Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto to duratec? Using type 9
Shaunk10

posted on 12/5/14 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto to duratec? Using type 9

I know this has been done to death but,

I really don't want to sound too stupid, I have spent ages now looking on the threads and websites but have yet to find a step by step guide or anything to really help me out

Now I have limited knowledge and skill.

I'm running a sierra dif and type 9 gearbox with the pinto engine all from a 1983 sierra estate.

I do really need to have the exhaust still leaving down the right hand side of the car as it is at the moment.

So what I have found is an alloy bell housing which connects the type 9 to a duratec engine £200
I have also found a spigot bearing for the gearbox shaft? Not sure if it's needed or what but that's £13

At home I have a inlet manifold I planned on fitting to my pinto and then fitting bike carbs (which I never bothered to do)
Now without sounding stupid can I carry on fitting this manifold to the new duratec engine, and would this then allow me to fit some bike throttle bodies (again I take it these are basically fuel injected carbs?).

How would all the electronics work out? Would I have to scrap all the electronics from under the dash? So all the old sierra dials and cables? And then replace them with a new type of dash from a donor car with the duratec engine? Would this make everything easier?

Would the new ecu just wire up to the battery? What about immobilisers etc?

Thanks for any help again

se7ensport

posted on 12/5/14 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
For a parts list see this thread:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=156937

One of my lasts posts:

"Engine conversion is now complete; I'd hoped it would take 2mths, instead it was just shy of 10mths and budget went over by 40%!

I took the car for it's first drive yesterday and it feels really sweet, will need a rolling road session to get the most out of the engine, but for the time being it's good enough.

Final list of parts:
Engine
Engine Mounts
Exhaust manifold
Silencer
Sump
Bell housing
flywheel
clutch
spigot bearing
Inlet manifold and TB's
Airbox and filter
Alternator
Alternator mount
ARP Bolts
Oil filter relocation
Silicone hoses

My conversion was running an after market ECU from the previous engine, I'm sure it is possible to use the original ECU and chop the loom about. Use the search function, it is all here and been asked many different ways.

snapper

posted on 13/5/14 at 05:21 AM Reply With Quote
If you buy a Duratec exhaust manifold flange you can cut the Pinto one off the Pinto exhaust manifold and weld on the Duratec one
Saves a lot of cash

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

TrophyJem

posted on 13/5/14 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
I'm 90% of the way through swapping my pinto for a duratec.
Nothing from your pinto is going to directly fit I'm afraid, so your inlet manifold will not fit at all.
If you are moving to throttle bodies from carbs as I did, you will need an engine management ecu, I went for a megasquirt as it's diy and you'll also need a swirl pot, additional return to the fuel tank and a high pressure pump, regulator etc.
I've found the conversion is lots of effort. I've been 5 months of every evening and weekend. Not trying to put you off but it's good to be aware. Oh and lots of cash!

neilp1

posted on 13/5/14 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
I have just completed the build of my Duratec powered tiger. I searched this forum and asked questions and I must admit without the forum I would have struggled as this is my 1st build. As mentioned it is quite costly! So I'd search anything Duratec on here and anything else your unsure of ask.
FuryRebuild

posted on 13/5/14 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
I'm part way through similar, and there are many advantages to doing this:

• serious reduction in unsprung weight (40kg)
  • really tunable up to a specific point - 210BHP; after that the pistons may melt. Ford designed a great lightweight piston, but it's designed to a specification. Aftermarket pistons and great matched solutions are available from people like SBD Developments, who have a brilliant reputation in this business.
  • great though pintos are, bits are going to start getting expensive
  • you get to have all the bits of the engine on the same sides as before
  • you can keep your carbs if you want to
  • your analogue gauges will still work

However, there are other factors

• cost - everyone will agree it's not a cheap solution. Don't forget you'll want to change the clutch, replace all cooling hoses, etc.
  • you need spark management even if you keep the ford induction setup - you will still need an ECU
  • In nearly all installations, the oil filter positioning is right where a chassis member is, so a remote solution is needed
  • Engine mounts are very different, but not hard to weld up at all.
  • assuming you're going to fuel injection, you will need all the associated fuelling (filter, pump, lines, swirl pot, new tank, fuel level sender, etc.)

But, taking that lot into account, it's still worth it for the end result - it's not hard to get 270bhp from these if you add the right bits. I think everyone who's gone to that route is happy they have.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.