Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Haynes Roadster parts wanted
diggaguy37

posted on 21/1/13 at 05:36 AM Reply With Quote
Haynes Roadster parts wanted

Hi all,I have just bought a Haynes Chassis built to Chris Gibbs book.It is in almost rolling state with only rear uprights for sierra drum rear end and shocks and wheels to sort.CA18DET engine and gearbox mounted.

1) Does anyone have a set of protech shocks and rear uprights for sale new or minimal use? For mostly road use is 300 front,200 rear spring rate right?

2) In time I will be looking for scuttle,dash,bonnet with bulge,rear guards,nose,sides rear panel,fuel tank etc .What Im not sure about is how well do the fibreglass panels fit/line up to home built chassis or am I better to make the panels myself out of sheet steel.Intersted in your opinions.If they fit ok and good quality I would buy fibreglass just dont want to send to NewZealand to find they dont fit and are rubbish.
Anything else that you think will help with build that will save me money would be much appreciated.

wish I live in the UK lol,so many great options of parts,still air frieght aint to bad.Cheers Jason

designer

posted on 21/1/13 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

wish I live in the UK

Tell us where you are.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 21/1/13 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
quote:

wish I live in the UK

Tell us where you are.

"I would buy fibreglass just dont want to send to NewZealand to find they dont fit and are rubbish."

ashg

posted on 21/1/13 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
you want 220's on the back of the roadster. i have tried 200 220 and 250 and the 220's seem like the best compromise between ride and stiffness. 300's on the front are spot on unless you fit a v6-v8

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

40inches

posted on 21/1/13 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
May be worth contacting this company, not dealt with them myself though.
Or perhaps not http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=176076

[Edited on 21-1-13 by 40inches]

Talon Motorsport

posted on 21/1/13 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say make as much as you can your self,parts such side panels and rear tub/boot can be done in either steel or ali sheet. It depends on what your aim is ie cheap use steel if lightness is your aim then use ali but then it will cost more. The bonnet and scuttle is fairly easy to make in steel sheet if you have access to a tube bender to make a buck to form it over. I have a record plumbers bender and it's good enough to get a decent bend in 22x1mm tube. Clamp the edge of the sheet over the buck then heat it to keep the shape, the scuttle will need a basic frame under to keep it in place. This in my effort:

[Edited on 21/1/13 by Talon Motorsport]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 21/1/13 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
There's no reason why fibreglass panels from Equinox/Saturn shouldn't fit your chassis. If you built it to book spec then it'll fit.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.