Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec gotchas
Greg Haupt

posted on 1/3/14 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec gotchas

Have stripped a 2003 Ford Focus to use as a donor for a locost build. I intend to fit a t5 gearbox to the 2ltr blacktop. I have got all the wiring harness and ecu. My question is that the donor car was an automatic and as stated I will be running it as a manual. What do I have to look out for. There were a lot of wires that went to the auto trans.
Thanks for any help.

samjc

posted on 1/3/14 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Find an ecu pin layout for the plug and remove whats not needed n have the ecu tuned to your needs. That or go aftermarket ecu and loom. Dont forget youll need the key and barrel for imobaliser.
rusty nuts

posted on 1/3/14 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
You will need a flywheel , an 1800 flywheel is popular,clutch assembly a manual type crankshaft position sensor and bracket and don 't forget the spigot bearing
chrism

posted on 1/3/14 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
I have a similar issue, I am using a Toyota v6 which had an auto gearbox from a 1993 Camry in an 2000 MR2 with a manual gearbox. Having found a service/operation manual I've found that I can wire up the input to the ECU to make it think the shifter is in neutral so it wont be expected to change gear and affect the engine timing, etc. I havent't finished yet so dont know if I will have to attach resistors to the wires that would have gone to the solenoids on the autobox to trick the ECU into thinking that they are still there so it doesnt throw a fault code and go into failsafe mode.

The Ford your using is newer so not sure if the auto control might be more advanced or not but you will definately need a wiring diagram to help, unfortunaltely it might have been easier to work it out with the car still in one piece as you could have pulled all the connections from the autobox and then put it in neutral and seen if the engine behaved OK or threw up errors. What you will have to do now is find out what all the wires connected to and how to terminate them.

If you still have the autobox you could try taking all the bits out that the wires connected to and plug them all back in along with the shifter and set it to neutral like above and see how it works.

[Edited on 1/3/14 by chrism]

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

me!

posted on 1/3/14 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Bigwasa is the guy to speak to about using ford factory ECUs. As already mentioned, you'll need a manual crank sensor adaptor (I believe the sensors are the same) to get the correct spacing to the flywheel
big_wasa

posted on 1/3/14 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote

As said the crank sensor housing will need changing.

I would ditch the auto ecu and use a manual. You could keep your loom and chop it up to fit anything you like.

The Focus over here uses a 64 pin ecu and the Mondeo a 104pin ecu.

Some wiring info for you Link

And the same thread on the Hynes site where builders have added specific info on the focus ecu Link 2

And another builders additions with some good info Link 3.

Greg Haupt

posted on 2/3/14 at 01:23 AM Reply With Quote
Hey fellas thanks a lot for you replies, all very good info. A question for Big Wassa, I accept that the best way to go would be with an ecu from a manual. The problem over hear in Aussie is that the focus isn't all that common and a manual even rarer, I am having enough trouble sourcing a 1.8 ltr flywheel. So the question, is the auto ecu usable or more trouble than it is worth. By the way my ecu is 104 pin , the I.D. Tag has many numbers I think the I.D. # is EEC-V.
big_wasa

posted on 2/3/14 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
I am not saying it can not be done, but I would guess its not going to be easy. I suspect it needs way to much info from the gearbox to make it worth while. Due to being so cheap over here ive never had to try.

If you have a little time to be patient they come up over here for next to nothing and I am sure some one will post one out to you.
I had a look yesterday and I only have a 2.0 silver top ecu left so not much use with your sensors.

I have paid as little as a quid plus post on ebay and I refuse to pay more than £25 compared to £600+ for a basic Omex 600 over here.

Greg Haupt

posted on 2/3/14 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Wassa. I believe you are giving good info. It is early days for my project at the moment, but you will probably hear from me in the future. Thanks for your help.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.