Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  8    9    10    11    12  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2011 Spire GT-3 RGB Racer
Andy D

posted on 27/4/16 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Just watched the last vid first.. Did you not see the yellow flag!! . you know, this handkerchief sized bit of rag I was fluttering at you as you were doing 100mph plus into paddock hill ..

That's an amazing looking car.

adithorp

posted on 27/4/16 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Saw you at Oulton between races but you looked busy and stressed so I didn't butt in to say hello.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Andy D

posted on 27/4/16 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Saw you at Oulton between races but you looked busy and stressed so I didn't butt in to say hello.

He always looks like that.

Nice going matey, mixing with the big lads this year.

loggyboy

posted on 27/4/16 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Great vids and great action. I was shouting advice at it like you could hear me and the race wasnt several days ago!!

Please reverse/hand the rear view camera - I keep expecting to see a car come up on one side only to find it on the other when it gets to front view!

What are your plans for next year as I noticed the team are moving away from RGB?

Mistral Motorsport

yellowcab

posted on 28/4/16 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Adi - Oulton wasn't our finest weekend, double headers are always stress, not to mention the atrocious weather t-boot! LOL

The plan for later this year, and 2017 onwards is to race in 6hr Endurance Races across Europe in the Dunlop Britcar Championship & Pirelli Superlights Challenge in a Praga R1-Turbo

We shall be competing in the final two rounds this year at Snetterton & Assen

40inches

posted on 28/4/16 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Wow! Want one http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/reviews/a5438/praga-r1-a-slovakian-supercar-arrives-on-our-shores/

http://www.pragaglobal.com/cars/praga-r1/

[Edited on 28-4-16 by 40inches]

Brian R

posted on 29/4/16 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
Watched race 1 at Brands from the bottom of paddock. Looked good. Well done on your podium Olly.
yellowcab

posted on 29/4/16 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
That's the one Dave &#128522;

Cheers Brian, rather happy with some of the race craft I pulled out the bag, always learning

Andy, we're up at Croft next on 21st May if you fancy hooking up for a coffee in the race awning?

Andy D

posted on 29/4/16 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Andy, we're up at Croft next on 21st May if you fancy hooking up for a coffee in the race awning?

Shall try and make it.

Are you doing the Friday test day?

yellowcab

posted on 29/4/16 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Yes sir, there all weekend from Thursday night through to Sunday &#128077;&#127995;

Then off to the Slovakiaring to test the new beast

Andy D

posted on 29/4/16 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Shall probably drop in on the Friday.. if I remember.. and if it's not still snowing.

International licence upgrade eh?

I've never heard of Praga R1 turbo, it looks fantastic.. what the spec?

yellowcab

posted on 30/4/16 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
So its basically a carbon fibre honeycomb composite monocoque which isn't dissimilar to the one used by F1 cars. The design sports a front and rear mounted crash box, and side mounted crumple zones

Single-seater super sport interior, with optional two seater configuration for passenger ride days

Power is 390bhp @ 6750rpm
Torque is 400lbft @ 4200rpm
Rev limit at 7000rpm

Engine is a F4R 832 Turbocharged 1998cm3, 4cyl, 16v, mid & longitudinally mounted

It generates downforce at 1.5x of its bodyweight, so theoretically enables it to drive upside down, which means it generates upto 3G of lateral force in corners

It weighs 670kg, roughly 580bhp/tonne

loggyboy

posted on 30/4/16 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
F4r is a Renault lump. Same as my clio.... minus turbo and 200bhp!

[Edited on 30-4-16 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Andy D

posted on 30/4/16 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
So its basically a carbon fibre honeycomb composite monocoque which isn't dissimilar to the one used by F1 cars. The design sports a front and rear mounted crash box, and side mounted crumple zones

Single-seater super sport interior, with optional two seater configuration for passenger ride days

Power is 390bhp @ 6750rpm
Torque is 400lbft @ 4200rpm
Rev limit at 7000rpm

Engine is a F4R 832 Turbocharged 1998cm3, 4cyl, 16v, mid & longitudinally mounted

It generates downforce at 1.5x of its bodyweight, so theoretically enables it to drive upside down, which means it generates upto 3G of lateral force in corners

It weighs 670kg, roughly 580bhp/tonne

It's a proper beast. Don't be tempted to test that driving upside down theory!..

yellowcab

posted on 24/5/16 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys - not sure if anyone follows this thread anymore, but thought I'd update it.

It was nice to see Andy D at Croft cheering me on and supporting the rest of VR Motorsport.

If you follow us on Facebook then you'll already have read all about it
https://www.facebook.com/vrmotorsport.co.uk/

If not - Race weekend synopsis as follows:

Race Report: #30 Oliver Hewitt / Croft Circuit

Qualifying:
Olly had some decent free-air in qualifying having got to the front of the queue immediately behind fellow VR team-mate Al Boulton - they lead out to the circuit, where Olly stuck with Al for a couple of laps before Al realised he was probably holding Olly up a little so let him through.

After 4 laps we had a red-flag, very unfortunately caused by Al Boulton who'd misjudged the exit to the chicane taking out the tyres, at this point sat in pit lane Olly was currently on pole P1 (for his first ever time)

After the circuit restarted, the two works Spires of Billy Albone & John Cutmore managed to get down to business and get some cracking laps in, pushing Olly to the second row of the grid on P3 for both races.

