/12 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
There was a fiat panda 4x4, can't have weighed much.

What about bmw 330xi that was 4x4 (okay not available in RHD so not many in UK, but) various suppliers of kits for BMW parts.

w.olly

posted on 8/4/12 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
There was a fiat panda 4x4, can't have weighed much.

What about bmw 330xi that was 4x4 (okay not available in RHD so not many in UK, but) various suppliers of kits for BMW parts.

One thing missing there though for me the V

w.olly

posted on 8/4/12 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by w.olly
quote:
Originally posted by bj928
if your going 24v cosworth u will need a 2.9 4x4 sierra, the older 2.8 4x4's had the type 9 4x4 box, the 2.9 had the MT75 box, u will need a v6 box as the bellhousings are not removable to change from a straght4 bellhousing, i have stuffed the 24v into loads of different vehicles and they are a great engine, but the type 9's don't last very long so go MT75

Thanks for that kida, i get this thinking from my 4x4 off road days, but i know also of the type 9 G/box being weaker than the MT75, but with the car being so lite si this still so a bad G/box for a Locost.

I will be getting a complete ford 4x4 donor and getting a granada 24v to swap with, as the MT75 are like gold dust and when found they are mad money, the 2.9i 4x4 will be big money towards the 2.8 4x4 when got complete, well thats how i see it....?

Thanks for help mate

wolly

Sorry getting mixed up, its the RWD MT75 thats hens teeth.

bj928

posted on 8/4/12 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
few bits found with a quick search

Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1989 Grey Breaking for Spares | eBay

sierra 2.9 - 4x4 engine and box cradle complete | eBay

SIERRA V6 4X4 MT75 GEARBOX XR4X4 2.9 12V 24V COSWORTH | eBay

w.olly

posted on 8/4/12 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
I found them also mate, i have been mooching

I would rather get a runner so then atleast i know i will get something half decent, i think LOL.

I had a few V6 colonge engines a year or so ago, both superb engines, but daft sod sold them, even had the MT75 4x4 box, sods law init.

Another thing is that i want a full acr so its easyer on the IVA and reg etc etc.

Real Looking forward to this, i know a lot will say it will be another unfinished build in a year or so, but i will enjoy trying mate

popstar

posted on 26/6/12 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
newbe old stuff

hi all i am getting a 7 chassis soon and have swapped ma mondao for a sierra with a 2.9 v6 (nice) picking up the topic it will be goining in ma 7 with the 4x4 drive system but whats the heavy bit sorry if i sound stupid but taking a v6 lump from a ford siera wieghing 1200 kg and a bit with standard 150ish BHP (but will be pimpt abit) and putting it in a chassis with wheels wieghing in at 550-650kg is a massive boost what am i missing sorry again for bieng bit nieve if you like

also any help with build would be great

to make is better than to buy unless its a ferrari

chillis

posted on 26/6/12 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Best 4x4 set up for a roadster type car would be twin bike engine, I seem to remember Tiger did one a while back and Tiff Needell drove it (and blew it up) on fifth gear. V quick and super light but I suspect not cheap.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.