Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 250-300bhp reliable engine choices
jeffw

posted on 5/6/15 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote

this is exactly my point. Max power is at max revs and torque just keeps on rising

velocitykendal

posted on 5/6/15 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
I can't see the need for supercharging or turbo in a 7 which is 240bhp to start with?

Torque?

wylliezx9r

posted on 5/6/15 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Crikey Rotrex chargers aint half expensive though, TTS want close to a grand just for the brackets and pulleys

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

jeffw

posted on 5/6/15 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
You where expecting to build a car for £250 then? It is a fair price for the amount of R&D and manufacturing that goes into it. Of course I'm sure you could do it cheaper.....

Oddified

posted on 5/6/15 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
As with many things in this hobby, the cost all depends on what you can do yourself. I only bought the supercharger kit itself (charger, pipes, oil cooler, filter..) and then made my own mounts/pulleys/pipework/intake etc.

Ian

Dopdog

posted on 5/6/15 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
ROTREX, its the only way to go
Ben_Copeland

posted on 5/6/15 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall Z20LET will go to 300bhp easily. Mines 272bhp and 309ft/lb torque

Relatively cheap and much easier to fit into a 7 than the Saab motor.

View the link in my signature for build thread

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Worzey

posted on 5/6/15 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Loving the Rotrex charger in mine. The linear power delivery isn't spikes at all and helps get the power down in the 20v 4AGE.

I'm "only" running at 248bhp which is more than enough for general road use and can't really see myself adding any more.

As said before, they aren't cheap but they are incredibly good value

Caterham R400

froggy

posted on 6/6/15 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of the torque issues with turbo set ups are to do with sizing the turbo and controlling boost as it comes in . I've gone over to a ball bearing blower and have boost linked to rpm and throttle position to avoid huge torque issues . At somewhere like blyton I'm around the same performance in a straight line as the quick lightweight sevens with 450hp and 880kg . Round corners is another matter but I enjoy myself .
From what I've seen the sevens with over 250hp seem to have a harder time connecting it to the Tarmac than the bike engined stuff

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

cal

posted on 7/6/15 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hey guys just thought i would add in my thoughts here and actually post up for the first time in a few years.
I am surprised that no one has yet mentioned the 1UZFE lexus V8 engine.
Yes its a little on the large side especially at the heads with the quad cam but Ls400s can be had for c.£400 making the engine pretty much free.
The engine is 250-275bhp unopened and once you put some decent headers on it making it flow better expect more power. The torque is also pretty good.
Down side is the slush box but if Auto is not your thing then conversions with the W85 or R154 even the Toyota V160/161 have been achieved although i wouldnt suggested trying to get your hands on a V160 series as they are pricey!
If you want to destroy your rear tyres you can even add a turbo with pretty much stock everything else and the ECU and jets will happily run 6/7psi of boost without upgrades.

seems like a locost choice really.

froggy

posted on 7/6/15 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote

my chassis is slightly different to a normal 7 type as the straight run from the rear to front taper is around 10" longer than normal which gives a little more room at the front to get the heads in

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

Fcck2000

posted on 8/6/15 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Calzonii
I think im going to go S2000 if it has forged internals and can take the power upgrade at some stage in the future then that is perfect for me. Plus if I change the throttle bodies on it and get about 250 thats sweet as a nut... For now..

Just a thought 220bhp in my Super six feels like more than enough. On the roads 1st gear has to be fed in and second will leave you spinning if you keep your foot flat. So that really only leaves the last 3 gears of which you would be well over 80 in third gear within a few seconds of leaving second gear.

What I'm trying to say is 220bhp in my 600kg car is seriously quick and more power would mean just pressing the gas pedal less or spinning the wheels more.

I really think this Duratec 215bhp package is a great deal, brand new engine, ECU ready mapped all the sensors throttle bodies etc ready to just bolt in for 7k plus VAT

http://omextechnology.co.uk/Omex%20Duratec%20VVC%20MZR%20Engine%20v1_0.pdf

Obviously it could be done cheaper with a second hand engine etc

Just another option to think about

Paul

Tiger SSC
220bhp on standard MZR Duratec engine with throttle bodies and mild camshaft upgrade.

beaver34

posted on 9/6/15 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fcck2000
quote:
Originally posted by Calzonii
I think im going to go S2000 if it has forged internals and can take the power upgrade at some stage in the future then that is perfect for me. Plus if I change the throttle bodies on it and get about 250 thats sweet as a nut... For now..