Race 1:
Olly got moved up to the front row of the grid in P2, after Billy got a 5-place grid penalty for the happenings at Brands Hatch.

His first ever time of staring down an empty circuit in P2 front row was a little daunting, but Olly got off the line cleanly, but no better than John Cutmore who had been promoted to pole.

Turn 1 seen Olly slot in behind Cutmore, and with Al Boulton not giving Olly any room to make any error, a few laps unfolded when Olly felt lack of power and the engine note change, before he realised his exhaust had come off…

With visions of Donington Park of last year and the fire - Olly had to make the very tough decision heading into the Complex of Lap 3 to retire from the race giving his P2 away, and finished with a DNF.

Race 2:
Olly this time started in his rightful P3 on the second row behind the works Spires, and alongside fellow MC53 driver the of Scott Mittell.

The red lights went out, and Olly hooked up really well threading the eye of the needle and driving straight between the two Spires and managed to get to Turn 1 first - leading the race for his first time

Conscious not to make any rookie errors, Olly very gingerly got through turns 1, 2 and 3 before harpooning out of the chicane heading down towards Tower.

He lead the race for 4 laps before making a slight hiccup exiting the chicane due to Al Boulton dropping oil and Billy got a tow on him down to Tower sending Olly to P2, then on the following lap the slippery surface of Hawthorn caught Olly out giving Cutmore & Mittell a gap resigning Olly to P4 where he took it home.

Adrian Moore the Committee Representative awarded Olly with the Driver-of-the-Day award, his 5th so far… but still no win!

Onboard race footage to follow shortly
Photographs courtesy of Aaron Lupton

[Edited on 24/5/16 by yellowcab]

yellowcab

posted on 24/5/16 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote

yellowcab

posted on 24/5/16 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote

[Edited on 24/5/16 by yellowcab]

Andy D

posted on 24/5/16 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Second race was a cracker! I was standing over by the chicane, so got a good view of the start.. proper job!

Now you've got a taste for the front, I expect you'll be up there a bit more often now Olly?

yellowcab

posted on 24/5/16 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy D
Second race was a cracker! I was standing over by the chicane, so got a good view of the start.. proper job!

Now you've got a taste for the front, I expect you'll be up there a bit more often now Olly?

If it wasn't for Al Boulton spraying oil everywhere I'd wouldn't have got wayward and lost those places!

I certainly feel more and more like I deserve (and can hold my own) up there with the big dogs!

loggyboy

posted on 24/5/16 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hi guys - not sure if anyone follows this thread anymore, but thought I'd update it.

Certainly do! Keep up the good work... here and on track!

Mistral Motorsport

yellowcab

posted on 30/5/16 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Due to it being a 20minute race, and starting in P3 and finishing in P3, we have cut it down to a short 10minute highlight video including onboard, front, rear cage, rear & external footage and end of race footage, celebrations, parade lap car & podium at the end of the video.

Race Report:
Olly got invited by father / son racers Darcy & Josh Smith to race at the CCRC Sports Trophy at Castle Combe on bank holiday Sunday.

Typically in the 750mc RGB formula, Olly thought it'd be a good idea to have a dabble on full slicks, opening out the front louvres on his MC53, fitting a tonneau cover and add some downward strakes onto his rear diffuser.

Olly's previous fastest lap in RGB trim was a 1:08.580 in his Spire GT3, and in free practice and first time on the circuit in the MC53 he managed a 1:07.528.

In the couple of hours between free practice and qualifying, they made some changes by winding off some camber, and adjusting the front toe to suit… and also a gearing change as Olly was hitting the limiter in 6th gear too early over Folly towards Avon Rise just before Quarry Corner.

Out in Qualifying, Olly managed to knock another 4 tenths off his PB and got a 1:07.138 putting him first in class, and 4th overall on the grid (but P3 failed to turn up on time)

During the race, Olly did his first rolling start which went according to plan, managed to maintain P3 off the line, and hold position for the first lap, and maintained the position throughout the race getting an overall P3, and 1st in class C

Driver: #30 Oliver Hewitt
Team: VR Motorsport
Car: Mittell MC53
Engine: Suzuki GSXR1000 K8

Massive thanks to all that turned up to help, support, cheer on, thanks to Al Boulton for the external footage, which makes this video what it is. Also Darcy & Josh for the invite!

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_tpi3hEit8

Andy D

posted on 30/5/16 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Cracking result Olly, and a great vid with some nice touches at the end.

Looking at the photos, did you lower the car for this event?

yellowcab

posted on 30/5/16 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh we ran a lower ride height, but in hindsight it was too low, as was stalling the air to the rear diffuser

Hey ho, learn something all the time

yellowcab

posted on 2/6/16 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
https://vimeo.com/168959872#t=800s
Andy D

posted on 3/6/16 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
https://vimeo.com/168959872#t=800s

I watched that yesterday. ..you got plenty of the limelight there didn't you! Shame you missed out on the podium, I'd have liked to have seen your interview technique.

<<  8    9    10    11    12  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.