Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zx10 engine position
OliilO

posted on 3/1/15 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
My Mac 1 has a shortened passenger footwell meaning the engine is pushed more rearward. Additionally, the engine is parallel with the top chassis rail too and I've not experienced any prop related dramas.
Rosco86

posted on 3/1/15 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
No he sprints in the l7c and raced a radical pr6. He's awesome!
Basiclally arc build the cradles for caterham hayabusas and if you don't have the shortened passenger footwell you have to cut it out and shorten it to get the motor in and the caterham is tiny already. Smallest 7 chassis I've driven anyway

Would an amateur driver notice the engine position do you think?

Rosco86

posted on 3/1/15 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OliilO
My Mac 1 has a shortened passenger footwell meaning the engine is pushed more rearward. Additionally, the engine is parallel with the top chassis rail too and I've not experienced any prop related dramas.

That's cool to hear, how's it drive if you've got that far, you got any pictures?

kj

posted on 3/1/15 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Zx9 sitting back no probs good drive

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

OliilO

posted on 3/1/15 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
I can find some pictures over the next couple of days if you want. Seems to handle well, but then again, I'm pretty incompetent so probably wouldn't be able to detect much difference.

I suspect ultimately, whatever you do, it'll still be highly capable. Remember, if you mount it rearward you get more room for an intercooler when you turbo it in a few years time...

daniel mason

posted on 3/1/15 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
You'd probably not notice too much really on road tyres! You'd notice a hell of a lot more from good dampers,correct spring poundage, the best brakes you can fit under 13" rims, a good geo setup, and. As much weight loss as possible without compromising safety,rigidity!
Oh and decent rubber!

Rosco86

posted on 4/1/15 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Right think im going for right back, im not going to go crazy and put it in the pasenger seat, but ive chopped the upright out so the generator cover can go back, then one side of the engine mounts can be against the bulk head im thinking, also this makes the prop quite a bit shorter

Also im mounting the engine parrallel to the centreline as it puts the output shaft on centreline

What do you think?

wylliezx9r

posted on 4/1/15 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good to me, my only concern is, is the front left corner of the rocker cover going to interfere with the bonnet ?
Also i,ve just been lookin through your earlier pictures, the bike sprocket seems a lot higher than my old zx9r install, can you lower the engine height at all ?

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

Rosco86

posted on 4/1/15 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah i think there just high on a zx10, the sump is about an inch below the underside of the chassis, i wanted it flush but dropped it a bit more so ive got a bit more clearence for the exhaust

The top of the engine is about 140mm above the top chassis rail at the min

As for bonnet clearence, heres a pic, ive not got a bonnet yet, i can move it over a bit more

Cheers for your input!

wylliezx9r

posted on 4/1/15 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I would move the engine a tad further in toward the centre line so that you definitely have clearence of the bonnet. Would be a shame to have to cut a chunk out of the bonnet especially in that area as it can't be hidden by a scoop. Even better beg/borrow/steel a bonnet off somebody for a trial fit.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

Rosco86

posted on 5/1/15 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
I would move the engine a tad further in toward the centre line so that you definitely have clearence of the bonnet. Would be a shame to have to cut a chunk out of the bonnet especially in that area as it can't be hidden by a scoop. Even better beg/borrow/steel a bonnet off somebody for a trial fit.

Cheers for that, as I hadn't really thought about the bonnet

Well spoke to AB performance today, real nice chap with some good ideas backed up with some good evidence,

So I've moved it again, haha

Think I've got clearance around everything that I need to have

So Tatley off the haynes forum who lives not to far from me has kindly lent me his body work so I can mock things up

Looking a bit like a car!

There's a bit of clearance over the top, this is saturn body work but I'm holding that the exquinox may be has a bit more

OliilO

posted on 5/1/15 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
You can't leave us all hanging...

What's the reasoning for moving it to there?

BigMac

posted on 5/1/15 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good Roscoe- one point, are you planning on using a standard airbox or something different? Overall position looks good, but there doesn't seem much space from the throttle bodies to the bonnet... From looking at the pictures, my relatively flat MAC1 box may struggle to get under that bonnet the way it is, unless you're planning on running a different bonnet or just dropping a filter over the top of the bodies?
jeffw

posted on 6/1/15 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
The Fury Menace has the engine alongside the driver but both engine and driver where moved to the middle of the chassis

Rosco86

posted on 6/1/15 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OliilO
You can't leave us all hanging...

What's the reasoning for moving it to there?

Haha, sorry,

Access to all areas of the engine, to save removing the engine if anything needs replacing

Keeping some weight upfront to help keep some heat in the tyres

Height wise, keep the sump flush with the bottom of the chassis, this means you can run the whole car an inch lower than if the sump was sitting below by an inch,
I thought this was really good advice and made a lot of sense

On the piss, just seems to fit better for the exhaust and loads are mounted like this so must be ok for the prop

Rosco86

posted on 6/1/15 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
The Fury Menace has the engine alongside the driver but both engine and driver where moved to the middle of the chassis

Sounds good but it's a little extreme for me!

Rosco86

posted on 6/1/15 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigMac
Looking good Roscoe- one point, are you planning on using a standard airbox or something different? Overall position looks good, but there doesn't seem much space from the throttle bodies to the bonnet... From looking at the pictures, my relatively flat MAC1 box may struggle to get under that bonnet the way it is, unless you're planning on running a different bonnet or just dropping a filter over the top of the bodies?

I'm not really sure mate, I don't want to drop the engine down as I want the underside flush, and an inch wouldn't solve the problem, looks like I'm going to have to mod the bonnet with a scoop or just use a filter like you say and let it sit out the top, also I've got to refit the top injectors,

Rosco86

posted on 6/1/15 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
How about one of these?

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=195749

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.