Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheap Oil
johnemms

posted on 18/8/14 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap Oil

Hi Guys .. any obvious reason why I cant put this in my Zetec ?

Oil Link .....

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

loggyboy

posted on 18/8/14 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Been using this very happily in my 172:

(albeit not the ford version)

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/engineoils/5w30-engine-oil/?521776071&0&cc5_247

There's usually an offer on or code that makes cheaper than that too, I haven't paid more than £13.99 for the past few times ive bought it.

Mistral Motorsport

whitestu

posted on 18/8/14 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Should be fine. I use this which is the same price: Carparts4 less 5w30 fully synth

Stu

whitestu

posted on 18/8/14 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Snap!
johnemms

posted on 18/8/14 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
That looks a better product - same price & delivery too..

loggyboy

posted on 18/8/14 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
If you don't need it straight away, wait a week, its bound to come on offer again, they have them every other week.

Mistral Motorsport

britishtrident

posted on 18/8/14 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
There is not much difference between any of the cheaper fully synthetic oils, unlike mineral oils there are hardly any additives added to the blend so unless you paybig bucks for an ester based synthetic you are as well just buying supermarket own brand.
These cheaper synthetics are not quite as good as expensive ester based synthetics but they are very good much better than mineral oil or semi synthetics.

Ester based oils have an extra safety margin before they breakdown at ultra high temperature but supermarket synthetics are much superior to mineral oils and more than adequate for any high temperature they will be exposed to in a piston engine.
Where expensive ester based synthetic engine oil has a major advantage over cheaper synthetics is if you live above the Arctic circle as will flow during cold starts below-20c.
These days even Mobile 1 is not 100 percent ester synthetic.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Snuggs

posted on 18/8/14 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Why not use THIS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

mark chandler

posted on 18/8/14 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Cannot see why not as it's made to standards, I just change mine every year really irrespective of the miles or when it starts looking dirty.

Oils are not equal, I had a range rover with a diahatsu 2.8 diesel that had bearing knock on halfords own was silent on millers although both looked the same on the bottle

[Edited on 18/8/14 by mark chandler]

v8kid

posted on 18/8/14 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Cannot see why not as it's made to standards, I just change mine every year really irrespective of the miles or when it starts looking dirty.

Oils are not equal, I had a range rover with a diahatsu 2.8 diesel that had bearing knock on halfords own was silent on millers although both looked the same on the bottle

[Edited on 18/8/14 by mark chandler]

Yup I had the same problem with a 2.2 duratec that was solved by replacing the halfords oil

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 18/8/14 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snuggs
Why not use THIS

Good shout, slightly less quantity but a good price.

Mistral Motorsport

ReMan

posted on 18/8/14 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hope its OK!
It was flying out of the door not so long ago when I was there and picked some up. It's jut gone into the RAV as like said you'd like to thing that 5/30 FS of a decent brand should work in anything……..

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

britishtrident

posted on 18/8/14 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Back 70 years ago some oil blender in the USA discovered mineral engine oils made from crude from some areas ofthe Gulf of Mexico had special properties it flowed better at low temperatures and maintained good viscosity at high sump temperatures, they were also exceptional clean lubricants free from inherent contamination.
Word quickly spread and created a speciality performance oil market in the USA. Which is why companies such as Millers and Valvoline are still well known.

Around. 1960 multi grade mineral oils were developed by major oil suppliers but were made from cheaper feed stock and required extensive additive packages.
The problem with oil additives is that they wear out and break down so the less additive percentage required to achieve the required performance the better.

The cheaper modern synthetics are made from catalyticaly cracked mineral oils as a result they exceed all the best properties of even the best traditional speciality mineral oil.

[Edited on 18/8/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

johnemms

posted on 19/8/14 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Sorted

Read this - Choose your oil Oil Bible Linky...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.