New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dreamliner
britishtrident

posted on 3/1/13 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Is it not that the airports can't handle the number of passengers that would fit on these planes if they had the same sort of seat density as a regular plane? I'm sort of on the periphery of the industry myself and I'm sure people from Airbus and Rolls Royce have both said this about all the new really big planes.

The 787 isn't really a big aircraft, it's not that different to a 767 size wise which fits at most UK airports. As far as I know there are no special requirements to handle one.

But the current version is just the intial version just about any reasonably successful transport aircraft I can't think of from the DC1 onwards has been stretched in both length and span.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

sdh2903

posted on 3/1/13 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Is it not that the airports can't handle the number of passengers that would fit on these planes if they had the same sort of seat density as a regular plane? I'm sort of on the periphery of the industry myself and I'm sure people from Airbus and Rolls Royce have both said this about all the new really big planes.

The 787 isn't really a big aircraft, it's not that different to a 767 size wise which fits at most UK airports. As far as I know there are no special requirements to handle one.

But the current version is just the intial version just about any reasonably successful transport aircraft I can't think of from the DC1 onwards has been stretched in both length and span.

True, however the big problems are with wingspan. The wingspan on the -9 and proposed -10 dreamliner is the same as the -8 (current model being built). The A380 causes big issues due to its monster winspan, double decks for the Airbridges and also the catering trucks reaching the upper deck.

morcus

posted on 3/1/13 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
You seem to have missed what I was saying any way, it's not so much the size of the plane, more the space and staff you'd need to move around the extra passengers, I mean just think about the last time you were at a majoy airport and imagine twice as many people.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

sdh2903

posted on 3/1/13 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Yes but the 787 only carries 280-300 max at present so wouldn't cause these issues, those statements were made when the A380 was brought in suggesting it could carry 800+ in all economy configuration, which i may be wrong but no-one flies an all economy A380 (yet).

Most airports can cope with Large aircraft now, Glasgow (a small airport) copes with a 777-300 daily (400+pax), Virgin 747's, Airbus 330/340etc etc.

morcus

posted on 3/1/13 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
I don't want to start an arguement, but thats exactly what I was saying, that they don't pack it full of seats which is what someone else asked.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.