Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Change of career - help!
scootz

posted on 9/7/13 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
Not that i know anything about the subject - but aren't there such things as underwater welders? Have you thought about that?

There are... I have a cousin who is one. Makes an absolute fortune, but the job is super-tough (you spend half your time in a cramped diving bell).

It's Evolution Baby!

daveb666

posted on 9/7/13 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F_C089Cweg
luke

posted on 9/7/13 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
IVe heard alot of good things about deep sea divers too.

Aparently there is alot of diving on offshore oil rigs and wind farms, especially up in the north sea. Very dangerous work but comes with the pay packet to suite.

Son of a family friend is a diver in the Navy and was recently diving in the north sea disarming unexploded ammunition that is sat on the sea bed. Aparently its in the top 10 most dangerous jobs in the world!

Slimy38

posted on 9/7/13 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
A little off the wall, but you could be an IVA inspector.... would be nice to have an insider when it comes to getting our kit cars sorted!
cjwood23

posted on 9/7/13 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
I looked into the whole diving thing a couple years back.

When I looked they seemed to prefer welders who could dive as oppossed to a diver who could weld. THe welding courses are quite intense and getting the required standard can be tricky unless you have some welding knowledge.

The Police on occassion do use civilian divers - West Midlands Police have no Underwater unit (closest support is Leicester), so use a local charitable trust. They're all trained to the required diving standards, which doing it voluntarily/part time can take a while. I used to train with them, and have friends who are still part of the trust.

Have you considered Civil's diving? this would be more inspection, contruction and cleaning work. You'd have to pay for the courses up front and getting work initially could be an issue - but if you have some 'back up' income that's probably not too much of an issue. Be prepared for some shitty work though i.e. diving in sewage works...... One of the guys who worked in the local Dive shop went the civils route - he seemed to be enjoying it last time I spoke to him (which was a while ago).

As I said, I looked into this a couple of years back - didn't get very far though (thankfully) as I had to quit diving for medical reasons....

Good luck though in whatever you decide to do!

Chris

DarrenW

posted on 10/7/13 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
eznfrank - i have just sent you a U2U regarding a contract position that sounds right up your street.
eznfrank

posted on 10/7/13 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Darren,

Thanks for sending me this. I've responded to your u2u. Sounds like a good job on fairly decent money but I think I'm more inclined to look for something paying a fraction of that but doing something I actually enjoy.

I'll send it on to my mate though if you don't mind, he's just finished a contract out in Dublin and is lookign for something like this.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.