Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what makes a car suitable or not for veg oil?
MikeRJ

posted on 28/1/13 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bashracing
[Edited on 27/1/13 by bashracing]

The 306 1.9 Turbo Diesel is still a reliable engine and has greatly improved performance over the non-turbo, and fuel economy is pretty much the same. Unless you are some kind of masochist, there's little point in buying the old normally aspirated diesels.

looking at 51 reg onwards the last of the 1.9td was 1999

In that case the listing is still wrong as it says it's a 90bhp version.

NigeEss

posted on 28/1/13 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

Something thats confusing me though now, saw an advert the other day for mcdonalds, says they run their lorries on the used cooking oils, but surely they're all common rail diesels? How can they do it?
Is there a difference between just putting old filtered oil in, and processing the stuff with all the methanol and sodium hydroxide you can buy? Will it run in newer cars by changing it to biodiesel/biofuel?

Used cooking oil is processed before using in that application.

Spend a fair few quid on preheating systems and special filtration and anything will run on bio. You'd have to be
doing huge mileages to offset the cost though. There is a company local to me that I deal with that converts trucks and
stand alone generators. The boss and his wife run brand new Mercs running on 100% bio, obviously converted at
the companies expense.

My 200Tdi 90 will run on pure cooking oil quite happily.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Not Anumber

posted on 28/1/13 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
The 300 Turbodiesels in the early round eyed Mercs run fine on pure veg oil. Performance wasn't that far off the later 320cdi engines (which wont run on veg oil).
GeoffT

posted on 30/1/13 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

So, after reading through all the links, am I right in this: Plain veg oil, ie SVO or WVO filtered, moisture removed and straight in the tank is only really suitable for older engines, and not newer common rail diesels Converted bio can go in common rails, but the acids/alkali (cant remember which it is) can rot hoses and seal Thats what ive got from vegetableoildiesel.co.uk However, dieselveg.com says you can use veg oil in common rails, with no mention of converting it, except you need to reduce the vicosity and pump it into a warm engine, and this can be done with heat exchangers to warm the oil to around 70 degrees, and starting and stopping the engine on diesel with a 2 tank system. Is that about right? Obviously still need to make sure the pump is up to it, diselveg have kits, and talk of 2005 vw vans running veg oil. Kits cost the same as about 5 or 6 tanks of diesel. Depending on where you can get veg oil from (chippy, kebab shop etc) and how they get rid of their old oil, which ive still to investigate, you could pay it back pretty quickly tbh...

.....that all sounds ok, you've done some good homework there.

From my experience with veg I would say twin tanking is the only way to go, trying to get almost any cold diesel engine to start on veg (svo or wvo) is unreliable at the best of times.

Wintertime is when you really start to get problems, trying to get the stuff to flow when the temps get down towards zero is not easy. Keep the pipe work fairly large (at least 10mm fuel pipe) and try to remove any restrictions in the feed line. Use any method you can to get some warmth into the vegoil before switching over to it. Some kind of thinning agent (I used up to 10% petrol) helps too.

Any cartridge or paper element type fuel filters will block fairly quickly using veg, I used to replace them with the inline transparent ones with a fine nylon mesh filter. These also have the advantage that you can see the crud building up in them and give them a flush out when necessary. I used to buy them on ebay, I'll see if I can find a link to them.

Hopefully the kits you mention address most of the issues, but you'll probably find that you still have to do some further mods to get a reliable system - it can be done though, and like you say the savings are well worth it.

Edit to add: Something like 5 X LARGE UNIVERSAL INLINE 8 - 10MM FUEL FILTER FILTERS DIESEL BIO VEG FF4 | eBay would do the trick, make sure the ones you get have 10mm (or greater) connections though. At a couple of quid each you can just throw them away if they get blocked...

[Edited on 30/1/13 by GeoffT]

Peteff

posted on 5/2/13 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
It has to be a diesel.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Ninehigh

posted on 5/2/13 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
It has to be a diesel.

So that's why my astra ran like a bag of crap!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.