Just a thought 220bhp in my Super six feels like more than enough. On the roads 1st gear has to be fed in and second will leave you spinning if you keep your foot flat. So that really only leaves the last 3 gears of which you would be well over 80 in third gear within a few seconds of leaving second gear.

What I'm trying to say is 220bhp in my 600kg car is seriously quick and more power would mean just pressing the gas pedal less or spinning the wheels more.

I really think this Duratec 215bhp package is a great deal, brand new engine, ECU ready mapped all the sensors throttle bodies etc ready to just bolt in for 7k plus VAT

http://omextechnology.co.uk/Omex%20Duratec%20VVC%20MZR%20Engine%20v1_0.pdf

Obviously it could be done cheaper with a second hand engine etc

Just another option to think about

Paul

i suppose it depends on your tyre and drive setup, i have 340bhp and have no wheel spin issues putting that down apart from if im flat in first from the off

im on r888 and axle with a plate diff

Fcck2000

posted on 9/6/15 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
I agree it does depend on setup.
Currently on 888s protect double adjustable and installed and corner weighted by Northampton motor sports. My main thought is the diff which I intend to install one of the atb variants later this year.

Honestly, with the power you have in your kit do you ever manage to keep your foot to the floor on a road for more than 3 seconds? I manage little squirts but the speed builds up so quick I end up backing off. Obvs in straight lines on dual carriage ways it might be different but I'm talking about nice driving type roads.

Paul

Tiger SSC
220bhp on standard MZR Duratec engine with throttle bodies and mild camshaft upgrade.

bombero

posted on 9/6/15 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt5964
quote:
Originally posted by bombero
quote:
I have a crated zetec jenvey said, k6 emerald, dunnell head work, cams, arp, bigger injectors, light flywheel simpson exhaustetc and have 221.3 bhp and 178.9ft/lb. [Edited on 3/6/15 by matt5964]

O/T - Out of interest, what make and duration of cams are you running? Any pics..

Custom dunnell cams.

Ain't got many pics on hear as its a faff to upload, what do you want to see?pics off have some on track, some of exhaust, engin bay?

Hi Matt, exhaust and engine bay would be much appreciated!

matt5964

posted on 9/6/15 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I have a crated zetec jenvey said, k6 emerald, dunnell head work, cams, arp, bigger injectors, light flywheel simpson exhaustetc and have 221.3 bhp and 178.9ft/lb. [Edited on 3/6/15 by matt5964]

O/T - Out of interest, what make and duration of cams are you running? Any pics..

Custom dunnell cams.

Ain't got many pics on hear as its a faff to upload, what do you want to see?pics off have some on track, some of exhaust, engin bay?

Have a look at my photo archive, if they dint suffice.. Let me know.

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

bombero

posted on 9/6/15 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Custom dunnell cams.

(Such a newbie question) but sorry, how do I do that..?

jeffw

posted on 9/6/15 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Honestly, with the power you have in your kit do you ever manage to keep your foot to the floor on a road for more than 3 seconds? I manage little squirts but the speed builds up so quick I end up backing off. Obvs in straight lines on dual carriage ways it might be different but I'm talking about nice driving type roads.

Paul

Is that you criteria for having fun in a kit?

kingster996

posted on 9/6/15 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Rab, you click the "photo archive" link with the little arrow, just above "building" under the user's details on the left of a post

[edit] - or here: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=matt5964

[Edited on 9/6/15 by kingster996]

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

beaver34

posted on 9/6/15 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I agree it does depend on setup.
Currently on 888s protect double adjustable and installed and corner weighted by Northampton motor sports. My main thought is the diff which I intend to install one of the atb variants later this year.

Paul

i find that i dont need to use more than half throttle under normal fun road usage its goes as fast as you press the pedal

or i will use full throttle up to around 4-5k then just back out as the power builds

it actually feels like you being fired out of a cannon is addictive, near enough pointless and far slower point to point then my Elise that has half the power but nothing is more fun which is what i wanted

a good diff makes a huge difference, your should not light the tyres really apart from top end of 1st i would think

bombero

posted on 9/6/15 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kingster996
quote:

Rab, you click the "photo archive" link with the little arrow, just above "building" under the user's details on the left of a post

[edit] - or here: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=matt5964

[Edited on 9/6/15 by kingster996]

Cheers, Chris!

bombero

posted on 9/6/15 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Custom dunnell cams.

Matt, photo archive is perfect - thanks!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.