Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone Running a Lithium Ion Batterie
Rosco86

posted on 8/9/15 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone Running a Lithium Ion Batterie

Looking at getting one of these for my build, just wondered what sizes people are using, I've got a bike engine with electric reverses r don't want it going flat on my IVA test

Cheers

My Build Thread

BenB

posted on 8/9/15 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I've got one. No electric reverse though. They supply good amps but have limited capacity. With an electric reverse my worry would be about the later- it takes high amps for much longer than starting an engine and the alternator just won't keep up. I suppose you could get a big lithium battery but that defeats the point. .. I'm running a "Magneti Marelli Lithium Battery MMYT14S, CCA 240A, Weight 895 grams" and very nice it is too...
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/9/15 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
there is no reason you can't just use a car battery in a BEC especially if it has other functions
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rosco86

posted on 9/9/15 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
ah ok cheers, the reason i was looking to run one is to save weight, I'm at the point in my build where i need to get a battery mounted, i guess i could run a normal battery then swap it over later, but i would prefer to just use a lithium one from the start if i could

My Build Thread

Staple balls

posted on 9/9/15 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Honestly, don't bother with anything flash while you're building, I had a lovely little odyssey that had exactly enough grunt to do what it needed to, weighed about half an ounce and was basically perfect. Until it got cold and packed up.

Now I have a big old thing I wombled off a diesel rover on the yard next door, works fine, looks naff, will fit a proper battery just before IVA.

Rosco86

posted on 9/9/15 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Staple balls
Honestly, don't bother with anything flash while you're building, I had a lovely little odyssey that had exactly enough grunt to do what it needed to, weighed about half an ounce and was basically perfect. Until it got cold and packed up.

Now I have a big old thing I wombled off a diesel rover on the yard next door, works fine, looks naff, will fit a proper battery just before IVA.

yeah ive got a big one just to test wiring etc but i need to decide where my battery is going to go so i can sort my loom out etc

My Build Thread

Mark100

posted on 9/9/15 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
got mine from furore / rusbost (on here in trader section) even got a discount he advised me about my needs mine is for a 2.0 zetec and its still less than 1 kg

[Edited on 9/9/15 by Mark100]

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 9/9/15 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Redtop 30 on my race car, been on 10 years. No alternator but I charge it twice a year and it is never a problem. I recently rebuilt a car for a customer which is fitted with a x-flow and he supplied one of those LiPo batteries, light as a feather and would seem perfect for a race car. It started the engine first try, great I thought but 5 starts later it was struggling and I had to charge it up. I have been informed that these batteries, if totally flattened will not recharge and will want binning.
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/9/15 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
tbh anyone who can claim they can actually tell the difference in their cars performance over the weight of a starter battery has been drinking one too many
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rosco86

posted on 10/9/15 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
cheers for the comments guys, i think im going to go with a normal battery for my iva then im looking at a

Type 054 205/330CCA there quite a nice size and will fit well in the passenger foot well

as for weight, i totally agree with you mr whippy but it you take that view with every component on the car the weight will soon start to add up, im just trying to keep everything as light as i can and a LI Ion batter is an easy way to shed a lot of KG's

My Build Thread

jeffw

posted on 10/9/15 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
tbh anyone who can claim they can actually tell the difference in their cars performance over the weight of a starter battery has been drinking one too many

6Kg difference between my Lithium battery and the PC680 it replaced. 6Kg is not insignificant out of 620Kg.

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 10/9/15 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Surely you dont really believe this Every 10kg off the car is worth 1 bhp at the flywheel. This might be ok in a road car but could be the reason that racing teams struggle to get every unwanted gramme off the car, if you dont need it, dont carry it. A friend did a weight skimming programme on my car at the end of last season and we removed 12kgs of unwanted weight and the differance was measurable and could have been even better if I could have taken 2 or 3 kgs of the driver......

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 10/9/15 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Its also a really good £ Per Kilo weight saving as well, you'd struggle to save that much weight for the cost of a decent battery on any other part of the car.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Rosco86

posted on 13/9/15 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, nice to no I'm one the right track some times!

My Build Thread

iank

posted on 15/9/15 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Yes, but this article explains why you might want to do it (clearly the opposite also applies)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34247629

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.